Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI Guys

just wanted to get an idea of what people are seeing out of their dual fuel 4.5 GU's.

I am only getting about 320km out of 90litres of LPG and i know i got about 400 when i first got it done. not sure why after 190,000km my economy has dropped so much but anyone got some ideas?

even running on petrol i am only gettting about 200km out of 40 litres of petrol. Just had a major service done on it and no difference and the power has dropped when running on lpg you can tell now your on LPG especially on a hill climb.

thanks
Leon

·
Registered
nissan patrol
241 Posts
I use around 24 litres per hundred on gas around town and about 20 litres per hundred on the highway not towing and around 30 litres per hundred if towing the caravan
Your gas useage does seem a little high. 320 K's on 90 litres is about 28 per hundred
No idea on the petrol consumption though cause I have never measured it

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you got normal gas or injected? anything special you guys get done during servicing?

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
350-400kms as a general rule, out of 85lt LPG. I live in the mountains so its always working. What air filter you running? They are expensive to replace but worth maintaining. My paper one looked ok but consumption has dropped slightly since I put a new one on.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
27 Posts
I drove from Mt Gambier to home the other week on 1 tank (90l) it was 458kms so that's 19.65l per 100k's. It's just a normal gas system, dyno tuned to have all mixtures right only 1 month ago.

cheers
Red

·
Registered
nissan
55 Posts
normal gas system. 370 km from 88 litres round town. 420 highway sitting on 100
Paul

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
somthing else just sprang to mind, if the viscous fan is locked up with gunk and running all the time it will affect economy slightly. My neighbour was telling me how this happened to his rodeo. Easy enough to check while engine is not running, fan should spin independant of the hub but with some resistance.

·
Registered
nissan
56 Posts
i seem to get about 25L per 100k. regardless of round town or highway... It could use a tune, so hope that will make a slight difference....

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Have you added weight, ie barwork, winch, drawers, etc?
Roofrack fitted?
Changed tyres, inclreased diamater (ie gone to 33's), or what tyre pressures are you running?
Auto or manual- time for an auto service?
Air filter replaced recently? Checked plug gap and/or replaced plugs?
Has the gas system been dynotuned?
All these things add up.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,064 Posts
If your viscous fan is running all of the time then it will make a sizable difference. In hot weather I chew fuel when the fan is running. You can feel when it locks in it sucks that much torque out of the motor.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't added any weight i even took out the fridge and spare seates and removed the roof rack and made barely any difference.
I have been runnning cooper at's the whole time have gone through two sets but same size etc pretty much stock size.
it is an auto you think a transmission service would maike a diff?
airfilter and plugs just got done and had the tapets adjusted as well gave it a full service
haven't had it dyno tuned recently.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I haven't added any weight i even took out the fridge and spare seates and removed the roof rack and made barely any difference.
I have been runnning cooper at's the whole time have gone through two sets but same size etc pretty much stock size.
it is an auto you think a transmission service would maike a diff?
airfilter and plugs just got done and had the tapets adjusted as well gave it a full service
haven't had it dyno tuned recently.
Gudday leonsay, i have a 4.5 on gas and so do 2 of my mates, we talk about this a little as it's got us stuffed why there is so much difference. I get about 390 k's combined driving and have a stack of weight in the car including draws and a roof rack. one of my mates carries nothing, no roof rack and struggles to get close to 300. My gas system is a impco system only 2 years old and has one of those self adjusting electronic mixer thingies (if that helps??). I keep the tyre pressures up about 40PSI and am running general grabber AT's (similar tread pattern to BFG At's). Keep us up to date as it seems to be a bit of a saga around here?

Col

·
Registered
238 Posts
I used to get 300km from 90L on the dot around town, the last couple have been as low as 280. Running an Auto, 31's AT's, a rack and rear draws. I'm sure the gas system needs a tune and hopefully adding a snorkel will free it up a bit more. I've come to live with it. On a recent trip, fully loaded (probably overloaded) i was getting 24L per 100 on petrol. I can't recall my hyway gas consumption.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I am going to get my auto trans serviced has been a while and just hit the 230,000 km mark and then booking it in for a dyno tune will let you all know what happens. My gas system is impco as well. i have been told that an upgrade to a injected gas system would improve the system overall but don't have the cash for that at the moment.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Out of interest, what sort of price for the conversion to injected?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was told between $2000 and $3000 to have my patrol taken from normal to injected LPG i haven't done a lot of shopping around but the cost of getting the auto serviced and a dyno tune costing about $300 i know which option i am trying first :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts