Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan 4x4
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i got a 1998 gu patrol 2.8td. and im only getting 650km out of 110liter tank.
i got a tunit chip which helped a little. but compaired to what i have read up on. other 2.8 patrols get from 900km+.
how can i resolve the problem???
HELP ME.....

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I regularly read that other people get 50,000,000klms from a tank too and wonder why Im not. I think theres a few reasons.

1 - people are full of shit
2 - people have faulty cheap calculators they got in a show bag
3 - theres about 5000 variables involved in working out klms/l. Car tune, tyres, roofracks, towing, driving attitude, welded accelerator pedal to the floor, living in hilly area, headwinds, etc etc. Nobody adds these when posting up about how they set a new guiness book of records economy run.

What have you done to the car overall? What mods/accessories fitted? Have you done anything else to fix it? had it tuned? Had it dyno tuned? Or just added a chip?

·
"Remember, you're unique... just like everyone els
nissan patrol
1,593 Posts
Agreed ^^^^^^ with above.

For what it's worth my GQ 2.8 with 290,000km's on the clock gets about 600km's to the 80 odd litres I put into it. Last proper maths I did it was at 13.5l/100km's. Since then I've got a new set of injectors and had it dyno tuned. By far the best money I've spend lately. The car now blows heaps less smoke and has a far more linear power delivery.

Mine runs on 265/75R16 Cooper ST's around town, 3" lift, bullbar, side rails, side steps, drawers, fridge, cargo barrier, full length roof rack, winch, dual batteries etc. So there is a little bit of weight there.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
100 Posts
what truckster said.

but all BS aside .. when i first got the trol she was on stock susp,no engine mods or racks and 32" boots .. would get 980k's out of 120l ( going off car ODO ) .. this is sitting on 100km/h on highway 90% of the time,no air-con and a resonabley light foot.

now with 33's,2" lift,3/4 tracklander mounted as far back as possible with no deflector,snorkel and EGR blocked, same driving conds I'm getting 880k's to 120l ( going of GPS ODO because of car's ODO now being out due to 33's ) she's pretty consistent with that sort of range.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Greetings Gents,
finally a thread that makes me feel a lot happier with my fuel consumption.
I thought I had thoroughly researched my 99 2.8 TD wagon and most figures I read about came in at anything from 9 litres to 15 litres per 100 klm. Now I have bought mine it varies from 14.7 litres to 18 litres per 100 klm. Have steel B/Bar and S/Steps, aluminium roof rack, drawers, winch, bit of extra weight there.
Am building up the courage to clean the intercooler myself and then have the muffler removed for straight through system, and then a new set of injectors fitted, a possible hi clone too.
tried the 2 stroke oil in diesel thing - no difference.
BAZGU your figures are about 5.9 klm per litre or 16.9 litres per 100 klm. (bit thirsty if that is your average)
Welcome to my world.
truck

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i find it makes a huge difference between hwy and around town driving, well it does on mine, its a 2 1/2 ton plus truck that needs to get moving and in the city that adds up to a lot of fuel, but once you are on the hwy the torque of the motor allows it to plod along easily, roof racks, mud tyres, bigger tyres, weight will all add to fuel consumption

·
"Remember, you're unique... just like everyone els
nissan patrol
1,593 Posts
Greetings Gents,

finally a thread that makes me feel a lot happier with my fuel consumption.

mine it varies from 14.7 litres to 18 litres per 100 klm.

Welcome to my world.
truck
Hey Truck.

Mine was varying as much as yours and it was a combo of leaky injectors, a viscous hub that was over full and never cutting out and my injection pump timing was out by miles. The blokes at A1 Injection in Perth did an awesome job and dyno tuning and checking the timing on it like I said above. Now the fuel consumption has dropped by tonnes and the power is great. I've only had one tank through it but my drive from Perth to Cairns in Feb will be very closely watched. I'll post up the results of fuel consumption.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
I get 13.5 L/100km on my run to work and back 80km round trip mostly 80kmh zones and a 10km freeway run. Lots of stop start on the run home due to traffic.

3 inch lift bulbar all the other air resisting items no roof rack.
285/75 tyres.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
338 Posts
Greetings,
goldtrol - me older brother says on start up it sounded (rattly) and looked (exhaust smoke) like I had a leaky injector hence a new set is on my to do list.
Hopefully the rain stops before you get over in Feb :p
If it does welcome to Sunny QLD. :cool:
truck

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
im getting roughly around 12.5 l/100kms to and from work ,50km round trip sitting on 80km/h most the way. Im running 285/75/16 muddies, 3.5 inch lift etc, but if i do freeway driving mine climbs up to 13.5l/100km and thats sitting at around 95km/h.

Must admit truckster has it spot on, there are way to many variables that can mess up calculations.

Anything around the 600km mark for a 2.5 ton 4x4 isnt bad in my eyes.

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
nissan 4x4
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanx guys. i did have a close look and spotted a leaking injector.. i had it dyno tuned at JPC thomastown. but still blows out a ****load of smoke. from taking off and going through the gears. im just going to take it to a place called turbo engineering. hopefully they find the problem.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Economy and 4x4 in the one sentence ???

Feel sorry for us TB42 owners mid to low 20Ls/100Ks

Then again when the hammer goes down im not sure what moves faster
The tacho or the fuel guage
The MQ/MK SD33 boys are getting low 10Ls /100Ks so all a muchness i reckon

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Lol I'm just working out my fuel cost to go to the snowy mountains next fortnight.
Tb42e. Wish I could say that the calculator was broken.lol

·
Registered
Nissan
97 Posts
I average 17/100 on the freeway or as bad as 25/100 if I really apply myself. (intercooled TD ute/ 35's 4.6 gears) Wife gets 14/100

Considering an engine swap- if I'm going to get crap economy it may as well be fun.

How bad is 6 litre in a patrol?

·
Registered
nissan
246 Posts
I´m getting around 14l/100 on my 38´s with lower ratio. Think I have 5,42 ratio I´m driving around 90kmh. but in much wind I can get it up 20/100

1 - 16 of 16 Posts