Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Fuel Economy

4K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Captain Hook 
#1 ·
Hi i dont know if its me or not but since i added a alloy full roof rack to my patrol the fuel economy is shocking. I can watch the guage move. It uses double the amount. I also mounted 4 driving lights along the front of it too. Dont know if this has anything to do with it. Also the roof rack is square at the front. Has anyone else had this problem.

#14 ·
Er... not entirely true.

It's both.

removing the lights will make a difference., but just take the whole lot off. How often do you need it anyways? I took mine off as i hated the noise. I only use it every few months or so anyway.

#4 ·
Try covering it so its not dished and hollow as its the inside of the back of the rack that will drag. I assume its solid? Unless someone knifed your tyres, then it would obvisouly appear to be your drama. Somehow remove that back part when not in use or cover and it should solve the problem or at least help.

#6 ·
I have an AIBA alloy luggage rack on the lwb gq kingsroad 4.2 turbo and have noticed significant increase in fuel usage. I'm gonna go down the route of attaching a 'nose' or extenion to the fron of the rack to try and smooth things out a bit. Also that rack sound like an old tea kettle with a whistle on it at 103 to 110 Kmh (GPS) so I really want to get rid of that(whistle) its ok when its full of luggage etc.

#9 ·
just took my tracklander off for this reason .. losing aprox 90km's to main tank. considering only ever load it for hunting or camping a few times a year,well worth the hassel taking it off. btw i commute 170km's each way to work at highway speeds so can't say what sort off loss to expect for a shopping trolley.

#11 ·
Well you were exaggerating about doubling the fuel economy surely?

The lights on rack will be part of the problem for sure. Put you hand out the window at 100kmh and feel the force on your hand then imagine that force for 100km. Hence why adding anything extra that has to forced through the air increases fuel consumption.

Cheers

Justin

(note: yes I know about drag but just keeping it clear and concise

#13 ·
I refuse to use roof racks for the above reasons, and the fact that it has to be the worst place to carry gear, regarding center of gravity.
Although I tow a camp trailer and have plenty of storage, when I need it.

Your figures seem a bit overboard, something else must be adding to it, as has been suggested.

#18 ·
Hi Fellas. I have noticed that towing an open, empty, untarped trailer creates more drag than a loaded, covered trailer. Disturbed air has a huge affect on economy although I have some sceptism about the claim of twice as much fuel. I would have considered around 10% to 20% to be bad. Cheers, Derb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.