Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FUEL in RB30 MOTORS??

]Hi peoples, a question (or 2) for fellow rb30 owners; for the last year,since I bought it, I've been running 91ron fuel & it ran ok, put 1 tank of E10 in - never again!!, put 95ron fuel in when in Brissy in Jan. & got a HUGE difference in performance & economy (even when towing a trailer!!), tried 98ron same performance as 95 but less economy.
My motor is as standard except for the carby base plate mod & extractors, oh & it's done just over 300 000k's.
Any others find this with theirs?

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
mine ran fine with 91 octane, bog stok on 33's gave 21lt/100 melb to Nowra, I advanced the timing to 17deg started running premium for a slight increase in performance.
Once turboed on 9ps it ran only premium and returned 17lt/100 having some fun and 14lt/100 on sensible trips with the 33's.
To turbo it correctly and reliably it cost me about $1200. Its new owner put about 150,ooo more trouble free kays on it.
Would love to throw an rb into a shorty.............

·
Registered
nissan
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was getting about 14.6L per 100K's on 91ron with an even mixture of town, h/way & a bit of w/end 4wding. So am waiting to see what sort of mileage I get on 95ron on a trip to Wellington (NSW) at the end of the month.

p.s. that was on 31/10.5/15's now running 235/85/16's which I think are the equivalent to 32's.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
149 Posts
Hi guys with my old girl she's pretty thursty but its not a daily so i dont really mind much.
When i first got it she was bog stock, imediatly she had a 2" lift and 33" muddies and was returning around 300km to a tank (90L tank) mixure of town/hwy. The old motor had 320,000km on it and was still going well aside from carby issues(needed rebuild) with the old set up i did a trip from syd to Kepmsey and aside from being extremly gutless up hill on the freeway she returned 470km to a tank.
Then i went to EFI with extractors 2.5" system still 2" lift, 33" muddies and straight away iwas getting around the 380km to a tank around town, oh forgot to mention when going EFI it was a complete setup out of a 92 r31 skyline with 97,000km(grampa car) and had been sitting around for 2years, i then fitted a safari snorkel at real change that i noticed. I took her for a run from sydney to nowra(around 180km) and she used halkf a tank going down and ran like **** for the first 100km and on the way home she had cleared her throat and got me all the way home on a quarter of a tank and went hard all the way, now im getting around the 420-450 around town in winter and an average of 380-400 in summer using the air con all the time.

I think this is pretty good for a big truck with a litttle motor.

P.S the last trip i took to the zig zag railway with other guys running 4.2's couldn't keep up with me around the mountains.lol.......still want forced induction though.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
149 Posts
mine ran fine with 91 octane, bog stok on 33's gave 21lt/100 melb to Nowra, I advanced the timing to 17deg started running premium for a slight increase in performance.
Once turboed on 9ps it ran only premium and returned 17lt/100 having some fun and 14lt/100 on sensible trips with the 33's.
To turbo it correctly and reliably it cost me about $1200. Its new owner put about 150,ooo more trouble free kays on it.
Would love to throw an rb into a shorty.............
Hey Brunsy would love to pick your brain on what specs for the perfect turbo setup to run bearing in mind i like to do a lot of low range stuff which is were i have heard you can get issues if not correctly set up.

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
EVO GU,
this link is everything i needed to complete the upgrade http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/diy-...es-40/turbo-your-gqrb30-42140/?highlight=rb30

I found the best compromise for what I wanted ( just some overtaking and towing grunt) was by using an old school T4 with a T3 base but 1.00 exhaust housing with a pretty much standard VL turbo/skyline/300zx compressor wheel. This made good power around 3000rpm and didnt even know it was there in low range which was good coz I didnt need it for crawling, also its brutal on the relatively small clutch having boost in low range.

Yours is ready for a turbo just using your current computer and injectors, just keep the boost cool and around 7psi on PULP you wont have a drama.

PS you dont want a small turbo from a R33 or VL turbo they spool way too early its frustrating to negotiate tight tracks etc. I have tried various turbos over the years, mainly whatever got handed to me cheap.

·
Registered
nissan
884 Posts
IMO a smaller turbo off a VL would be perfect for a conversion.

I did a turbo conversion on my R31, but with an extremly HIFLO'd T3/T4 and it was great. The motor is now in a mates MK patrol after 300,000kms or more.

Hes got big fuel, microtech, exhaust and cooled. Absolutely hammers.

My turbo on my 4.2, even though its a bigger engine is probably a bit too laggy for 4WDing. In low range its all good but you want to have boost there whenever you want it.

I would suggest a nicely hiflo'd VL turbo, as you will get the boost you need, and the power you want.

·
Registered
nissan
884 Posts
For reference my 31 made 215hp atw with a rubbish tune through a auto.

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
I've got a rb30 in a vl that makes 320rwkw easily on pump fuel and on c16 race fuel I've had it at 415rwkw with a 3spd auto and I'd love to stick that into a patrol or even see someone else do it ..... It would be a absolute weapon I reckon .... Just can't bring myself to go away from the 4.2turbo diesel tho ....

·
Registered
nissan
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mrs put 91ron in it yesterday (after running 95) when it was on E for enough & it spitted & farted for a couple of k's at least, I put some Lucas fuel treatment in it & it started behaving almost straight away. I had a BIG talk to her after that with the usual "you didn't tell me" after she's been to the servo with me & putting the 95 in plus talking about the difference in running for the last couple of weeks, go figure LOVL.

p.s. the fuel filter is only a couple of weeks old

·
Registered
nissan
461 Posts
Hi Guys, sorry im just goin to jump in off topic here because there seems to be a few bloke that know alot in this thread.
Im considering maybe one of these VL twin throttle body manifolds vl twin throttle body turbo n/a inlet manifold (eBay item 250772382532 end time 22-Feb-11 19:22:31 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

Mainly because im running straight lpg and it would make it easy for me too run twin mixers with the turbo setup.
Would i loose down low torque is main question? Throttle controll?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have my timing advanced 15 degrees and driving normally excluding any 4x4 fun and only running 98 octane fuel I get 500k's out of the 90ltr tank. My engine pings it's ring out at the sight of 91 octane having the timing where it is.

·
Registered
nissan
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After a bit of looking (on sticker under bonnet LOL) it actually states to use 95ron "minimum" fuel :headwall: :toothmis: with 15 degree advance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts