Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i am new to the forum so bare with me, i have read alot of posts reguarding 4.2 conversions but usually these conversions consist of using some part of their original engine or gearbox, which there is a huge amount of info for.... however in my case i am performing a full 4.2 conversion, meaning i took everything bolted to the 3.0lt and tore it out, yes that means, engine,gearbox and transfer case, intercooler, radiator,air con compressor, air con lines, heater hoses and so on..........i won't bore you with the full list, but what i have done is make notes as we go so i can share this info with anyone intrested or who is maybe considering this conversion we are 3 day into it at the moment so i will give you what i have so far and will post every day untill it is complete......

INTRESTING POINT TO BE MADE HERE....we rang nissan reguardig a computer problem and found out that between 2000 and 2003 there we 11 different computers made and fitted to the GUs so it might help if you do sell the looms and computer to keep the all the wiring together as chances are the next bloke may need them.....just a thought..

Here we go.......

Vehicle 2003 GU patrol
Engine ZD30 Intercooled 104950 kms

Converting to TD42, we managed to find a full engine conversion( engine, wiring looms x2,gearbox and transfer case,both drive shafts air con tubing,starter, air con compressor,foot throttle, air bag module,......everything..

What we have done here is pull the whole engine out along with the gearbox and transfer case.We also pulled all the wiring associated with the 3lt engine, before we go any further this process was a huge job i am not a qualified mechanic but i do have mechanical knowledge, however this wiring job took me two and a half days to complete ( 3lt wiring out 4.2 wiring in) there are 3 main looms that had to be removed, engine bay, under dash, and computer loom for those that don't know there are 3 entry points through the firewall for these looms 1 in the middle just below the windscreen and one on each side (under brake booster on drivers side and about the same level on the passengers side)....

complete dash removal is required....

both front inner gurards have to be removed.....

radiator and condenser must be removed, however they can be reused (they are the same as the 3lt) fan shroud must be shortened though

4.2 engine and gearbox mounts are the same

engine mounts from the 3lt have to be moved forward for 4.2 to sit on

air con tubing is different from the condencer to first joint

heater hoses are different out of fire wall

foot throttle is different, (3lt fly by wire throttle must be fully removed)

AIR BAG MODULES MUST BE CHANGED, THEY ARE DIFFERENT

GOD!!!!!!!!! i hope i'm not boreing you lot ????????????

Instrument cluster is slightly different but has to be changed more sensors in the 4.2 cluster

Thats about it for the first 3 days, tomorrow we start putting it all back in, so the excitment level is starting to rise

I hope this is or will help someone out there as it is a really big job, stay tuned for futher reports, i will try every night to report but if not i will every couple of days........

John.

·
Registered
nissan
729 Posts
Thanks johnymc,
I'm interested so keep the info coming and if you have any pics that'll just add to the excitement.:)

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
I would question:

Why are the air bag modules different ?

Why change the gearbox and t/f box and prop shafts ?

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Great post.

Good decision on a 4.2 upgrade, is the 4.2 turboed? If not it would be a good time to add one.
Keep us informed.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1 Posts
Yes Pics would be great, I am almost finished mine but am stuck on the wiring, what year is the 4.2 from?

·
Registered
nissan
1,335 Posts
I really can say you have completely turned me off any thoughts of a conversion!

I think about it from time to time but just the thoughts from reading this changed my mind, easier to sell and buy a 4.2 if that came.

I should print this out so that when I forget i can have a reread to straighten me out.

Good luck with it, hope it works out well.

Just for an interest why are you doing a conversion?

Cheers Wayne

·
Registered
nissan patrol
43 Posts
Great post mate! Keep the info coming,big effort on the swap(and the post) you wont be sorry with the 4.2.

·
Big 'N Slow
nissan
192 Posts
Great post.

Good decision on a 4.2 upgrade, is the 4.2 turboed? If not it would be a good time to add one.
Keep us informed.
Vehicle 2003 GU patrol

Converting to TD42, we managed to find a full engine conversion (snip)
Good luck with, sounds like a mammoth job.

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
83 Posts
I really can say you have completely turned me off any thoughts of a conversion!

I think about it from time to time but just the thoughts from reading this changed my mind, easier to sell and buy a 4.2 if that came.

I should print this out so that when I forget i can have a reread to straighten me out.

Good luck with it, hope it works out well.

Just for an interest why are you doing a conversion?

Cheers Wayne
hahahaha you and me both mate i was thinking about it but to much work for me just and buy new one hehehehe

hope it all goes well mate :iconbana:

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
.... however in my case i am performing a full 4.2 conversion, meaning i took everything bolted to the 3.0lt and tore it out, yes that means, engine,gearbox and transfer case, intercooler, radiator,air con compressor, air con lines, heater hoses and so on..........i
Here we go.......

John.
John, awesome thread, BUT>>>>>>>>>>>:worthles:

Good luck as I just finnished my full rebuild , but I chose not to convert to the 4.2. Stayed with the ZD30

·
Registered
284 Posts
Keep it coming (with pics if possible)
Those that are not interested don't have to read it!!!!

Pep

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why anyone would want that noisey leaking worthless french 4potter is beyond me anyway...

The 4.2 is magnificient! el magnifico! you will be happy with all that hard work once you complete this task.

P.S as mentioned above PICTURES PLEASE!

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Good luck with, sounds like a mammoth job.

Great post.

Keep us informed.

Vehicle 2003 GU patrol

Converting to TD42, we managed to find a full engine conversion (snip)
What point are you making?

·
Big 'N Slow
nissan
192 Posts
Sorry my mistake, I thought the TD in TD42 was 'Turbo Diesel', apparently I'm wrong.

According to wikipedia anyway :S

1 - 20 of 32 Posts