Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all. I have had a search on the forum but can't find what I need so hence my request for help. I need to make and install full width mudflaps to the rear of my 2006 GU IV Patrol as I have had enough of the mud and stone chips covering my camper. These full width mud flaps would need to be removal when they are not needed. I've got a few ideas on how to do this but why reinvent the wheel when someone else has already been there and done that. Drawings/ photographs would me great.

Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,823 Posts
On my ute I used I had a strip of angle steel attached to my towbar than a flat strip across the front of it to hold the flaps in I just used a set of Mack Flaps......than bolt it through the original holes...once I get a towbar ill be doing it this way again

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
980 Posts
I have a piece of 40mm angle the width of the patrol with 2 pieces of the same angle welded on so it can be bolted onto the 2 tie down points each side of the towbar, and a piece of flat bar to clamp the mud flaps on. Plain white mud flaps. None of those Mack or Cat flaps for me. Their for wannabe's
glort, I would be surprised if a change in fuel consumption would be measurable, especially since you would have a trailer on as well

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
439 Posts
I have a piece of 40mm angle the width of the patrol with 2 pieces of the same angle welded on so it can be bolted onto the 2 tie down points each side of the towbar, and a piece of flat bar to clamp the mud flaps on.

Thats what I have done aswell but I used rubber from a conveyor belt from a mine site very effective.
Just makes sur you use locktite on the bolts as they will work themselves loose over the time.

Wayne

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,099 Posts
Wouldn't a full width mudflap just be like a parachute and cause a lot of drag and increase fuel consumption?
Combined with a camper trailer, 80 liters of fuel, 100 of water, roofrack loaded 2 feet high,,,,, will make bugger all differance. It'll just flap a bit. it should stop almost all rocks hitting the trailer and damageing it and hopefully NOT bouncing back on the windows.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The best setup i have seen was a set of heavy duty gate hinges that slip into each other the top of the capped one cut off so you could drill a hole and put a R in it then one side was mounted under the towbar and the other onto a piece of 25mm rhs that the rubber was mounted to remove pull two R clips out and slide off

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
292 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
81 Posts
Greetings taxman007

I would resist the urge to make a full width flap, friends of mine made some up to protect their vans and it only accelerated the rate of chips, they trimmed & mucked around with angles and then took them off they seemed to think the flap sucked stones up off the ground.

A better solution I think is a screen on the front of the trailer angled foward so stones are deflected down, Thats what I'll be doing shortly anyway.

If you decide to go full width my friends bolted some conveyer belt to a length of angle with large chain links welded on top, these matched up to a chain link welded to a mount bolted underneath the wagon.

Hope this helps
cheers
Paul.

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
Greetings taxman007

I would resist the urge to make a full width flap, friends of mine made some up to protect their vans and it only accelerated the rate of chips, they trimmed & mucked around with angles and then took them off they seemed to think the flap sucked stones up off the ground.

A better solution I think is a screen on the front of the trailer angled foward so stones are deflected down, Thats what I'll be doing shortly anyway.

QUOTE]

This is a bit more work , but by far the better option .

·
Registered
455 Posts
IMO i would go the mud flaps mate as i found that the stones will eventualy hit the rear of the car after deflecting off the gaurd on your trailer. My mate found this out when he shattered the rear window on his 1yr old 4.2T/D he was not at all amused.I did not have any stones hit the rear of my car they tended to hit the mudflaps taking off the speed they where travelling at and drop to the deck cheers MO

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Regardless of what you end up doing, fit some perspex or similar to your rear glass.
I had some poly carbonate left over from another job. Just buy 14 or so, rubber suction cups from Clark's, and drill appropriate holes in a manner as seen in pic.
When traveling check them daily in your pre- start ritual, as they can dry out and need re fixing.

Picture5a.jpg

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,099 Posts
Regardless of what you end up doing, fit some perspex or similar to your rear glass.
I had some poly carbonate left over from another job. Just buy 14 or so, rubber suction cups from Clark's, and drill appropriate holes in a manner as seen in pic.
When traveling check them daily in your pre- start ritual, as they can dry out and need re fixing.

View attachment 18421

Did the suction cups hold well?? I have the same, but have had problams keeping them attached. Industrial velcro did'nt work. The glue gets hot and they slip. I ended up losing the first set at the cape.

·
Registered
nissan
253 Posts
I have had great success with a full width rear mudflap. IMO the secret is to not have the flap rigidly fitted to the vehicle. Mine is attached by chain links that allow the flap to give a bit, or a lot, when stones hit it. I have seen flaps that are rigid, and therefore when a stone hits them, it bounces off the flap instead of having all the force of the stone absorbed by the flap. I have taken my camper over some very ruff roads with very few stone chips, and lets face it, you are dreaming if you think you will get away with NO stone chips, and most importantly , no broken windows in the wagon.:D

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Did the suction cups hold well?? I have the same, but have had problams keeping them attached. Industrial velcro did'nt work. The glue gets hot and they slip. I ended up losing the first set at the cape.
Was lucky on the Tanami, pulled up one evening and drivers side one was sitting behind spare, since that time, as mentioned, checked each morning and no problems since. Hang on like **** to a blanket.

BTW re mud flaps, some make problems by having them to long and they drag the rocks up. Remember if your making them to allow for rig height when loaded.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
32 Posts
I have had extensions bolted to my original GU mudflaps and a chain attached for backing onto things to stop it going under the wheel. These worked well in limiting stone damage to my Tvan.

Also used perspex with suction caps - 30k on dirt across and around oz and one never fell off. Had to restick a couple of problem suction caps all the time (using water to clean the window first) but most stayed like glue and never had a cover fall off - never had a broken window either.

I cant seem to work out how to post pictures or you would have em.

Cheers.

·
"Remember, you're unique... just like everyone els
nissan patrol
1,593 Posts
This's the extension we made up, soft enough to take the blows and strong enough (it lasted the drive from Melbourne to Cairns and is still solid.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts