Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day fellas, thought i would get some opinions on this matter, after upgrading my wiring harness for headlights for the old gq to combat the issue of the high current through the stalk ive run into an issue of my headlights working but on corrugations or even slight bumps they flicker on and off.
Looking at the wiring harness there are 2 80amp 5 pin relays which i originally thought was the issue so ive replaced them with the same outcome.
Long story short when i removed the fuse it looked like this
Toy Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain

Replaced that fuse and issue is fixed.
My question is how do i stop that from happening im thinking that is caused by poor connection?
The fuse holder looks like this.
Bag Luggage and bags Circuit component Font Technology

If i change that to a different one will that stop the fuse from melting? Or is that fuse (30amp) too large that when there was a moment when it should have blown it didnt?
Have to say that fuse came with the wiring kit.
I was eventually going to replace that fuse holder one day to one of these
Rectangle Tool Cable Electric blue Font

Cheers

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,850 Posts
I'm old schooled, 30amp auto resetting circuit breaker for me.

Maxi fuse seems to be more popular these days
I have fitted a couple of those in mine as well, never had an issue, however I have found a few fuses like the ones GQ Bush Man, 22 years brings its own issues :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
2011 crd wagon
64 Posts
have a look at the fuse and holder design . the contact area can be very small especially important for the the larger fuses in the range .for the standard size fuse 30 amp is the largest size . the same problem still exists with the larger maxi fuse holder but would be better with a lower rated fuse in it , not sure if they make a 30 amp fuse for a maxi fuse holder . the midi and mega fuse holders are better although i am not sure if they come with waterproof housings . and i think yendor has a point , if there is a problem with one side , seperate fuses might keep the car driveable .

·
Registered
2007 GU & 2016 GU
72 Posts
The fuse looks like it had a bad contact in the fuse holder, either due to a loose connection or or corroted contacts. That is creating a restistance and with time and higher load will heat up the area and start melting the plastic enchasing. Had once on a friends car that the fuse was not plugged into the contact, but between the contact and the plastic case, making a similar picture.
Could well be that the fuseholder is not suited for a 30A fuse. Especially the connection surface might be to small for the 30A load and therefore generating heat.

I generally use those fuseholders only up to max. 20A, never had an issue, everything bigger gets a Midi fuse holder (Voltage 30 -125A Midi Fuse Holder - VTMFH1 | Voltage | Shop our Full Ranges by Brand | Autobarn | Autobarn Category | Autobarn)

Had twice trouble with a resetable circuit breakes from China (50A) and stopped using them, changed over to Midi fuses.

·
Registered
2011 crd wagon
64 Posts
automatic resetting fuses really should only be used for things like the anderson plug or trailer brakes , connections at the back of the car that can get wet during heavy rain or dunked under during a water crossing but then dry off enough to stop tripping the fuse . if used elsewhere it could keep tripping and resetting if there is a short in the wiring which could lead to a fire .

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,470 Posts
Auto resetting circuit breakers should be used on safety circuits like electric brakes and lights.

Nothing more dangerous than loosing headlights while travelling fast down a dark winding road due to a fuse randomly blowing. At least with an auto resetting circuit breaker you have a chance on the lights coming back on.

If your lights are flashing on and off you know there is a problem and will have plenty of time to pull over and investigate.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm old schooled, 30amp auto resetting circuit breaker for me.
Auto resetting circuit breakers should be used on safety circuits like electric brakes and lights.
Nothing more dangerous than loosing headlights while travelling fast down a dark winding road due to a fuse randomly blowing. At least with an auto resetting circuit breaker you have a chance on the lights coming back on.
If your lights are flashing on and off you know there is a problem and will have plenty of time to pull over and investigate.
+1 . If you look at old school underground mining or heavy machinery, they don't use fuses - all circuit breakers.
They also use heavier wiring, screwed connections and soldered joints.
You can buy "upgrade harnesses" for lights, but better to do a proper job yourself with any wiring.
Dry joints cause most of the problems - even in OME fuse boxes.

LIghts fall under the big 3 of essentials = Stop, See, Steer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts