Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
81 - 100 of 126 Posts

Premium Member
nissan
If take a look at the mobile phones we are using today: the battery, the stand by time, the memory, the internet connection speed etc vs 15 or 10 years ago.
Everything about the phones I've had in recent years is streets ahead of the phones I had 10 to 15 years ago except battery capacity. The phones I've had in recent years are in trouble if they are not charged every day but my old Nokia 6120C only needed charging once or twice a week. Even better was the fact that the battery was user replaceable when it eventually died. I see battery capacity and battery life a severe limitation of modern phones. The cost of replacing a battery in a modern phone verges on forced redundancy.

Rogue
D23 Navara ST-X | Waiting for my Ranger Raptor V6TT
So it's a race for a technological breakthrough?! Both are screwed by the sounds of it 馃榿

Can ICE get its emissions to zero before electrification overcomes range issues?

My money is on anything but fossils

Premium Member
nissan
Internal combustion of any fuel other than hydrogen will always emit CO2 and there is nothing that can be done to change that. Battery technology still has some major developments needed before vehicles will have the sort of range that is currently needed in the more remote areas of Australia.

Rogue
Internal combustion of any fuel other than hydrogen will always emit CO2 and there is nothing that can be done to change that. Battery technology still has some major developments needed before vehicles will have the sort of range that is currently needed in the more remote areas of Australia.
Even hydrogen isn't without it's own adverse emissions (NOx)

Premium Member
nissan
Sorry fellow diesel users, I am looking at the beer half empty scenario. When the Greens get their say, all state forests and camping areas will be out of bounds. So you wont need the diesel powered long range vehicles anymore. I would love an all electric 4x4 with a motor in each wheel. Full torque from 0 rpm. No gears. No diffs. No gearboxes. No oil changes. No breathers or all the other bullshart. Full computer hands off control up Aeroplane track !! Regen power down a steep hill. However鈥 as good as the batteries might be, I will need to recharge that 200 Kwh unit in 5 minutes to be happy. So I pull into the new United Electric fuel stop in Yarra Glen along with another 6 vehicles that need a electric fill. The amount of current needed to do this will be provided by yummy green rooftop solar and windfarms Mr Green Bandt? I think not, Yarra Glen will be blacked out while we recharge 馃槀馃槀馃槀
I haven鈥檛 been to Yarra Glen so I had to google it . The 2016 census claims it has a population of nearly 2900. So I鈥檓 guessing it has at least 3 main pubs.

What if these pubs put in wireless charge stations. You just park in a set area. Walk into the local pub order your beer and meals. You have your beers, the wife has checked out the local shopping and you are on your way again within the hour?

Of course this relies on local councils/business putting in the infrastructure. Smart rural towns I think will be eager to setup these as it will encourage people to spend that little bit longer in their town and hopefully spend a few extra dollars in the local community, instead of just at the local big servo. It has been done in the past. Those fossil fuel tanks in the ground didn鈥檛 just appear.

Premium Member
nissan
Just finished a stage in an ongoing project on my dirty, polluting, climate changing Patrol, and loving it, can't wait to get next stage up and running. Oh the things an average guy can extract from a dirty old diesel (or petrol), good luck playing with an EV 馃槀.
Plenty of DIY stuff happening with EV vehicles. Some dodgy some sound. Don't think that will change. We all like to mod our vehicles be it Petrol , LPG, Diesel or EV.

Premium Member
nissan
Looking forward to Quantum Drive vehicles :p
Seriously though, all tech aside, I'd be very happy for more Australians become aware and vocal regarding what gets dug out of our (and indigenous) ground, royalty free, by international companies, virtually tax free. I mean, c'mon now. Apologies, don't mean to side track but it's somewhat related for everyone to consider.
I did read a report last year how they were able to mine cobalt from the ocean. Haven't anything more about it's feasible. Hopefully technology advances and we won't require this mineral. I'm guessing this won't satisfy you anyway.

Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
Plenty of DIY stuff happening with EV vehicles. Some dodgy some sound. Don't think that will change. We all like to mod our vehicles be it Petrol , LPG, Diesel or EV.
Lol, true but yet to realise the scope.

Registered
Nissan
So it's a race for a technological breakthrough?! Both are screwed by the sounds of it 馃榿

Can ICE get its emissions to zero before electrification overcomes range issues?

My money is on anything but fossils
the issue is not really if we can get ICE to low emissions its that the world is set up in a manner in people are inadvertently apart of the obstruction regime and money always talks.

Zen, the science of clean engines and bureaucracy - Ockham's Razor - ABC Radio National

Registered
Well, I see that the EU is going to legislate to stop the production of new IC car engines by 2035. That鈥檚 only 13 years away. Good luck with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rogue
Which costs more lives; Coal or Crude oil fuels (Petrol/Diesel)

81 - 100 of 126 Posts