Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gu with manual hubs wanting to convert to auto.
Is it a straight swap over or are the spindles etc different?
Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
Gu TD42 series 3 wgn
41 Posts
I have a gu with manual hubs wanting to convert to auto.
Is it a straight swap over or are the spindles etc different?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Pretty much a straight swap. The circlip goes on a different spot on the shaft and the egg rings don't go back in. And change the bolts over as they are longer for the auto hubs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you
I like the idea of having auto and being able to put it in 4x4 while driving.
I can carry my old manuals with me for a back up.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,204 Posts
Thank you
I like the idea of having auto and being able to put it in 4x4 while driving.
I can carry my old manuals with me for a back up.
I've had both on my vehicles over the years since 1983 when I got my first 4by and I must say the Auto's on the Patrol are bloody fantastic, never let me down and I rarely lock them, they have been given a workout over the 20 years I've had my GU, but if your going to be doing a bit of reversing while 4x4ing then locking them is a prerequisite.
My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had both on my vehicles over the years since 1983 when I got my first 4by and I must say the Auto's on the Patrol are bloody fantastic, never let me down and I rarely lock them, they have been given a workout over the 20 years I've had my GU, but if your going to be doing a bit of reversing while 4x4ing then locking them is a prerequisite.
My 2 cents worth.
Yes it looks like a lot of people rely on the auto which is probably for convenience in an emergency and not locking them in anything harder

·
Registered
2001 GU ST TD42t coil cab (gold)
4,058 Posts
I do miss having the auto hubs too. So many people diss them but whilst I admit I never really did a heap of reversing in 4x4, I never once had them unlock on me on the few occasions that I did reverse.

·
Registered
nissan
10,916 Posts
personally and for my circumstances. i love my manual hubs for 1 single reason. 2wd low range reversing.
I have a ***** of a driveway and being able to reverse my 2 tonne trailer up it without having to ride the clutch like a millennial. For this reason only i would never ever go to auto hubs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts