Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any one interested, Decided to test my Narva 225 ultima HID vs the Fyrlyt 150w halogen. Exposure on the camera was set to +1 so photos make the HID look a lot brighter than they actually are,

Here is the specs on the 225s, Factory HID kit removed and Philips D2S 4200K 35w lamps fitted, Ballasts are the old thumper 70w ballasts.

Fyrlyts did receive the correct voltage also.

no additional vehicle lights during testing spot lights only

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Aim them both up, play with adjusting spread pattern, your getting a very clear picture of the road.
Things your going to hit are on the sides
My Fyrlyts are sensational after LF 240 with 55 HID, quick response is a key advantage

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aim them both up, play with adjusting spread pattern, your getting a very clear picture of the road.
Things your going to hit are on the sides
My Fyrlyts are sensational after LF 240 with 55 HID, quick response is a key advantage
I found the spread / spot adjustment made very little difference with the Fyrlyt, I did play around with the adjustment but just off to the side of the road was where they seemed to work best. Realistically they need a better spread so you can aim one down the center of the road and one a bit lower to get the sides of the road and minimise reflection from road signs.

To be honest with all the hype I have heard about the fyrlyt I was a little disappointed I did expect better, but saying that an overall good quality light presenting good value for money off the shelf lighting.

In Standard HID form the narva 225 would have been pretty equal but with the upgraded 70w ballasts they stood no chance, Once warm the HIDs light up instantly between cars.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
To be honest with all the hype I have heard about the fyrlyt I was a little disappointed I did expect better, but saying that an overall good quality light presenting good value for money off the shelf lighting.
I tested the fyrlyts with about 4 other light combos a while back

one of the things I liked about the fyrlyts was that you could adjust spread on the light - ie hit the dial and change the beam shape

so, flick the left beam for wide and keep the right as a long throw etc....

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tested the fyrlyts with about 4 other light combos a while back

one of the things I liked about the fyrlyts was that you could adjust spread on the light - ie hit the dial and change the beam shape

so, flick the left beam for wide and keep the right as a long throw etc....
So did you find the spread pattern actually made a difference? When I played with the spread adjustment it made it a little wider but no ware near what you would get from a decent form reflector style driving light. You would really need to complement the Fyrlyts with a small LED light bar or some small wide beam lights to get the best out of them

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The spread was noticeable, but if mine them I'd add a lightbar as a filler anyway

it was better than adding wide/spot lens covers like you do on the old lightforce xemophots and their early HID conversions
Maybe there is variances in some of the Fyrlyts, as your saying good spread but I didn't see much difference in the set I tested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts