Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to embark on a turbo upgrade for my TD42T and was interested in getting a baseline dyno run done before I do any changes. I've been quoted almost $200 for a simple baseline dyno run which has me looking for options. Many years ago I used to own a G-Tech meter which I sold due to lack of use. I see the current price is about A$440 to import one from the US which makes it look pretty favourable compared to multiple dyno runs.

I used to use it extensively in my drag racing days to measure the differences in acceleration that were produced by engine tuning and suspension tuning and I found it to be very useful and very accurate. Does anybody currently use one of these devices and how do you find it compared to a proper dyno run?

GTech-Pro Model SS

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
We have always used Virtual Dyno when tuning our ECu's. Not sure if it will work on an old td42.
Get it free here: http://www.virtualdyno.net/

We found it read lower than most of the tuning houses around our area. Usually 10-20kw under when we compared to the dyno readout which is pleasantly surprising.

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts
Wow they've come along way.
I used one of the old school ones back in the day, about 8-10 years ago now.
Was pretty good, still got some of the graphs you could download off them onto your computer.

I've got one of the basic ones which has been sitting in the center console for about the same amount of time.

I probably wouldn't bother buying another one though, unless i was desperate to dispose of some income. That's purely because I'm not too interested in dyno graphs etc these days.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not too interested in dyno graphs etc these days.
Neither am I but it was a fantastic tool for making before and after measurements while tuning. They are now much cheaper too. I owned a basic one also, but that was about 20 years ago and it cost me about $600. I was then earning half what I'm earning now. When I sold it about 10 years ago I got the same money I had paid for it.

We have always used Virtual Dyno when tuning our ECu's.
How consistent were the figures put out by this software? Thanks for the link, I wasn't aware it existed. Looking at that has prompted me to do an online search and I see there are a few smartphone apps that might do the trick. I'm just not sure how accurate the accelerometers in a phone are going to be compared to a dedicated instrument like the G-Tech.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On second thought I doesn't matter how accurate they are if its the same app and the same phone doing the measuring.
I wasn't too worried about accuracy, more worried about consistency. Thanks for your input. I'll give the virtual dyno on the phone a crack to begin with and see if it gives the sort of results I'm looking for. Might save me $450.

Cheers,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts