Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im going to buy the above turbo for my gq td42, but i was just wondering if there is anything i have to look out for/distinguish between them all besides the .64 rear housing. are they all the same if they are called a gt2860rs?

·
Registered
nissan
105 Posts
Check out the Garrett website they have a load of info including turbo maps and if you have the part number on the turbo you can get the biuld of it. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
It may be 2 late, but with that part description the only difference that i know of is the hot side i.e. .64 or .86

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
from what i have been told, a 2860 will more than likley experience an early death. i was also lookinh into a 2860, but am not going for a dts kit with the td05. perhaps look into that. from everything i have been told. it will out-last the 2860 roller bearing.

cheers

jbates58

·
Registered
351 Posts
They are both good turbos. If after the TD05, ensure you get the 18g or 20g. You will like it better. GT2860RS - there are a few part numbers.

739548 - 1 which you can get with .64 & .86 turbine housing for GT2860RS
743347- 1 which you can get with .64 & .86 housing, but is GT2871R

Now260 with .64 is better low down torque but looses efficiency over 3300 rpm on most TD42's (diclaimer - according to flow charts and dyno's). 2860 with .86 is better for top and goes better for highway touring on a TD42.

The 2871 with .64 is about perfect with stock pump, no mods with incredible torque and doesn't loose efficiency until around 3800-4000 rmp on most TD42's. 2871 with .86 is more top end with a slight amount of lag at the bottom end.

I have two motors being built now, and selling one new one, and my old one will fund the one I keep, with a new GT2871R .64 hotside. I don't want to mod the pump or anything else, just want a good reliable, with a reasonable amount of bottom end pull.

But ultimately, the choice is yours bud!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
No idea where you got those efficiency rev's no.'s...... because from experience, you are about 500-700rpm too high with your numbers.

·
Registered
nissan
116 Posts
and the fact that a 2871r on a td42 is a waste of time, the 2860 will outlast the 71r, mainly because of the ratio between the 2 wheels, you are using a very small wheel to turn a rather larger one and putting too much stress on the other components on the turbo. best option is for a modded td05 from united if you dont want the 2860, and marin quote me if im wrong but your 2860 lasted quite a while considering it was running out of its efficiancy range??? apart from that the 2860 is a good match turbo for low down power in the td42.

·
BATTLE AXE
nissan
1,333 Posts
I'm about to book my new GQ (97 td4.2) into QDAD to have a DTS sytem installed, does the kit come with a td05? or is it a upgrade? Anything i should ask for with this kit - 3" exhurst obviously.
Cheers

·
united fuel injection
Nissan
2,633 Posts
Just to clarify a few things guys so no-one gets the wrong info.

Marin is correct with his efficiency statement.

The TD05 that comes in the STD DTS kit is NOT the same spec as the one that United Fuel sell and is a modified version.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts