Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patro gq
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Garrett gt3071 turbo noisy after 10000km's

As title states replaced my denco junk with a garrett gt3071r and it is noisy on shut down and has end float play only after 10000kms.Oil changed when installed and at 5000km and running 30psi apparently mtq claim to much boost has done this but not really impressed with the situation. Any thoughts??

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Depends on the setup. If you have a really restrictive intake then it will be putting alot more thrust load on the bearings for a start.

My best guess is you havent primed the turbo with oil before starting. I see this alot, and believe me it does cause instant damage to a BB turbo.

You noticed end float at 1000km? Was there any reason you were checking for this at only 1000km after install? Was it already noisy or something? Why run it for another 4000km at really high boost knowing there was an issue?

·
Registered
nissan
2,929 Posts
So it sounds like it has a handful of gravel in it at shutdown?

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Yucky! Something has gone seriously wrong somewhere along the line.
Ive run these at 30psi and above on diesel and petrol engines and never heard something like that on shutdown.
The only noise I associate with beginnings of bearing failure are a very slight whirring noise that lasts 10-15seconds on shutdown.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts