Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been chasing what seems to be a never ending list of issues with my Mav since I got it last year. I finally got most of the problems fixed except for my cold gas start-up.
When first starting in the morning it takes quite some time to fire. It’s as if there isn’t any gas in the line until it primes. Every start from that point on it’s brilliant – first kick fire. It's a simple IMPCO 300 gas setup but am I missing something? I hate having to crank for 20 -30sec & going from petrol to gas is real pain. What are my options? Or is it another trip to the gas man?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the same problem. I was told from somebody, but cant remember who now as it was a while ago, that you can connect up a purge line from the mixer and have a spring switch inside. By a quick hit of the switch you put raw gas from the mixer into the system and starts straight away. there is a tap on the mixer somewhere that you can tap into. Full details of install i am not aware off

·
Registered
nissan patrol
54 Posts
you could try putting a lighter spring, or modding the current one under the lpg convertor cover. it will make the convertor more sensitive to engine manifold vac
uum

·
Registered
nissan gq
25 Posts
Gas starting woes

I have a carby mav on duel fuel.It is fitted with primer button that is connected electrically to gas solenoid.First thing in morning turn key to on position push accelerator peddle half way to activate auto choke, push primer button 3-4 times as you can hear this quite easily and start.Never had any probs.If it was not fitted with this as I have tried it would take at least 30-40 secs to start.Hope this helps.Brett

·
Registered
nissan patrol
405 Posts
yeah they just wont start on gas unless it has primer button fitted, get use to starting on petrol like rest of us do

·
Registered
nissan gq swb
483 Posts
My GQ shorty has the primer button, and no issues at all on startup.
Doesnt run very well on petrol though. Floods, and runs rich, so time for a carby kit I think.
I have a feeling its been run on gas most of its life.

·
Registered
nissan
118 Posts
my old hilux 22r on gas was the same and now i have a GQ and it does exactly the same, its only if the vehicle has been sitting for more than a few hours it happens, to be honest doesnt bother me to much least this way i know oil has started to pump about the motor before it fires and that cant be a bad thing for engine wear.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I have a RB30 on gas with a primer switch and it starts after about 5 revolutions even when the temp is below zero. Sounds like yours is not getting the gas through quickly enough.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,024 Posts
worked out my black magic start combo after trial and error

I've got a primer button on the shorty

pump 3 times, start it, hold primer for a 4th time for approx a second once she starts, and she goes every time - even in crap canberra winters

every start up after that within about 3 hrs just requires 1 primer and then a normal start

I also got a tune up optimised for gas.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
yup as everyone said you need to hook up a gas purge, its easy and any gas mec can do it.
all you need is a few little fittings a gas lock off and a press switch. shouldn't cost anymore then $100 for somone to set it up.
the general rule is the crank rotates about 12 times before gas makes it to the carby.
or the other way is to spend 4k getting VSI set up and you wont have that problem :p

·
Registered
nissan
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys! I've grabbed what I think I need to wire in a primer & will take it from there. If it all goes pear shaped I'll take it to a gas shop. Will post some pics of what I did 'if' I get it working.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts