Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fitting up some dual analouge/digital gauges temp,pressure boost egt etc.
My electrical knowledge is basic.

There are 4 wires to each gauge, earth, lights, ignition, battery - fairly straight forward.

My question is:

Can the ignition and battery wires just be spliced together to run off the ignition sourced wire. If not I presume the battery wire need to be a "live" source.

I guess the battery wire is to keep alarms set, which I dont plan on using anyway.

Cheers

·
Registered
317 Posts
Depends on your gauges. A lot of stuff you have to set up first time you activate it before it will work, otherwise it just displays the start screen.
Try running the batt and ign wires twisted together before you solder the joints and see how it goes.
If there is a start screen that shows up each time you turn on the ignition, then the batt wire is the better option.

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,546 Posts
I've got SAAS guages and they need the battery connection to remember the backlighting colour. If this is the case hooking to ignition just limits the lighting colour to the default unless you change it manually each time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the comments - ended up doing it as per msnufactuers instructions and run a live fused feed
Cheers

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just wondering where you connected each wire? Installing a dual gauge myself and not sure where to connect each wire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wondering where you connected each wire? Installing a dual gauge myself and not sure where to connect each wire.
The ignition wire I hooked into the radio power source - works only with key on.
Earth wire just went to an existing earth wire point under the dash
12V feed I ran a wire off the battery with a fuse - this will also power the 2 way so its on all the time. This is a temp fix until I get 2nd battery and distribution board fitted.
The illumination wire hooked into instrument lights.

·
Registered
2005 Patrol ZD30 DI
107 Posts
Is the fuse built in, so if it blows you have to replace the whole thing?

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,546 Posts
No, it inserts in place of the vehicles fuse and has two fuses. One for the original circuit and another for the add in circuit. I thought at first that this was a dodgy solution to a problem, but after having used them I think they're actually better than trying to bust into the wiring loom at some random location for most purposes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts