Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, got some autotecnica gauges, egt gauge died in less than a year. A bit disappointing tbh and now the boost part of the gauge is playing up. Just wondering what is a good gauge brand that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. Heard mixed reviews about Saas. Also, may be a dumb question but are all pyro fitting the same size and will it be difficult to remove it from the exhaust? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
nissan
225 Posts
i got SAAS egt, boost and oil pressure gauges. haven't had any issues but some people seem to. i found them a good mix of not ULTRA cheap but not stupid expensive like redarc or autometer.

i'd say pyro fittings are all fairly close in size, but dont quote me on that, some come with bushes/adapters if needed. not difficult to remove from current exhaust just unscrew it. shouldn't be rusted or seized in after only a year.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,325 Posts
I have VDO.

They look right, they work. However, the boost gauge was a bit out of whack but played with it and it seems OK now.

I would probably go Redarc or Autometer if I was to do it again.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,221 Posts
Hi guys, got some autotecnica gauges, egt gauge died in less than a year. A bit disappointing tbh and now the boost part of the gauge is playing up. Just wondering what is a good gauge brand that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. Heard mixed reviews about Saas. Also, may be a dumb question but are all pyro fitting the same size and will it be difficult to remove it from the exhaust? Thanks in advance.
I quite like my Autometer, been in for yonks without issue, but as usual the recommendations you will get are the ones people have chosen so in the long run you still have to make up your own mind, but always remember the old saying 'the poorman pays twice' so the cheap ones are often not the way to go.

As for Pyro fittings, most bungs are 1/4" NPT/BSP, so if you get a 1/8" NPT pyro fitting you just use a reducing bush to adapt (making sure the end of the probe sits at the centre of the exhaust flow), my Autometer is 1/8" NPT.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,671 Posts
Another vote for Autometer. They arn't really much more expensive than the cheap ones and are very accurate and reliable.
How much is your engine worth?

ZD30 rules the road.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Yep Autotechnica, SAAS, Calibra, Drift, all those budget spec gauges are just cheap in my opinion and none better than the other. The only cheap gauge I would trust are the Auber Instruments gauges, if you don't mind digital but several digital in a row is hard to read again in my opinion.

What do you consider expensive. Some of the Autometer range offered by some Ebay sellers are actually pretty well priced, especially if you stay away from the flash electronic stepper motor versions. Of course the pyro only comes in the electronic style. If you don't mind the mechanical fittings going into the cab then the mechanical models are the cheapest.

Buy another of anything now and you would have paid for an Autometer. VDO are fine, if a little dull.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts