Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all.

Well, the time is almost upon me, and the mighty mav to be turbo'd. And as such, im looking for gauges. Problem is though, im not sure what the best are. For something as valuable to me as this, it will be the best quality, and the most accurate i can get. I looked into autometer, and have read mixed reports reguarding accuracy, and they look ok, but not flash. And vdo aswell, while they seem more accurate, they dont do some of the guages im after and they dont look nice to me, just plain and boring. And i have been looking at defi; They seem to have the best rep and quality in the game from what i have read. Is this so? And they also have the defi link, which is a plus as im looking to put them into a roof console. So minimal cabling to the roof. And they look sht hot to boot. What are you thoughts. Is there a better option out there for me?

Cheers

jbates58

·
Registered
nissan
62 Posts
I have 5 Defi BF link in my WRX. Boost and EGT in the A Pillar and Oil Temp, Oil Pressure and Fuel pressure in the centre pod. The BF series are being discontinued for the BF advanced. The new gauges will not be compatible with old. They are 60mm diameter not 52 like a lot you see, keep that in mind. They are awesome with user adjustable alarm points plus recording of 2 mins ...(I think). Having said that ... They are big bucks plus you need to buy the control unit. Prospeed racing have them .... I havent bothered installing them in the Ti as the WRX is my money pit!!!

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i should get the bf series asap, as i dont realy want the 60mm gauges. are there any other comparable gauges out there?

cheers

jbates58

·
Registered
nissan
62 Posts
Defi make a Racer series that are 52mm These are not linked like the BF's. They are also getting run out. I would get onto them ASAP!!! The new advanced series appear to come in 52 or 60mm.

Defi-Link Meter ADVANCE BF

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you know if there are any other comparable gauge brands interms of accuracy and style? what colour are yours? im looking at getting the red ones, and putting them in a roof console that way they are out of the way, and hopefully not to in your face at night. how do you find the gauges? and whats the response time of them like?

·
Registered
nissan
62 Posts
do you know if there are any other comparable gauge brands interms of accuracy and style? what colour are yours? im looking at getting the red ones, and putting them in a roof console that way they are out of the way, and hopefully not to in your face at night. how do you find the gauges? and whats the response time of them like?
My Rex makes 23psi and it comes on fast :grin: and the gauges keep up. Any little fluctuations in idle RPM is noticeable in fuel and oil pressure, I am happy with the response time. I have the white faces but the amber ones would be cool. The illumination levels are adjustable in about 4 steps (I think) plus they self dim with the headlights on.

Apexi also make good gauges, any of the Jap manufacturers are pretty good really. Plus if your wise with how you buy them you can enjoy the awesome exchange rate!

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
VDO gauges, clear and cheap.

·
Registered
nissan
11,122 Posts
I'm about to get some autometer gauges from the states for heaps and heaps and heaps less than australia. And they seem to be pretty big in the us so I'm not to worried. I defi gauges are good but how much do you wanna spend. Auberen I think they are egt and boost gauges are pretty cheap from os and digital so may be worth a look into as well

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I'm about to get some autometer gauges from the states for heaps and heaps and heaps less than australia. And they seem to be pretty big in the us so I'm not to worried. I defi gauges are good but how much do you wanna spend. Auberen I think they are egt and boost gauges are pretty cheap from os and digital so may be worth a look into as well
make sure you get celcius not Fahrenheit :)

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
make sure you get celcius not Fahrenheit :)
yeah, a mate of mine got cought on that one, ordered all his gauges wrong, pressure in kpa/bar not psi and temps in fahrenheight. lol. luckily the seller was cool to swap them over at no charge.

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how do the mcnally gauges perform? and how accurate are they? the look good and i like the combo gauges, will cut down the space prolly to 3/4 gauges insted of the 6 i was getting.

cheers

jbates58

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also, where can you get them? i looked around on the net, but it seens that you can only get them from their site. any suggestions?

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
My Rex makes 23psi and it comes on fast :grin: and the gauges keep up. Any little fluctuations in idle RPM is noticeable in fuel and oil pressure, I am happy with the response time. I have the white faces but the amber ones would be cool. The illumination levels are adjustable in about 4 steps (I think) plus they self dim with the headlights on.

Apexi also make good gauges, any of the Jap manufacturers are pretty good really. Plus if your wise with how you buy them you can enjoy the awesome exchange rate!

What work you done and what model, 23psi is pretty high for a WRX...

I was running 1.7 Bar (24.65psi) in my 2002 Ra Spec C, but these come with hand built engines, forged everything and are made for high boost...I'm guessing yours has had some internal work...

I wouldn't recomend Defi, way over the top for a gauge (around $300AUS? each) and a couple hundy more for the controler...(Mine came with the car, but would never have brought them myself even though we imported them).
Nothing wrong with Auto Meter...

·
Registered
nissan
199 Posts
how do the mcnally gauges perform? and how accurate are they? the look good and i like the combo gauges, will cut down the space prolly to 3/4 gauges insted of the 6 i was getting.

cheers

jbates58
you buy them off there site there are a few on here with them. the psi/egt witch dose celcius/farenheight at the push of button. we got a quote off them the other day for 270 including postage

·
Registered
nissan
62 Posts
What work you done and what model, 23psi is pretty high for a WRX...

I was running 1.7 Bar (24.65psi) in my 2002 Ra Spec C, but these come with hand built engines, forged everything and are made for high boost...I'm guessing yours has had some internal work...

I wouldn't recomend Defi, way over the top for a gauge (around $300AUS? each) and a couple hundy more for the controler...(Mine came with the car, but would never have brought them myself even though we imported them).
Nothing wrong with Auto Meter...
I'm not going to turn this into a WRX c0ck off and hijack this thread. If you're interested in my boost levels then PM me your email and I'll do a screen dump of the boost map from my Motec M800. I can't believe you wouldn't recommend Defi. They are pricey, but hey you get what you pay for!!

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bugger, is that about the only place that you can get them?and i agree with you there Malooski. why do yo not recommend defi???

cheers

jbates58

·
Registered
nissan patrol
18 Posts
i bought some digital gauges from a place in QLD, about $200 each including sensors, wiring and instructions delivered to me in perth. comes with a nice milled box and can be changed between kpa, bar, psi and similar with the EGT, very very responsive. the boost gauge can also be used as a oil/fuel pressure gauge just by changing the sensor, boost comes with -10 to 50 psi sensor and the other is 0 to 150 or something. so far great quality.

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what brand are they dan. and where did u get them from?

cheers

jbates58

1 - 20 of 32 Posts