Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all,

With the changing family needs and a move from a Monday to Friday job to a FIFO one, I no longer needed a fun daily, but had more desire for a vehicle that can tow the caravan better than the wife's Territory. I'm not made of money, so that led me to purchase Chaz.

Chaz is a 2009 Ex-Telstra manual ZD30 CRD powered GU6 Y61 DX wagon. Fitted out with Rhino racks, factory snorkel, factory winch bar, factory pintle towbar with shin bashing rear steps, single mass flywheel with new clutch, new brake disks, new repco special steering damper. It also came fitted with ST rims, cargo barrier, second battery with Redarc switch, a pair of Narva spotties and an LED light bar. Since purchase I've swapped the seats out to ST seats, added a reversing camera, Pioneer headunit with Carplay, front and rear JVC speakers (DX didn't have rear speakers factory), ST side steps and a Provent 200 catch can.

I've given it new engine oil, filter, air filter, fuel filter, brake pads, replaced the intercooler with an ebay special unit and replaced the repco special rear shocks which were missing upper bushes with KYB Tena Force units.

Plans in no particular order are to replace the springs and spring spacers with 2" lift King or Dobinson springs, replace the front repco shocks with KYB Tena Force, add an EGT gauge on the pillar, add an OBD gauge, upgrade the exhaust to a 3" with cat and muffler (currently looking at Rhino Exhaust), tint all the windows, add rear drawers and a rear door table, replace gearbox, diff, brake, clutch, power steering and coolant fluids, add a 2 micron secondary fuel filter. And eventually I'll go through and tidy up all the little dents and scratches and repaint it.

It's no real amazing vehicle, but certainly does what I need it to. It does seem to be a little low on power (never expected much, but it doesn't seem to have that) and high on thirst, so may need to get the intake manifold de-coked too. I'm sure with a bit of love and a free flowing exhaust it should provide me with the torque needed to tow the family to our destinations of fun.

Cheers, Owen

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,839 Posts
It does seem to be a little low on power (never expected much, but it doesn't seem to have that) and high on thirst
This is normal for all Patrols except the TB48, it was just high on thirst. You will miss the power of the Territory while towing but the Patrol will feel far more stable with the van on the back, just underpowered until you get a better turbo, better intercooler and a remap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will miss the power of the Territory while towing but the Patrol will feel far more stable with the van on the back
That and the troll won't go through a $600 pair of tyres from the towball downforce. Surprisingly the Terry pulled a 2T loaded car trailer from SA to central QLD without issue (I did balance the load), but the front heavy weight distribution of a 1350kg caravan is a tyre chewer. The kids keep asking why trucks and busses are quicker than us in the school dropoff though :ROFLMAO:

I'll throw on a 3" exhaust and maybe a HPD VNT and see how it is after that.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
20,401 Posts
Welcome Owen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts