Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold my old GUIV to a fella from Mackay, bought unseen. I was straight up with him about the 4th gear syncro issue, but we both agreed it would do another heap of km's before giving up.
Unfortunaltey, he called today to say that on the way home to Mackay last night, about 1hr from Mackay the gearbox heated up and the centre console was very hot to touch.
What could be the issue. Said it got notchy and very hot. He slowed up and once out of top gear it cooled down quickly. So sounds like something related to 5th gear rather than 4th, or perhaps just the reduction in speed was enough to allow it to cool.

Feel like a *****, Im not one to onsell problems that the buyer isn't completely aware. I guess its the way it goes sometimes, things give up without regard to a change of ownership.

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
Mate you were upfront with the bloke by having a conversation about the defect. Obviously you both came to a price that you were both happy with given:
1- You knew the gearbox had an issue and would need money spent sometime
2- He accepted that risk and no doubt payed less for a late model GU

Its ambitious to drive a car interstate if you just bought it knowing it has driveline issues. It certainly is not your responsibility to take the car back and sort out a busted gearbox, if you intended to fix it you probly would have done so in the first place and not sold the car and held on to it.

I can see that you would feel a little bad though, its never nice hearing from a disgruntled customer. On a lighter note the ZD out lasted the gearbox which is a win.

·
Registered
nissan
1,335 Posts
I sold my boat a few years ago and the hydraulic steering pump shat the next day he took it out!

He rang me up carrying on like i sabotaged it that night in his driveway, i told him to shove it!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, its been like that since I first chaged the oil at 158000km. Suspect it had the wrong oil prior. Been fine for 60000km, just can't rush 4th gear. Sell it, and the same day it sounds like it could be terminal. The guy wasnt' at all disgruntled, he realised he bought unseen and knows I have been up front.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Harsh as it is, its no longer your problem and Im sure it was priced accordingly.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Sounds like the bloke was just asking if you had ideas of the issue from past experience. Its happened before with the sale of cars. The bloke may think it would save him cash with a spanner man if you told him something he didnt know.

Doesnt say anywhere he was demanding money back or ****.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
sounds normal for a patrol which needs an oil change???? don't see what the issue is. Alot of heat will come through the tunnel in summer when driving for long periods of time.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Did it actually do anything other than get a bit warm?
Gearboxes and diffs DO get hot.....
I think he might be just a bit nervous after you told him it had an issue.

·
Registered
136 Posts
A few months ago I sold my postie bike to a guy after telling him it had a problem with the key not killing the motor. 2 days later I got an email from the postie bike forum. He had joined up and replied to my post asking me if I had managed to fix the problem. I didn't have the heart to tell him I fixed it by selling it to him.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,790 Posts
On a lighter note the ZD out lasted the gearbox which is a win.
Classic......:cool:

I did up a Triumph Dolomite Sprint for something to do in the late 70's in the UK, sold it to a guy telling him that there was not much meat left on the clutch, but it was good for a couple of 1000 if he did not treat it mean, and he was getting it cheap.

He drove home, hooked up his caravan and went off with wife and kids only to have the clutch fail just after he got off the ferry in Cherbourg, France. Rang me up shouting and screaming that I sold him a dud and wanted his money back.

Did what anyone would do, hung up. I don’t scream at people, and I won’t have them scream at me. I did tell him about the clutch, and as I was on my time off, and if he had been a bit calmer, I might have gone across with a clutch and put it in for him. I kinda felt sorry for his wife and kids, but not him.

·
Registered
nissan
625 Posts
A worn synchro isn't going to cause the gearbox to get hot, even a worn bearing is unlikely to cause excessive heat without making a fair noise to go along with it.

I think the guy was just paranoid.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hope for his sake your all right. I have noticed there isn't much insulation under the centre console either. There is some down each side but nothing along the top. Suspect there should be something in there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts