Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m a apprentice. And stuck between a rock and a hard place needing some help Befoure I go to far and create irreversible damage. So servicing me new factory turbo blacktop today and the gearbox filler plug is stuck real tight. I started by rounding it out with a half inch bar then heating it up and using a chisel and then a punch. Then decided to ask for help hoping it’s not too late. I’ve heard there is a propper tool you can buy. But is it too late for that. I don’t have access to a welder so any tips would be muchly appreciated. Cheers nick
8DC93224-AB86-42BF-BB01-38A5AEE2AB17.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah and I didn’t drain the oil yet cuz had the same problem with the diff but managed to get it with a chisel. So when I got to the gearbox I tried the filler Befoure touching the drain so the car is still drives

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,342 Posts
How much depth do you still have inside the square? if nothing and you can't get any purchase on it you may be able to continue with a punch, a chisel will only cut it up more and you may finish up damaging the thread. Looks like there is nothing there to grab, good chance you may need to drill a hole to drain the oil then drill out the plug and clear the old thread with a tap.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
275 Posts
You have to spray the threaded portion with thread breaking fluid/rust penetrant. Let is soak in over a day, with repeated sparys, or so as the vehicle still drives. Patience is your best friend. I have found a good gripping and self tightening very large pipe wrench or the like will do the job if anything protruding to hold on to. A large punch, the right angle of attack and a larger hammer - use a steady hand.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,239 Posts
So I’m a apprentice. And stuck between a rock and a hard place needing some help Befoure I go to far and create irreversible damage. So servicing me new factory turbo blacktop today and the gearbox filler plug is stuck real tight. I started by rounding it out with a half inch bar then heating it up and using a chisel and then a punch. Then decided to ask for help hoping it’s not too late. I’ve heard there is a propper tool you can buy. But is it too late for that. I don’t have access to a welder so any tips would be muchly appreciated. Cheers nick
View attachment 521370 View attachment 521371 View attachment 521371
You're right on one count, there IS a proper tool for the job. 13mm male square socket, NOT a 1/2" drive. Something like this.

Get the tool, it will undo (most) Patrol fill/drain plugs without issue, even ones that won't shift when trying to use a 1/2" drive. That particular filler plug may be beyond even the proper tool. It certainly needs to be replaced.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,757 Posts
Weld a bolt to plug then use a breaker bar.

·
Registered
nissan patrol y61 td4.2tdi
84 Posts
Hi Team,
when you replace your G/box fill plug do not use teflon tape or sealer or over tighten it --you WILL crack the casing--been there :-(.
The reason the plug is tight is because the factory use a setting type sealant.
Also do not screw a cold tapered thread plug into a warm case or the plug will expand and crack the case too or make the plug hard to remove.
Ask people with T Fords as they have tapered thread spark plugs and so suffered the same issues.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

·
Registered
GU RD28
94 Posts
I had this problem, and just filled it up through the gear lever at the top. Actually easier that under the car. Did it for a year or so. 5.1lt in the RD28. Not sure about other boxes.

Then when I had the car in a shop for something, I asked them to weld the nut onto the sump plug. Then had some fresh plugs waiting from Partsouq

·
Registered
nissan
108 Posts
You had the right idea by trying to get the filler out first so your truck is still mobile. Why not just drive it to a mechanics shop and get them to weld a bolt to it like 45/70 said.

·
Registered
846 Posts
You had the right idea by trying to get the filler out first so your truck is still mobile. Why not just drive it to a mechanics shop and get them to weld a bolt to it like 45/70 said.
And then drive it until the gearbox is hot and or apply some extra heat around the filler plug on the aluminium case and then hit the plug with spray freeze, then remove the plug. That way you won't crack the case which many have done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with mine I just put a breaker bar on it and stripped it out, I got a bolt that was bigger then half inch in diameter and grinded it square then tapped it in tight with a shifter😏 and then weld the bolt to the plug but make sure ur earth clamp is on The bolt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts