Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all Mk gearbox.
Have 5sp sd33t gearbox issue with 3rd gear seems to have slop or wider gate when trying to go 3rd all others gears are fine and normal.
Except 3rd any ideas or is it a overhaul repair

·
Registered
Nissan
598 Posts
Hi all Mk gearbox.
Have 5sp sd33t gearbox issue with 3rd gear seems to have slop or wider gate when trying to go 3rd all others gears are fine and normal.
Except 3rd any ideas or is it a overhaul repair
It could be the bushing at the bottom of the stick. It's a wear item. I had some issues with a gearbox I had in that it refused to stay in third and fourth. After I replaced the box, it was found that the top plate on the old box had worn down which caused that problem. Check the bushing first though.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,501 Posts
As above, most likely bushing, could also possibly be broken/worn return spring since the shifter returns to the 3/4 gate.

·
Registered
MK Wagon, and an SD33T in pieces...
652 Posts
I'm interested in this bush you're talking about, my gearstick in the wagon has always felt a bit looser than the one in the ute, which feels good and tight, are there any diagrams online which show the bushing?

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,501 Posts
In typical Nissan fashion, the diagram is a bit average. But you should be able to find in online catalogues in Power train > manual transmission shift control.
Its part code 32861, highlighted in blue.
Font Electric blue Circle Darkness Symmetry

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,501 Posts
Had a bit more of a think about this, might be more going on than just the plastic bush.
Both of my '86 Patrols with 5 speed boxes have significantly less play than all my earlier models, and very little noticeable difference between the 150,000km and 520,000km '86 cars.

The shifter housing (32160 in above image) changed in 07/85, but I can't see that contributing. However the shifter return spring plugs (32853) also changed at the same time, the spring and plunger (32854 & 32851) didn't change, but perhaps the revised plug puts a bit more preload on the return spring, leading to less slop in the shifter.
If I had my spare gearbox here I could do some testing...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts