Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Gearstick boot

7K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  GQ TANK 
#1 ·
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has a stuffed boot.. I have tried repairing it but it ain't happening..

Anyone tried and succeeded with one from another vehicle or found a suitable aftermarket one..

Any help would be appreciated..

#2 ·
I have used boots from Autobarn (one for the gear stick & one for the transfer lever). These are the ones that come with a rubber boot and a metal plate that sits around the edge of the boot,

#9 ·
I will see if I can find a Ford one, or one that fits before I come down Shark, it will most likely cost me nothing so its yours if I can grab one, that's if you can wait that long.

#10 ·
Thanks chops that would be awesome.. The problem is when you do a body lift they don't fit properly.. I had a flawless one but stuffed once the body lift went it.. Just want something that's gonna block the noise and heat out and still be flexible..

#14 ·
The original MQ boots are cheap, nasty, hard plasticy things that just crack up with age. I went to the wreckers and found most of the MQs had cracked boots, but did find one good one - $10. Also found an MQ where they had just put a much larger boot, looks like from a small truck, over the top of the stuffed one. This is the one I am using now.

It is made of much thicker and softer rubber. It also has a good grip on the gear lever since the hole is not too big. So that means I don't have to worry abut fastening it tight to the floor, or even bother squeezing it under the carpet. I just slide it down far enough so the concertina pressure pushes it hard against the carpet and makes a good seal.

So I suggest going to a truck wrecker and see what you can find. I paid $10 for mine.

#15 ·
the gen ones are cheap i dont know which nissan shop you go to nothing beats FTG and get the full trade discount just ask for vaurn in spare parts

#17 ·
How about getting one of those leather ones. Leave the rubber boot in place to keep out most of the dust and noise, and the leather one would take over where the rubber is split, and also give it a stylish look.

What I mean is put the leather one over the top of the rubber one.

#18 ·
I had same problem when I went through muddy water and got the exaust wet. Steam and burndirt smell filled the cab. Went to autobarn and picked up autotech one with elastic bottom and pull cord top. I left the old on in place and suck elastic over the bottom, tied off top and problem was fixed. If i remember it only cost me 15 bucks. It is blue but who gives a s**t.

#21 ·
Hey Shark what the go with the transfer stick boot, is that a replacement also?
The main boot sure looks very "Factory"!

#25 ·
Went looking last night but the EA/EB I found was Auto. I did however find a Land Cruiser with a nice big thick fat bastard. They also have a secondary boot underneath it, and I am going to see how this one fits the Patrol. Will keep an eye out for another one for you before I leave.

#26 ·
Does the ford boot fit the hole in the floor nice
The factory rubber boot has a slot type thing around the bottom that the floor fits into
Or does it have to be screwed to the floor under the carpet ???

#27 ·
Mate the ford one is actually bigger than the factory one. It comes with a plastic plate that you could screw to the floor but I just pushed a couple of ribs through the hole.. Honestly it is such a good fit.. And the rubber is so much better.. Now once I fix the transfer it's gonna be awesome.. I'm still stoked today, something so simple..

#28 ·
Sweet,
Ill keep the feelers out for these boots then
I mentioned the price of the factory boot,cause ive seen them change hands for $30 and more
Ive got only 1 set for my ute
With the ford ones being bigger,they should be then OK for the floor plate when its opened up when doin body lift

#29 ·
Oh yeah, this one fits nicely and looks the part too I think. It seems alot thicker than the original Nissan one which is good, oh did I mention it cost me nothing. ;-)

To be honest though, it could do with a small bit of trimming of the steel cover for it to fit perfectly, but I think its worth it considering this boot would appear to last a lot longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.