Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
2001 - 2020 of 2055 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,001 ·
Hi GU2,

Just wanted to say I thought you might be interested to hear this, I recently took a 2001 patrol with 200k as a trade in,so the guy was nervous of it as it was making low power and throwing out heaps of blue smoke..long story short I changed the radiator as it was leaking and MAF and also the diesel filter and guess what she runs like new, wow for a 2001 she is sweet and that water cooled turbo makes great power!!!
I love them all from 00 to 07 I'm a pure DI enthusiast 😆 I plan to keep this one along with my 07 model. Handy to have a few spare DI's 😜
Well except the real early 00 models,we all know how they were.

Anyway,I do enjoy this thread with a cup of tea or a beer now and then keep up the good work and sorry for the thread hijac. EDIT: I wanted the pics to post in small font..😐
No worries Dan, yes it is amazing what can sometimes be fixed quite simply, there are a lot of mechanics out there that think they know the ZD30 well, unfortunately not many of them actually do. I hear sad stories of people being lead up the garden path all to often.

I'm a big fan of retaining the water cooled turbo, that is why I have kept connections on my replacements.

Thanks for your support mate, appreciated.

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,603 Posts
Yeah I'm amazed with just how well these early patrols drive!!
It was throwing a lot of codes, to be honest I was in the look out for a throttle pedal at first because it kept putting on engine light and going to limp...the codes were something like, TPS, ECU, Injection comm and CAS, the funny thing was it was actually the MAF sensor playing up and upsetting all those other sensors! You know yourself... people get caught out when they don't know the patrols.
I'm just really excited to find one of these early patrols driving so well,it seems even the 01 model was well sorted out by then and it has the larger oil capacity,they just are getting very rare now and the k's are only getting bigger on the earlier ones.
Lack of knowledge seems to be the reason so many ended up scrapped which is a shame cause I think they are absolutely bulletproof.

That antiroll bar on yours looks the business!! Interesting how much of a difference it made👏

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq 1988
115 Posts
Picked up the 22mm SuperPro bar I ordered from SuperCheap today, fitted bar and test drive done, bloody marvelous, the whole vehicle feels so much tighter without out being rough, in the next few weeks I'll play with shock settings just to see what happens, I reckon I can back them off and soften ride further and still handle well, time will tell.
Once again the SuperPro Bar comes with a message that it will only fit the GU3 and later, went straight in no worries, the thread on the body link joint is the only thing that has changed, when I fitted my extended links years ago they came with extra bolts and spacers, maybe that is the key.
View attachment 536275
View attachment 536276
Hi mate can you tell me the model number off the front sway bar. I noticed your has a flat spot to clear the exhaust. My super pro one that turned up has a V and hangs down below diff. Mine is an Rc0023f-20.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,004 ·
Hi mate can you tell me the model number off the front sway bar. I noticed your has a flat spot to clear the exhaust. My super pro one that turned up has a V and hangs down below diff. Mine is an Rc0023f-20.
Cheers

Mine is a RC0023F-22 , but it is still strange because the pic in my attachment looks like what you describe, I had taken the listing from the superpro website and tried many places to buy one and being told I'd be in for a long wait, noticed SuperCheap on their list of vendors so dropped in with detail from that list, the young guy got on the phone and rang Sydney who said they have one in stock so I jumped at it, took a couple of days to arrive. I wonder if mine was old stock and there had been some later changes to the design?
This was what I took over to SuperCheap to see if they had one and it is the same as you describe, I hadn't really taken much notice of the pic.

You will also notice at the top of the page it says, suits 1997-2016, but below that says suits 05-2002 on?????????? it fitted my 2000 no worries.
Font Screenshot Technology Parallel Software

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq 1988
115 Posts
This is what I got. Waiting to hear back from superpro. They did tell me earlier there was no difference in design only the thickness. Have sent them photos of the 2 different types.Does yours hang lower then the drag link
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tread

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,006 ·
Laying in front of the vehicle and lining up the bottom of front and rear diffs the bend section is around 25mm below the drag link. I still have my original bars in the shed and they don't look much different in shape.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,007 ·
This is what I got. Waiting to hear back from superpro. They did tell me earlier there was no difference in design only the thickness. Have sent them photos of the 2 different types.Does yours hang lower then the drag link View attachment 536793

Look forward to their explanation, let us know when you get one. I had questions about the first rear bar I ordered which was a Whiteline, had good recommendations but I couldn't get an explanation from the seller on why in one part they said fits 1997-2016 and below that fits 05 2002 on, through a later chat to Gary I found the difference but it actually makes no difference, I cancelled the order and went to Superior for the rear bar after more research.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq 1988
115 Posts
Look forward to their explanation, let us know when you get one. I had questions about the first rear bar I ordered which was a Whiteline, had good recommendations but I couldn't get an explanation from the seller on why in one part they said fits 1997-2016 and below that fits 05 2002 on, through a later chat to Gary I found the difference but it actually makes no difference, I cancelled the order and went to Superior for the rear bar after more research.
This is what they come back with. Looks like I have new design will leave it on and see how it goes.

"Hello Adam,

I have found out more information for you on RC0023F-20, 22, and 24 the old design was a square drop and was changed to V drop to be the same as Whiteline.

Fulcrum Suspensions now own Whiteline for more information you can check out the Zeder Corporation web page www.zedercorp.com"

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,009 ·
This is what they come back with. Looks like I have new design will leave it on and see how it goes.

"Hello Adam,

I have found out more information for you on RC0023F-20, 22, and 24 the old design was a square drop and was changed to V drop to be the same as Whiteline.

Fulcrum Suspensions now own Whiteline for more information you can check out the Zeder Corporation web page www.zedercorp.com"

OK that makes sense, zedercorp was one of the companies I spoke to when I was trying to find out why the ebay seller was saying the rear one I ordered wouldn't fit a pre 05-2002, I finished up cancelling that order and buying elsewhere (but probably from the same parent distributor anyway lol). Thanks for feedback. Interested in your thoughts once you have had it out on a twisty highway.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,010 ·
My List of the Best Mods I've Done to my ZD30 Over the Years and Why

Recently thinking about the old ZD30DI and the multitude of mods I’ve done over the years and written up here, I think I’m getting close to her being finished (still going to up the idle 30-50rpm, looks like I can fit my hand through the gap beside radio with a small screwdriver to adjust it, don’t wish to take it out again, more on that later). Got me thinking about my best mods so I went through my index in first post here, yes many will not show up as they were either basic or a flow on.

1. ECUTalk, Boost and EGT gauges.
I could not have gathered the information I did to make solid improvements without those three devices. Connect laptop to ECUTalk and gather data on a spreadsheet, fanbloodytastic, what a great device.

2. Intercooler Upgrade.
The CCIC made a lot of difference to how the old girl ran. Back in the early days I knew a guy who would do a power run after I’d carried out a mod to see what difference it made. The IC made only 4hp but a wealth of difference in driveability.

3. Remap.
First remap was by Harley and a mail order into the bargain, it removed all the restrictions I’d previously had, some of them requiring electronic interference, hence the JayCar MAF fooling device kits we assembled and fitted prior. The remap left the gate open for further enhancement.

4. Water Meth Injection.
After doing a lot of research in the US and many discussions with OldMav, I gave it a go, Unfortunately we learn from our mistakes, my original DO ‘kit’ didn’t really have engine protection, I kept the pump but fitted a CoolingMist controller and my own protection system with pressure switches etc. I don’t tow now but then I had a largish boat and a large camper trailer, the WM system helped control EGT and gave a boost in power when you needed it. I can easily adjust the controller for lower WM usage on long trips or a bit more getupandgo around town, only use 10% methanol.

5. Airbox/Turbo Inlet Mods and K&N/BMC Filters.
Considerable improvement in driveability.

6. ThrottleBody Modifications.
Again this assisted driveability.

7. Upgrading Front Discs to Slotted and Drilled.
This made a considerable improvement in braking, along with the 4.8 Soft Pads and further adjustment to rear bias regulator it was like a different vehicle.

8. Digibooster Turbo Control
Not for everyone but mine works fanbloodytastic, flexibility being the key, setup now after a lot of fiddling, never need to touch it again.

9. Eclipse Turbo Transition.
What a great device these things are, after looking at many options over the years I took part in a development experiment (and no, it wasn’t free). Later several more developments and mods were done. The differential between the original GT2052 and the Eclipse didn’t reach full capability until I replaced my old Bosch VP44 and while I was at it went up a size in injectors, then later upgrading the remap. The later Eclipse, even though not seeing any significant change in Torque/Hp on paper over its predecessor, was so responsive right throughout the rev range I couldn’t and still can’t believe the dyno sheets, each time I drive the old girl it is like a new experience.

10. E-Locker.
One word sums it up, Absobloodylutelyfanbloodytastic.

11. Upgraded SwayBars.
Fitting the 24mm (rear) and 22mm (front) SuperPro swaybars has made such a difference to how the old girl feels at high speed on winding roads, I should have done this many years ago.

12. Rear Draws and Barn Door Table.
I can’t leave without mentioning these, what a boon for road trips.

Summary.
I often shake my head in amazement at the difference between when I bought the ‘any colour you like as long as it’s Pewter’ patrol in 2000 and whit it is now, if you haven’t already guessed, I love my old girl, she will do me for some time to come, and we both may just leave the tracks and roads around the same time.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,533 Posts

Recently thinking about the old ZD30DI and the multitude of mods I’ve done over the years and written up here, I think I’m getting close to her being finished (still going to up the idle 30-50rpm, looks like I can fit my hand through the gap beside radio with a small screwdriver to adjust it, don’t wish to take it out again, more on that later). Got me thinking about my best mods so I went through my index in first post here, yes many will not show up as they were either basic or a flow on.

I could not have gathered the information I did to make solid improvements without those three devices. Connect laptop to ECUTalk and gather data on a spreadsheet, fanbloodytastic, what a great device.

2. Intercooler Upgrade.
The CCIC made a lot of difference to how the old girl ran. Back in the early days I knew a guy who would do a power run after I’d carried out a mod to see what difference it made. The IC made only 4hp but a wealth of difference in driveability.

3. Remap.
First remap was by Harley and a mail order into the bargain, it removed all the restrictions I’d previously had, some of them requiring electronic interference, hence the JayCar MAF fooling device kits we assembled and fitted prior. The remap left the gate open for further enhancement.

4. Water Meth Injection.
After doing a lot of research in the US and many discussions with OldMav, I gave it a go, Unfortunately we learn from our mistakes, my original DO ‘kit’ didn’t really have engine protection, I kept the pump but fitted a CoolingMist controller and my own protection system with pressure switches etc. I don’t tow now but then I had a largish boat and a large camper trailer, the WM system helped control EGT and gave a boost in power when you needed it. I can easily adjust the controller for lower WM usage on long trips or a bit more getupandgo around town, only use 10% methanol.

This made a considerable improvement in braking, along with the 4.8 Soft Pads and further adjustment to rear bias regulator it was like a different vehicle.

Not for everyone but mine works fanbloodytastic, flexibility being the key, setup now after a lot of fiddling, never need to touch it again.

What a great device these things are, after looking at many options over the years I took part in a development experiment (and no, it wasn’t free). Later several more developments and mods were done. The differential between the original GT2052 and the Eclipse didn’t reach full capability until I replaced my old Bosch VP44 and while I was at it went up a size in injectors, then later upgrading the remap. The later Eclipse, even though not seeing any significant change in Torque/Hp on paper over its predecessor, was so responsive right throughout the rev range I couldn’t and still can’t believe the dyno sheets, each time I drive the old girl it is like a new experience.

10. E-Locker.

11. Upgraded SwayBars.
Fitting the 24mm (rear) and 22mm (front) SuperPro swaybars has made such a difference to how the old girl feels at high speed on winding roads, I should have done this many years ago.

Summary.
I often shake my head in amazement at the difference between when I bought the ‘any colour you like as long as it’s Pewter’ patrol in 2000 and whit it is now, if you haven’t already guessed, I love my old girl, she will do me for some time to come, and we both may just leave the tracks and roads around the same time.
So if you had to start over, in what order would you (re)do these? :sneaky:

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,012 ·
So if you had to start over, in what order would you (re)do these? :sneaky:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, knowing what I know now would change a few things, the first 3 would still be the same for educational purposes, but later ones might shift around :).

·
Registered
nissan
5,605 Posts
“..she will do me for some time to come, and we both may just leave the tracks and roads around the same time.”

At 76, this is also my thinking at the moment. My last big mod will be the Lokka I’ve just ordered..

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,015 ·
Pardon my ignorance, but no mention of dawes/tillix... or is that where Digibooster took over?
Yes, but, after a bit of toing and froing I put the needle valve into the Digibooster equation so I can change on the fly when on long road trips to assist with fuel eco. I hadn't removed it from the dash, just disconnected it.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,533 Posts
“..she will do me for some time to come, and we both may just leave the tracks and roads around the same time.”

At 76, this is also my thinking at the moment. My last big mod will be the Lokka I’ve just ordered..
Let me tell you two old farts a little story... ;)

My dad retired in 1991 at the age of 65 and bought himself a brand new VW MkII Jetta. He told me then that this will be the last new car he ever buys.

In 2000 he bought a brand new VW MkIV Jetta (Bora) TDI and I bought the old Jetta off him.
In 2002 he bought a brand new Nissan T31 X-Trail.
In 2005 he bought a brand new VW MkV Golf and I bought the TDI Jetta off him.
In 2012 he bought a brand new Nissan NP200 half ton ute and sold his 1994 SWB Hilux that he bought 2nd hand in 1995.
In 2014 he bought an almost new (dealer demo) VW Tiguan and sold the X-Trail to his next-door neighbour.

He pased away in 2019 at the age of 94, five cars after the last new car ever he was gojng to buy. :sneaky:

·
Registered
nissan
5,605 Posts
A new vehicle that could do what mine currently does and carry the weight that I can would be more money than common sense would allow me to spend.
I also wouldn’t have the enthusiasm at this stage to do all the mods that mine currently has.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,018 ·
A new vehicle that could do what mine currently does and carry the weight that I can would be more money than common sense would allow me to spend.
I also wouldn’t have the enthusiasm at this stage to do all the mods that mine currently has.
They are exactly my sentiments! Whatever I bought to replace the Trol I'd need to spend a fortune on it to get to the level I have, I've said before that I could spend $30,000 on mine tomorrow and I'd still be in front.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,533 Posts
Yeah I hear ya. ;)

Even though my dad could hold his own with the tools, he was a doctor and never into messing with cars. Apart from towbars, his vehicles were all stock standard and only ever serviced by the book, by the OE dealer.

Suppose the point I'm trying to make is that, if either of you think you're finished tweaking your Patrol, you're kidding yourselves. GU2, I bet in 15 years, when you hit 90, you'll look back on your post and realise just how far from "finished" your Patrol is today.

I bought mine new as well and it's 7 years old now. A lot of people would say that's old for a car, but I see no reason to replace it and anyway, I wouldn't know what to replace it with. But that doesn't mean I'm happy and "finished" with it. I'll most likely be tinkering with it until I'm 90! Might do an EV swap on mine one day if my CRD dies. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
321 Posts

2. Intercooler Upgrade.

3. Remap.

4. Water Meth Injection.

10. E-Locker.

11. Upgraded SwayBars.

Summary.
Lift pump number 13? That’s pretty much how I would’ve had it also .

Reactions: geeyoutoo
2001 - 2020 of 2055 Posts