Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
2081 - 2093 of 2093 Posts

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
348 Posts
I emailed Coolingmist.uk as there is no contact or listing for anyone at USA,regarding using second nozzle with out FSB. Bruce at Coolingmist. Uk replied to my email today.Turns out that using FSB is only way unless a boost switch is used. I’m going to tee off after solenoid to run second nozzle for ic inlet trial.Then looking at manifold location like yours. Are you still using your Cmgs progressive or at full pump pressure .

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,082 ·
I emailed Coolingmist.uk as there is no contact or listing for anyone at USA,regarding using second nozzle with out FSB. Bruce at Coolingmist. Uk replied to my email today.Turns out that using FSB is only way unless a boost switch is used. I’m going to tee off after solenoid to run second nozzle for ic inlet trail. Then looking at manifold location like yours. Are you still using your Cmgs progressive or at full pump pressure .
Coolingmist have gone from US to UK. As said earlier, I had an FSB but tossed it because it couldn't always adapt to my changes, T off the main line for the second nozzle, that is what I'm doing now, even if I reinstall my TPS setup with solenoid it will still only T off the main with the solenoid controlled by TPS.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,083 ·
WM nozzles Into Inlet Manifold, Real Time Test.
Did a test drive to Tamborine yesterday, 380k round trip in a mixture of environments. Wow, just wow, when I first fitted pre turbo to the old girl you could feel the kick in when climbing a hill in cruise, this mod multiplies that significantly.
I was a bit concerned the DO 1 and DO 0.75 would be to small but not to be, my 220psi must multiply the documented flow rate more than I expected, with a CM3 in the pre IC position and these DO's in the manifold I used 1.8L/100k on the trip, a bit higher than I expected but I can live with it, been looking at ways to slightly increase tank capacity. It would seem that when the injection kicks in it takes the limelight off the turbo, it doesn't use as much boost on the climbs. I would say that the nozzles are in very good locations.

I experienced another pleasant surprise, filled up today and found fuel usage was 10.7L/100k, I wasn't thrashing it but I also wasn't driving for eco, just a normal drive, very happy.

Testing will continue, have a few more trips in the planning, going to Lennox Head next weekend for an overnight and not long after will back up to Scenic Rim for several days of more exploring.

This leaves Pre Turbo and Throttle Body injection for dead.

@OldMav Thanks for listening to my meanderings.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,085 ·
Thanks. Mate I've got to say this whole project and the results make it one of the best and most rewarding I've done. As said it came about during a phone conversation with OldMav several weeks ago on some snippets of info he had picked up, and between the two of us it grew to this. The interesting thing was when I looked at fitting the pre IC I angled the nozzle entry towards the back to ensure clearance to bonnet, then a little later another snippet became available to us which said nozzle should spray onto back wall of IC, I had already done it by then so that one was an accidental win, lol, but I'll take it. It was that bit of info that lead me to fitting the manifold nozzles where they are, also spraying onto wall surfaces.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
348 Posts
Might have to add it to the top of the best 15 mods list ✅

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,087 ·
Solenoid Control of Inlet Manifold Water Meth Injection
After such a great result from the new WM system overall I'm going to re introduce the solenoid controller (previously used for pre turbo injection) that functions off TPS settings and use it to control the inlet manifold nozzles, this will reduce water usage as it will only kick in under a specific TPS load I set, the pre IC nozzle will carry on as normal.
Will need to relocate the solenoid from near the turbo to the firewall to keep hose runs short and out of the way. Had a good look at where I can place it and I think it is a winner, am tied up for the next few weeks but will keep the planning going in the back of my mind. I want to do it now but have a lot on, good to have enthusiasm back.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Automotive fuel system

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,088 ·
Couldn't help myself, found a place to mount the solenoid that makes it easy to connect after my trips and more testing. Made a bracket and it's in place, ready and waiting, didn't need to alter wiring length either.
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Nut Metal

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
348 Posts
Hi mate, that’s a good choice, as it kills 2 birds with one stone . I’ve had mine there since day one of installing solenoid also, gives flexibility on various ways to run either direction. Will be posting results regarding ic inlet pipe in the water/ methanol section in the evening after my chores

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Registered
nissan
606 Posts
slight sidetrack of a question regarding your recommendation after this test.
1. On a CRD, where would you say the optimal point of having a WM injection set up?
2. Would you say a turbo upgrade or WM injection is the better mod?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,091 ·
slight sidetrack of a question regarding your recommendation after this test.
1. On a CRD, where would you say the optimal point of having a WM injection set up?
2. Would you say a turbo upgrade or WM injection is the better mod?
Man, that is a hard question. I would lean toward the turbo upgrade (especially if you can do it yourself). With WM if you use just one nozzle, the IC inlet is the place, spraying towards back so it coats the wall of the end tank you could use a CM 5 there.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,092 ·
This afternoon we clocked up 1000k so far on our trip, we are at Glen Innes and heading home tomorrow morning, used back roads. Some may call my turbo control system crap, but they don't know me or my vehicle, cruising in 5th gear even at low revs it responds beautifully, so I'm guessing my turbo vanes are in just the right spot, regardless of what they say. As soon as WM comes on there is an immediate secondary response higher than with previous WM setup. We were cruising today on a back road at between 80 and 90k (well below WM) and wife said "the car is going really well these days", nuff said, that'll do me.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,093 ·
Have rigged up the inlet manifold injection points to the WM solenoid I'd used for pre turbo (bloody hell I must get in one day and tidy up some of the extra wiring I've added under the dash over the years), I used the same pressure switch as well as the TPS controller I built for pre turbo. The adjustable pressure switch withholds power from the TPS unit until a preset pressure is reached then the TPS unit sends power to open the solenoid when a preset TPS voltage/percentage is reached, all had to be reset for this exercise.

The pressure switch is adjusted to open at 16psi, the TPS unit is adjusted to open the solenoid feeding the inlet manifold points at 28% once the TPS unit has power.

Old Devils Own pressure switch.
Finger Thumb Electronic component Cable Gas

TPS output control
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Resistor Capacitor

Rewired and relocated TPS control unit to under the seat, velco'd to aircon outlet, was previously under dash and pain in the arse to get at to and adjust (through that hole I cut in the cover).
Grey Hood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Not neat yet as it has been a growing project, next time IC is off I'll tidy up the runs.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive air manifold Automotive fuel system

2081 - 2093 of 2093 Posts