Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,129 Posts
Thanks, will have a read up.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,595 Posts
OMG, OMG, OMG, have I told you how much I love driving my old 2000 DI?? Just in case I haven't, lotttttssss.
What with an ongoing health issue, a whole heap of ongoing Forum background stuff, Patio and Kitchen mods, there hasn't been a lot of time. Today I had to do a drive to pick up bits and pieces, man this old girl continues to astound me every time I jump in it, had a Cruiser tailgating me at one stage, probably thinking Oh yeah another slow ZD30, at a set of lights I was able to put a couple of cars between it and me no worries, it hung back after that.

I do have one issue that raised its ugly head a couple of weeks ago, a drip of coolant appearing on the floor right at the front of the engine, but origin hidden from view, first up I thought it may have been from the turbo front water cooling banjo at front of head but with limited view it doesn't appear so. My next thought is where I had to pull the front of the engine off to change IP I may have a fine weep there, that would be a pain in the arse, doesn't drip all the time though so a bit of a mystery. The pressure tester I have borrowed from my mate in the past has gone bye bye's so it seems, he can't find it, so I've built my own with bits I had laying around. When I get some enthusiasm for working on her (no hurry all still working fine) I'll pull all the shrouds off and pressurise the system for a closer look. But with temps in the mid to high 30's it may take a while lol.

View attachment 514380

View attachment 514381
Nice bit of work there. Are you using your compressor to pressurize it?
I still have my pressure tester from back when I thaught being a mechanic was a good career path. Has come in handy many times.
Hopefully you don't have to pull the front engine cover off again. Might be as simple as the thermostat rubber not sealing. Hopefully it's a quick and simple fix. Fingers crossed it is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,783
Nice bit of work there. Are you using your compressor to pressurize it?
I still have my pressure tester from back when I thaught being a mechanic was a good career path. Has come in handy many times.
Hopefully you don't have to pull the front engine cover off again. Might be as simple as the thermostat rubber not sealing. Hopefully it's a quick and simple fix. Fingers crossed it is.

Thanks, I can use my compressor or a bicycle pump. When my mate lost his I was going to buy a kit but holy moly a good one is expensive, being a bower bird I have all sorts of bits and pieces laying around so it was just a matter of finding them lol, that pressure gauge would be at least 30 years old and never used, it was a left over from a project I worked on, I have pressure gauges, regulators, vacuum gauges, you always know that one day they will come in handy ;).
Yes I hope so too, enthusiasm for a repair at the moment is not very high.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,595 Posts
Thanks, I can use my compressor or a bicycle pump. When my mate lost his I was going to buy a kit but holy moly a good one is expensive, being a bower bird I have all sorts of bits and pieces laying around so it was just a matter of finding them lol, that pressure gauge would be at least 30 years old and never used, it was a left over from a project I worked on, I have pressure gauges, regulators, vacuum gauges, you always know that one day they will come in handy ;).
Yes I hope so too, enthusiasm for a repair at the moment is not very high.
I'm all too happy to come over and give you a hand anytime mate if you aren't fully up to it due to health/injury, cbf factor etc.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,785
My body finally appears to be on the mend, two weeks ago I came off the aggressive antibiotics I finished up on for several months after lesser ones failed in their duty with the Kidney and Prostate issue I had, man they fixed the issue but destroyed my gut and body clock, building all back up with a daily dose of Yakult. To top that off I ruptured two tendons in my left ankle, couldn't drive the Trol because I couldn't depress the clutch, been driving my wife and neighbours auto's, can't remember the last time I drove the mighty GUII. So, hopefully in a few weeks my MoJo will return and I'll look into this damned little coolant leak and might investigate a few more mods lol.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti cab chassis
15,328 Posts
You might have to sell the mighty GU and get a triton like Foo"auto version"..
(said whilst running for cover)...

No, seriously, it's a bastard when Illness gets in the way of our interests and life in general..cause hey..thats what we live for..
Hope you are back in the saddle soon fitting more double overhead underhangs..

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,787
Got a short trip coming up in a few weeks (couple of thousand k) and still no enthusiasm to find coolant weep, so tracked down something I had recommended to others in the past to get me through for a while, It's called SealWel. A friend of mine who is a mechanic with a car dealer had recommended it years ago, he has been around a while even in Europe and knows his stuff, I had given away to members what I had for emergency so tracked down more at Repco, followed the instructions to the letter and as it turned out I had to drive to Brisbane to spend the long weekend with my Daughter (she wanted quality time with her old man so she had organised an airb&b at Redcliffe) so the leak was going to be tested straight away. Got back last night after several hundred k and no hint of a weep. I really want to take mine on this trip an not my Wife's AWD so will be monitoring closely, this is good stuff to have packed away for an emergency I reckon. Will keep you informed.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Got a short trip coming up in a few weeks (couple of thousand k) and still no enthusiasm to find coolant weep, so tracked down something I had recommended to others in the past to get me through for a while, It's called SealWel. A friend of mine who is a mechanic with a car dealer had recommended it years ago, he has been around a while even in Europe and knows his stuff, I had given away to members what I had for emergency so tracked down more at Repco, followed the instructions to the letter and as it turned out I had to drive to Brisbane to spend the long weekend with my Daughter (she wanted quality time with her old man so she had organised an airb&b at Redcliffe) so the leak was going to be tested straight away. Got back last night after several hundred k and no hint of a weep. I really want to take mine on this trip an not my Wife's AWD so will be monitoring closely, this is good stuff to have packed away for an emergency I reckon. Will keep you informed.

How's it going Ross. Hope both you and the GUII on the mend.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,789
Both doing OK Geordie hope the same for you and yours mate. Been very busy with forum stuff in the background for quite a while and I think we are finally seeing positive results. Maybe my 'Patrol' enthusiasm will return when the weather cools a little.

The old girl is going bloody fantastic, still amazes me everyday, the Ecipse turbo (the original ZD30 fitup) is living up to all expectations almost a year down the track and my much maligned digibooster is doing the same well over a year down the track and being on both original Garret GT2052 and Eclipse turbo and undergoing a lot of setup on both, it has been put through every 'variation' of the 16 programmes, including rod and stop adjustments (Garret via stop watch and seat of the pants, Eclipse via dyno, seat of the pants and stop watch).
Ross

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,790
Received a PM from a member recently about a JayCar MAFv modifier he has gotten hold of, got me remembering I still have my original unit. Following new turbo, IP replacement, bigger injectors and another remap the old girl has been quite smelly when I start it up and idle in the garage, so I decided to refit it and reprogramme, put load points from 0-40 into negative, -8 to start with then tapering to 0 from LP36, man what a difference, idle previously was 2.16-2.26v now 1.65-1-75v smooth and very little smell, happy as. Knowing what a mongrel getting this spot on in a DI remap with changes at the bottom effecting further up the scale I thought it was worth a try, cheap too :).

Had a bit of a play with my much maligned 'Digibooster' setup, more on that later after gathering some info but looking good.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
265 Posts
Do you still have that little coolant leak Ross?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,792
Do you still have that little coolant leak Ross?
No, but I haven't fixed it permanently yet due to a lack of enthusiasm in the hot weather and still recovering mentally and physically from the IP change last year ;) (where this leak has probably originated), for emergencies I carry a product called SealWel a New Zealand based product I know many engine re-conditioners, etc, use and is OK for aluminium components. I crushed 1.5 cubes of this in hot water and added it to the top radiator tank after warming the engine up a little, took it for a drive and let it cool, no leak...
I will get around to it in cooler weather but this has held for many K's now under varying conditions so I'm not in a hurry will be doing my next trip in May like it is.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Ross, even my new motor has a few annoying small leaks. I had replaced the radiator hoses with a kit of supposedly good quality silicone hoses meant for coolant use. Every one of them weeps coolant slowly out of the joints, only a tiny amount enough to make a telltale stain from the die in the coolant. I have tightened every clamp, cleaned and tried sealant. But I am thinking that it is actually weeping out at the cut ends of the hose through the mesh reinforcing material in the hose and the hose silicone is itself slightly porous.

The other leaks are a tiny weep along the sump gasket near the front and a small weep in between bell housing and auto trans, just a stain of pink red trans fluid. Seems that no matter how careful or fussy I was or had hoped that the engine and trans builders were, the few little attention to detail things slipped through the cracks.

Also have a cracked gearbox rubber mount and the new ones sitting on the bench, but like you, I lack the enthusiasm to get back under there and strain my back trying to fight those bolts out again. Guess I will have more time in Lock-down to get onto some of these jobs.

But it drives nicely so I am practising ignoring my OCD impulses, just enjoy driving it.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,794
Yes it is annoying when it happens, after the gearbox rebuild I get a slight gearbox oil smell though the aircon when I put on recirc, can't find a leak unless there is something with the rubber seals on top of the hox.....

Re coolant, this SealWel might just help you out, damn it works well without blocking things like some others do.

·
Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
663 Posts
Yes it is annoying when it happens, re coolant, this SealWel might just help you out, damn it works well without blocking things like some others do.
Is that small coolant leak you have between the timing cover and sandwich plate or another one? I'm just wondering as mine has the factory no cost option of the leak there near the alternator and air-con compressor and have seen that Sealwel recommended by others.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,796
Is that small coolant leak you have between the timing cover and sandwich plate or another one? I'm just wondering as mine has the factory no cost option of the leak there near the alternator and air-con compressor and have seen that Sealwel recommended by others.
Couldn't locate the actual leak point, but it shows just behind the aircon pump, it is obviously higher up but just can't see source point and couldn't be bothered pulling it all off again in summer after replacing IP, had the SealWel in the toolbox so used it, all good, have pressure tested system to 17psi and not a hint of a leak.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Awesome, I will give that a go. I'd say it's the usual zd30 one where the coolant passage passes through the timing cover sandwich plate. I've read it is a sump off job to remove and replace the cover and then some say it isn't. I know that's where mine is leaking. It seems worse when not fully warming the motor up or when the vehicle sits not running in warm weather. I'd say it only happens when the coolant is around 30c as I usually find a small puddle under mine either at home or at work on warmer days. The overflow tank below the header tank doesn't change level a lot, but I'm just sick of having leaks, especially after having my d22 since brand new and never had and still don't have any leaks...

How does it hold up after a coolant change, or have you not changed it since?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,798
No I haven't changed coolant since but there is no reason why a change should effect it, I know many engine builders use this stuff, it was recommended to me by a dealer mechanic friend.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Good stuff. I believe it can be got from repco, is that the same stuff that you have?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,800
Yes, Repco stock it but they may need to order it in. For a ZD30 you need 1.5 blocks, crush it up and mix into hot water, then warm engine (doesn't need to be hot) and add to radiator, I had to remove a little coolant to make it fit.

1781 - 1800 of 1859 Posts