Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1781 - 1787 of 1787 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,420 Posts
OMG, OMG, OMG, have I told you how much I love driving my old 2000 DI?? Just in case I haven't, lotttttssss.
What with an ongoing health issue, a whole heap of ongoing Forum background stuff, Patio and Kitchen mods, there hasn't been a lot of time. Today I had to do a drive to pick up bits and pieces, man this old girl continues to astound me every time I jump in it, had a Cruiser tailgating me at one stage, probably thinking Oh yeah another slow ZD30, at a set of lights I was able to put a couple of cars between it and me no worries, it hung back after that.

I do have one issue that raised its ugly head a couple of weeks ago, a drip of coolant appearing on the floor right at the front of the engine, but origin hidden from view, first up I thought it may have been from the turbo front water cooling banjo at front of head but with limited view it doesn't appear so. My next thought is where I had to pull the front of the engine off to change IP I may have a fine weep there, that would be a pain in the arse, doesn't drip all the time though so a bit of a mystery. The pressure tester I have borrowed from my mate in the past has gone bye bye's so it seems, he can't find it, so I've built my own with bits I had laying around. When I get some enthusiasm for working on her (no hurry all still working fine) I'll pull all the shrouds off and pressurise the system for a closer look. But with temps in the mid to high 30's it may take a while lol.

View attachment 514380

View attachment 514381
Nice bit of work there. Are you using your compressor to pressurize it?
I still have my pressure tester from back when I thaught being a mechanic was a good career path. Has come in handy many times.
Hopefully you don't have to pull the front engine cover off again. Might be as simple as the thermostat rubber not sealing. Hopefully it's a quick and simple fix. Fingers crossed it is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,783
Nice bit of work there. Are you using your compressor to pressurize it?
I still have my pressure tester from back when I thaught being a mechanic was a good career path. Has come in handy many times.
Hopefully you don't have to pull the front engine cover off again. Might be as simple as the thermostat rubber not sealing. Hopefully it's a quick and simple fix. Fingers crossed it is.

Thanks, I can use my compressor or a bicycle pump. When my mate lost his I was going to buy a kit but holy moly a good one is expensive, being a bower bird I have all sorts of bits and pieces laying around so it was just a matter of finding them lol, that pressure gauge would be at least 30 years old and never used, it was a left over from a project I worked on, I have pressure gauges, regulators, vacuum gauges, you always know that one day they will come in handy ;).
Yes I hope so too, enthusiasm for a repair at the moment is not very high.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,420 Posts
Thanks, I can use my compressor or a bicycle pump. When my mate lost his I was going to buy a kit but holy moly a good one is expensive, being a bower bird I have all sorts of bits and pieces laying around so it was just a matter of finding them lol, that pressure gauge would be at least 30 years old and never used, it was a left over from a project I worked on, I have pressure gauges, regulators, vacuum gauges, you always know that one day they will come in handy ;).
Yes I hope so too, enthusiasm for a repair at the moment is not very high.
I'm all too happy to come over and give you a hand anytime mate if you aren't fully up to it due to health/injury, cbf factor etc.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,785
My body finally appears to be on the mend, two weeks ago I came off the aggressive antibiotics I finished up on for several months after lesser ones failed in their duty with the Kidney and Prostate issue I had, man they fixed the issue but destroyed my gut and body clock, building all back up with a daily dose of Yakult. To top that off I ruptured two tendons in my left ankle, couldn't drive the Trol because I couldn't depress the clutch, been driving my wife and neighbours auto's, can't remember the last time I drove the mighty GUII. So, hopefully in a few weeks my MoJo will return and I'll look into this damned little coolant leak and might investigate a few more mods lol.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
nissan
13,695 Posts
You might have to sell the mighty GU and get a triton like Foo"auto version"..
(said whilst running for cover)...

No, seriously, it's a bastard when Illness gets in the way of our interests and life in general..cause hey..thats what we live for..
Hope you are back in the saddle soon fitting more double overhead underhangs..

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,787
Got a short trip coming up in a few weeks (couple of thousand k) and still no enthusiasm to find coolant weep, so tracked down something I had recommended to others in the past to get me through for a while, It's called SealWel. A friend of mine who is a mechanic with a car dealer had recommended it years ago, he has been around a while even in Europe and knows his stuff, I had given away to members what I had for emergency so tracked down more at Repco, followed the instructions to the letter and as it turned out I had to drive to Brisbane to spend the long weekend with my Daughter (she wanted quality time with her old man so she had organised an airb&b at Redcliffe) so the leak was going to be tested straight away. Got back last night after several hundred k and no hint of a weep. I really want to take mine on this trip an not my Wife's AWD so will be monitoring closely, this is good stuff to have packed away for an emergency I reckon. Will keep you informed.

1781 - 1787 of 1787 Posts