Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1861 - 1880 of 1910 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,861 (Edited)
SHE LIVES PART 2

OK, back to the head, I did a cardboard template of the inlet and exhaust manifold ports and put them against the head, damn, they were spot on, no need to do anything to match. But throttle body to inlet manifold and exhaust manifold to turbo were not quite the same about 3mm discrepancy and slightly offset, marked them out to match and machined them to suit so now they are spot on, turbulence minimised and i had the time anyway :).

Once all bits were gathered the arduous task of torqueing the head commenced, oh it was so nice and easy back in the old days.

Water pump has 390,000 on it and it looks and feels like it went in yesterday, amazing

Fit up Timing Cover and Water pump, when I did the IP last year I replaced the static chain guide, after nearly 400,000k I thought I'd change the hinged one this time.

The tensioner itself was fine, dismantled it for inspection.

Almost all back together.

Turbo next.

TBC

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,862
SHE LIVES PART 3

So onto turbo, the new turbo had 17,000k on it so spoke to Eclipse about an inspection to follow up seeing as it was the first ZD30 to get one, so sent it down, all good as expected, fully checked and bench tested with no adjustments necessary, all AOK, so the time we spent on it back then was well worth it. All I had to do was fit the oil and coolant lines (he says knowingly), when I checked the flanges of both lines with a straight edge I found significant warping, which may have in worst case lead to leaks from both, just something to be aware of, I used one of my Mill Files to resurface them the first pics show the amount of warping and I did leave a witness mark as I didn't need to go too far.

The coolant line flange was the worst.

Fitted freshly faced lines to the turbo.

With turbo mounted on the studs, just start the nuts so the turbo has a bit of wobble, which allows a bit of movement in the pipes to get the banjo's started, for a DI getting those water lines to match up in their very difficult to get at spots is an absolute pain in the arse if the turbo has been tightened, very easy to cross the threads.

Ready to go.

No spare parts :).

Changed fuel filter earlier while I had plenty of room and seeing as fuel lines where off as well I needed to bleed the fuel system all the way to injectors, then reinstall GP’s and CCIC. Filled cooling system with tap water to start with, intention is to drive for a few days then dump, refill and add Penrite 10tenths. Also dump the flushing oil and refill with my usual MGX (old Delo400LE).

The old girl started 3rd kick J, allowed vehicle to reach normal op temp while monitoring fluid level, then shut down and allowed to fully cool and gaskets to settle and cure. Did a 60k round trip to Noosa the next day and yesterday did a 200+k round trip to Tin Can Bay while monitoring everything on the ECUTalk and gauges, very happy. I must say it feels and sounds a lot crisper, need to do a few time trials on my flat test strip when things settle, it definitely feels stronger.

Gotta love that.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,284 Posts
I had a suspicion something wasn’t quite right with the head gasket for a couple of months...
Good job, Ross. Glad to see you got it all back together. Big job!

Couple of questions:
1. What was the suspicion that you had for a couple of months? What made you do the pressure tests?

2. Was the EGR plumbing collateral damage or did it make it back on?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,865
Good job, Ross. Glad to see you got it all back together. Big job!

Couple of questions:
1. What was the suspicion that you had for a couple of months? What made you do the pressure tests?

2. Was the EGR plumbing collateral damage or did it make it back on?
Let me say from the start there was no overheating, I was seeing small irregular movement of coolant in the top and surge tanks but they would seem to recover, I built my pressure tester and would pump the system up from time to time overnight cold and all good, I had not seen or heard the bubbling I mentioned until I did that solid drive to Gympie after finally seeing a slight pressure drop overnight.
The EGR valve is sitting all alone on its bracket, still electrically connected but nothing else. When my hands recover from their arthritic mysery I'll unplug it and see what happens, project for another day :).

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,866 (Edited)
I've done a lot of things on the old Trol over the years, I've had an Elery's WS manual since Adam was a boy but it is meaningless when compared to the Electronic Service Manuals, I have 3 versions, a very early one I got hold of around 2010, one to supp 15 which is in post #9 of the DI Archives and another to supp 23 (all three on my laptop but navigated differently), the latter I can't link in here because it is massive and too big for my free storage site where I'm just on the limit already, still working on how to manage that.

I print off pages or sections as needed, the section pictured below has helped me on many occasions, the exploded views are just so helpful in a flash, that and a mobile phone to take pics at various stages for reference just make a job so much easier. If only it could cure arthritis :rolleyes:.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
272 Posts
Well done Ross, like the idea of print out electronic service manuals👍

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,868
There was one pic I took during the exercise I didn't post for some reason so here it is, this is the bolt that held the idler gear retainer bearing surface in place, you can see from the wear park the retainer had been moving around allowing the idler to wander quite severely, which explains how it entangled other sections of the scissor gear. Have done around 400k so far and the old girl feels stronger, almost impossible to stay under 3 grand in 1st and second, it just takes off. Filled up today and eco seems slightly better, doing a round trip to Kenilworth this Sunday so should have a better idea of everything after that. Next week I'll drop the coolant water and replace and add the Penrite 10Tenths.

Damn she is idling a lot smoother as well. I'm wondering if the weep between 3 and 4 has been there for a long time and only raised its ugly head when it seeped into the small water jacket pocket. I'll never really know and I hate that.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,869
Have around 500k on the clock now after head replacement, so time to flush the tap water I'd used to get the old girl running and tested, thought another flush would do it good and I wanted to make sure it was clean as a whistle for when I put the Penrite 10Tenths in. Put a cleaner in several months ago just before did a flush and tried the Nulon Red Glycol coolant (which worked quite well actually) but when I found the blown head gasket I thought I'd try something different.

Drained system from the bung under the thermostat housing and collected in plastic tubs I have to see what was going on. Amazing what came out even though I'd flushed recently, a bit of scale and general crap was still evident. Flushed with hose for around 30 minutes, in two directions, through the radiator and through the top tank back through the head, when all the crap stopped I sealed the top tank and put my cooling system pressure tester on the radiator and connected my compressor regulated to 15psi to force all water out through the bung.

Put the bung back in with some Stag on the thread (damn it took me ages to get the bung out after 20 years), then added 10Tenths and filled system with Demin through the top tank until water flowed out through the radiator cap, started engine and level in tank tank dropped, topped that up again and sealed it then put on fast idle until 84c was hit, allowed system to cool and did the last step again with engine running on fast idle.

I thought I'd check temps around the system and I was amazed, never tested like this before, cylinder head was 84c (thermostat is 82c) so all was circulating full pelt, the top radiator hose reached 69.8c and the bottom hose reached 29.5c, not a bad cooling system on the old ZD30DI, my fluid coupling fan now has 390,000k on it, I said earlier pump and coupling felt like new.

So I'll do a few short trips around home to let things settle again, heading North to Hideaway Bay for a break soon.

Drain bung under thermostat housing.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,870
Has taken the 5 days since last post and a few short trips to evacuate all the air from the cooling system after a complete drain and flush and change to Penrite 10Tenths. Still can't get over how smooth the old girl idles, I'm now thoroughly convinced the head gasket was weeping between 3 and 4 for a very long time possibly years and it really only raised its ugly head recently when it found its way into the small water jacket.

Getting the old girl ready for the trip to Hideaway Bay, in a few weeks, going up the back way, starting by traveling through the cattle stations around Biggendon, then up to Biloela, then find a back way to Mackay and on. So looking forward to getting back 'on the road again'.

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
24,947 Posts
Has taken the 5 days since last post and a few short trips to evacuate all the air from the cooling system after a complete drain and flush and change to Penrite 10Tenths. Still can't get over how smooth the old girl idles, I'm now thoroughly convinced the head gasket was weeping between 3 and 4 for a very long time possibly years and it really only raised its ugly head recently when it found its way into the small water jacket.

Getting the old girl ready for the trip to Hideaway Bay, in a few weeks, going up the back way, starting by traveling through the cattle stations around Biggendon, then up to Biloela, then find a back way to Mackay and on. So looking forward to getting back 'on the road again'.
Just warning you, there is plenty of wild life out n about at the moment.

Foo

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,872
Just warning you, there is plenty of wild life out n about at the moment.

Foo
Thanks, these days I'm off the road during peak wildlife times.

·
Premium Member
2004 ZD30di ST-L
63 Posts
Hi Ross, is that your cruise control status indicator on the top of the steering column shroud? Did you relocate it yourself?
Mine is next to the light dimmer switch which is basically #@$%ing useless. No one yet has confirmed for me but I'm adamant these cruise controls are dealer installed. The owners manual refers to cruise and set lights on the dashboard owners - must be for OS versions :(

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,875
Hi Ross, is that your cruise control status indicator on the top of the steering column shroud? Did you relocate it yourself?
Mine is next to the light dimmer switch which is basically #@$%ing useless. No one yet has confirmed for me but I'm adamant these cruise controls are dealer installed. The owners manual refers to cruise and set lights on the dashboard owners - must be for OS versions :(
Sorry mate missed this somehow. Yes it is, I had cruise control installed by the dealer not long after I bought it in 2000, it is an AusCruise unit because Nissan didn't supply a factory cruise for the manual here in Oz. You should have no issues extending wires to move indicator lamp up onto the shroud.

It would be a pain in the arse not being able to view it easily.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,876
Well, not only is she back, but back with a vengeance, did a round trip of 397k yesterday up into the mountains to Crows Nest, a trip involving highway, mountains and dirt and she went like the proverbial rocket. To make things even betterer I topped up fuel tanks this morning and you bloody beauty 9.9L/100k, last time I was near that according to my OCD records was May 2019. WhoooooHooooooo, Coolant level has fully settled, highest coolant temp I saw was 89c, highest EGT was 500c (giving it some up a long steep incline in 4th). Used .8L/100k WM which is about where I want it for long trips.

She has 1200k on her since head gasket went, that is a good flush so will do an oil change this week before heading of on a couple of thousand K trip through the back ways up to Hideaway Bay for a break.

·
Premium Member
2004 ZD30di ST-L
63 Posts
Sorry mate missed this somehow. Yes it is, I had cruise control installed by the dealer not long after I bought it in 2000, it is an AusCruise unit because Nissan didn't supply a factory cruise for the manual here in Oz. You should have no issues extending wires to move indicator lamp up onto the shroud.

It would be a pain in the arse not being able to view it easily.
Thanks for clearing that up about the aftermarket cruise. Will look into relocation for indicator but I did extend the earth to a better ground point and I think it's solved the sporadic problem of it going into limp mode with cruise on. Now that we can go 25km from home I will give it a good test later. Enjoy your trip further North :)

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,879
1861 - 1880 of 1910 Posts