Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1881 - 1900 of 1910 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,284 Posts
I don't think he meant to be inconsiderate of others predicament/ predicaments..
I just think he's gonna live it up at some resort up there..😉
Oh hell no! That never crossed my mind! I think we all know Ross is one stand up bloke and I would never expect him to do something like that.

I'm just friggin' green with envy. :sick:

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,888

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,889 (Edited)
3-11-20

Now have 21,000k on my Eclipse, the last 3000k on a trip up north to Hideaway Bay from which I have just returned. After 20 years of ownership, a grenade, a rebuild many years before joining P4x4, years of research, experimentation and projects, I’m still very impressed with what has been achieved on the old girl and decided she’s a ‘keeper’. She performed impeccably on the trip, great torque, in many cases it was like driving an auto, I could be in 5th and come into a small town drop back to 50k and still stray in 5th, come out the other side and pull away, the best the old girt has ever gone. Out on the open road I could come up behind a truck or van doing 90k+ and in 5th and hit the loud pedal, she would very quickly climb to 140k going past some of the road trains, no fuss.

While away I took notes, the old girl was loaded so very close to 3T all up.

Trip. 3000k covering as many back roads as possible, this included several crossings of the Ranges.

Engine Temp. Average 102k cruise temp was 86-87c, highest temp seen was 89c on a long climb, ambient in 30’s.

Fuel eco. Best - 10.04L/100K. Worst - 13.13L/100K. The combination of Digibooster, Eclipse, new IP, +50% Injectors means there is a more significant difference in eco based on load, you can get good numbers but when you push it hard up they go, to be expected.

EGT. Average cruise 275c. Highest seen 450c, the last number came about on a longish climb where I was in 5th and giving it a bit of throttle just to play, the moment I dropped back to 4th (where I should have been anyway) it dropped to 400c and held until climb finished. Interestingly the climb out of Monto through the first steep long 40kph section climb was a doddle in 3rd gear not getting past 320c, then on Johnsons Hill section in 4th saw 420c max, very happy with that.

Boost. Average 102k cruise was 13psi, max boost set at 25psi but rarely seen, in most cases on a good climb it went to 20/22psi.

MAF. Average voltage at 102k cruise was 3.5v.

TPS. Average 102k cruise 20/21%.

Fuel Temp. Average cruise with my fuel cooler was 43c, highest seen was 53c on a 32c day with main tank down to half.

ICV%. Average 102k cruise was 54%.

Fuel Pressure. 102k cruise with my old Carter 4601 was 10.3psi.

Water Meth. Went through on average 0.9L/100k, can adjust up and down from that but that is a good economical and easy to feed number.

On the trip while taking notes on EGT I remembered reading a conversation about CRD and EGT, without going into full historical detail, we know why some of the early DI’s failed, we know the improvements made to later DI’s and that the CRD was much more tolerant again of higher EGT, being able to handle 650c. The conversation I remembered seemed to be saying utilise that higher temp and I wonder why?

Yes, sure a relatively std ZD30DI/CRD may see some horrendous numbers if pushed hard, I remember many years ago when I fitted my EGT gauge then going for a long drive to test it out, in cruise above 100k in 5th boost dropped off and EGT soared to 700c, whoa, I had to change the way I drove having already had a grenade in 2006. Then the mods started and over the years EGT has become much easier to control culminating in what I wrote above. Most regular ZD30DI/CRD members have done a few mods themselves so it makes me wonder why does a CRD ever need to be up in that 600/650c range?

I know towing will come up, but I have towed many things over the years and how you drive has a very big baring on EGT control.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
272 Posts
Glad to hear she’s a KEEPER👍.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,892
Great results. I’d like to try to replicate them with an eclipse etc as well one day
I've heard some stories about the Eclipse since mine (the first) was installed but it definitely has not been my experience, one group in particular seem to have a bee in their bonnet and that is ECPT, I've spoken to several 'customers' who have given me that feedback and I don't understand, I do know of a couple of failures (not from there) but to my knowledge this has been because of installation issues. While playing I've had mine on and off 4 times and each time it has gone back on without issue and performed brilliantly. The water cooling is a pain in the arse to connect though, but I still use it. Later models don't have that issue.

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
24,947 Posts
I think most people don't understand that diesels don't like being over fueled and that causes a lot of grief with temps. :unsure:

Foo

·
Registered
9,497 Posts
Great to hear your results. Still very impressed with your economy, even with the larger injectors you are doing better than mine.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,895
Great to hear your results. Still very impressed with your economy, even with the larger injectors you are doing better than mine.
It really surprised me, I thought that 9.9 I had gotten earlier must have come about through an airlock in the tank when I filled it, but no. As said it is quite sensitive to load though, get into mountainous terrain and give it a bit and it goes to high 12's/13's easily, strong headwinds do the same.

·
Registered
9,497 Posts
It really surprised me, I thought that 9.9 I had gotten earlier must have come about through an airlock in the tank when I filled it, but no. As said it is quite sensitive to load though, get into mountainous terrain and give it a bit and it goes to high 12's/13's easily, strong headwinds do the same.
I seem to remember mine actually achieved about 9.9 once in its lifetime when it was still fairly standard, had the factory tyres, had a bull bar and side steps, spot lights but no roof-rack at that stage. Rose took it for a week down through the south west with her sister. So pretty lightly loaded and touring. They came back with about 1200 km on the trip meter, I filled it up and had to ask if they had topped it up during the trip because I really couldn't believe it had done so well, but they hadn't topped it up at all. Since it has had a roof-rack, bigger tyres and a lot more weight in accessories, it has never done that well again.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,897
I seem to remember mine actually achieved about 9.9 once in its lifetime when it was still fairly standard, had the factory tyres, had a bull bar and side steps, spot lights but no roof-rack at that stage. Rose took it for a week down through the south west with her sister. So pretty lightly loaded and touring. They came back with about 1200 km on the trip meter, I filled it up and had to ask if they had topped it up during the trip because I really couldn't believe it had done so well, but they hadn't topped it up at all. Since it has had a roof-rack, bigger tyres and a lot more weight in accessories, it has never done that well again.
The best I ever achieved was an 8.8L/100k on a work trip, between home and Smithtown, that was way back before I joined P4x4, the next best I got was 9.6L/100k in 2015, had a couple of high 9's along the way but mainly 10's and 11's, then 12's and 13's for quite a while. Towing, the worst I've had is 17's. Now after all the work, this latest threshold has come as a very nice surprise.

The other thing that has been standing out is as said earlier I'm staying in 5th for longer, but what has been happening more and more is when going through the gears I get up into 5th and often find myself looking for another gear but there ain't any, the feeling is good though :).

I think I may be done with engine mods now.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,301 Posts
The best I ever achieved was an 8.8L/100k on a work trip, between home and Smithtown, that was way back before I joined P4x4, the next best I got was 9.6L/100k in 2015, had a couple of high 9's along the way but mainly 10's and 11's, then 12's and 13's for quite a while. Towing, the worst I've had is 17's. Now after all the work, this latest threshold has come as a very nice surprise.

The other thing that has been standing out is as said earlier I'm staying in 5th for longer, but what has been happening more and more is when going through the gears I get up into 5th and often find myself looking for another gear but there ain't any, the feeling is good though :).

I think I may be done with engine mods now.
Maybe it's time to look at a 5th gear ratio swap if you're looking for another gear?🤔

Or diff ratio to 4.1's?😉😂

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,900
Maybe it's time to look at a 5th gear ratio swap if you're looking for another gear?🤔

Or diff ratio to 4.1's?😉😂
... or a 6-speed swap... :sneaky:
Because of her hip and knee my wife can't drive the manual and it does have a heavy clutch, maybe I should start looking at an auto conversion. 6 speed auto would be insane..............

1881 - 1900 of 1910 Posts