Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1901 - 1920 of 1962 Posts

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,447 Posts
Because of her hip and knee my wife can't drive the manual and it does have a heavy clutch, maybe I should start looking at an auto conversion. 6 speed auto would be insane..............
Re5 would be more than enough. The OD of the RE4 is pretty deep, just could be helpful if it could have a gear or two more getting into top when towing. 3RD I'd annoyingly low at an indicated 100 but 4th unlocks the converter and kicks down too often.

I found away around this buy using an electronic fuel screw over the top of the remap but then got a really nasty shudder on TC lockup (but the way it'd pull hills at 2k was unbelievable)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,905 ·
NET FOR CARRYING LIGHT GOODS AT INTERNAL ROOF LEVEL.

Thanks @jackbyo for the tip on this little device, what a great out of the way place to store our pillows or any other lightweight materials, a space previously unused. I have never gotten around to making a storage space above the fridge either I will be able to relocate this behind the half cage if I need to, or spend another $35 and put one in there permanently, ah! decisions decisions.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,907 ·
Finally a useful component from a jeep!
Yes. I owned a jeep from new in 96 until 2000 when I bought the Troll, great vehicle as it was unstoppable in every situation I placed it and I gave it a workout, dual airlockers, lift, adjustable suspension height, long range tanks, to mention a few but late in 99 I found the monocoque was cracking from towing my caravan (it wasn't a big van either, 14ft).

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Finally a useful component from a jeep!
Ah, Jeep. Ross, I was going to ask what net you got, but have seen the Jeep roof nets advertised. I have a Boab cargo barrier net, I thought about getting another but it's a rated cargo net and not that cheap for roof storage.

Where did you get the $35 version with three tie points each side, have only seen them with two per side.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,909 ·
Ah, Jeep. Ross, I was going to ask what net you got, but have seen the Jeep roof nets advertised. I have a Boab cargo barrier net, I thought about getting another but it's a rated cargo net and not that cheap for roof storage.

Where did you get the $35 version with three tie points each side, have only seen them with two per side.
Got the link from jackbyo, here it is.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,911 ·
Had an issue with an exhaust manifold gasket recently, no idea why just one of those things, maybe Fox Mulder and Dana Scully can answer that, doo dee doo doo, doo dee doo doo, all fixed now though.

The more I drive it the better it feels, strong as.

On another note, where I bought all my oils and Meth from (The Oil Shop) at the back of Coolum closed down due to family issues, I found another place but just not the same and there were limitations on brands. Yesterday I accidently came across 'The Oil Shop SEQ', it was an existing business that worked with small earth moving equipment, after seeing an opportunity they changed the name just recently and added this direction to the business.

As some would know the original The Oil Shop was one of our Show and Shine supporters Matt would put together bits and pieces over a few months that I would take to the S&S to raffle. I'll be working on this new place :).

I visited the new place and spoken to Bret, so I can get all the stuff I got from Matt in the same brands I have always used, including my 2T and Moreys, he's going to have a look at sourcing Methanol for me, we have a few leads to work with.

So, if your on the Sunny Coast and need oils and lubricants, etc, look up The Oil Shop SEQ 1/10 Endeavour Rd, Kunda Park, they may be able to assist you.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,912 ·
I can honestly say 'I' will never see this again

On another note, I have been chasing an annoying 'knock' in the back for around 3 years, it only happens on corrugations and sharp ridges. Repacked draws several times and was on the verge of dismantling them when I lifted the base of the half cage to check where the line of draw screws were, Bugga me I found a screw in the top of the draws lines up perfectly with a rivet that holds the rubber pad to the base of the cage, BLOODY HELL. Made up some rubber pads from some 3mm insertion rubber I had and stuck a strip of the hard Velcro to it so it sticks firmly to the carpet top. Went for a drive today and all good, whodathunk, talk about Murphy's Law!!!!
The bloody carpet covering and rubber base had compressed allowing the componets to touch, had the barrier for around 18 years.

The fix

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,913 ·
Yesterday I picked up a 20L drum of Caltex Delo MGX and 20L of Gulf Western Air Cooled 2T from the place I mentioned in post 1911, price was still reasonable $5.48/L for MGX and $6.02/L for the 2T. Still working on the Methanol, up until last week I was the only person who had asked them about Meth, someone else has since so we maybe able to work something out after the break, I still have 10L left and at 10% it will last me a little while. If anyone up here is after Methanol give them a call and let them know, I can't find another source here.

The small coolant leak that developed weeks after I replaced the head gasket has stopped, I really didn't want to but I added a 375ml bottle of Penrite Radiator Leak. I had searched high and low for where the leak originated, I could see where it ended, pooling on one of the bolts that holds the aircon pump in place, just very slow, tiny drops. with it taking so long to show (6000k and over 2 months), I tend to think it may have found its way to the thread of a stud in the water pump, only place that seems likely, wasn't going to go through all that again, especially in summer so this looked like the easy way out, did a lot of research and this stuff isn't going to cause a blockage, so Penrite 10Tenths coolant and Penrite Radiator Sealant seems to be working fine.

Got another trip between NY eve and 4th of Jan, 6.5 hours there and 6.5 hours back with a few K in the middle should be enough of a test.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,430 Posts
The small coolant leak that developed weeks after I replaced the head gasket has stopped, I really didn't want to but I added a 375ml bottle of Penrite Radiator Leak. I had searched high and low for where the leak originated, I could see where it ended, pooling on one of the bolts that holds the aircon pump in place, just very slow, tiny drops. with it taking so long to show (6000k and over 2 months), I tend to think it may have found its way to the thread of a stud in the water pump,
Been using this Penrite Radiator Stop Leak continuously now in CRD coolant for over 2.5 yrs with no problems. Also put in the 375ml bottle. I think my leak was from the sandwich plate gasket in behind water pump and would weep down and leave evidence of small droplet on the hex hd bolt under A/C compressor. Leak for me was more evident in colder months, 24 to 36 hrs after veh was parked cooling off (maybe the dissimilar metals having different rates of expansion etc and caused separation of the mating faces). Torqued up the retaining bolts but the stop leak sorted it.

Is this what U used ?:
https://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis_pdfs/RADIATOR STOP LEAK.pdf

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,915 ·
Been using this Penrite Radiator Stop Leak continuously now in CRD coolant for over 2.5 yrs with no problems. Also put in the 375ml bottle. I think my leak was from the sandwich plate gasket in behind water pump and would weep down and leave evidence of small droplet on the hex hd bolt under A/C compressor. Leak for me was more evident in colder months, 24 to 36 hrs after veh was parked cooling off (maybe the dissimilar metals having different rates of expansion etc and caused separation of the mating faces). Torqued up the retaining bolts but the stop leak sorted it.

Is this what U used ?:
https://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis_pdfs/RADIATOR STOP LEAK.pdf
Yes that is the one, I figured a stop leak made by the same people who made the coolant I used was the way to go, writeups seemed good as well.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,430 Posts
I was very hesitant at first as well, had a chat to Penrite and it was also recommended by a mechanic that I know. For info, I used Nissan supplied coolant as that what was in when decided to add stop leak. Penrite recommended for me to add 2 X 375 ml bottles, I put in 1 and 3/4 bottles. Seems good stuff.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,917 ·
I was very hesitant at first as well, had a chat to Penrite and it was also recommended by a mechanic that I know. For info, I used Nissan supplied coolant as that what was in when decided to add stop leak. Penrite recommended for me to add 2 X 375 ml bottles, I put in 1 and 3/4 bottles. Seems good stuff.
I used the genuine Niss coolant up until last year when for whatever reason I decided to go Nulon red, when I did the head gasket I decided to give this Penrite 10Tenths a go, it got some attention in a coolant thread I started a while back, so far so good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow, really wonderful topic.
A lots of interesting mods!
Really good job and ability ;)

In Australia you are used to talk about hp at wheels, is it? In Italy we always say hp at engine, so we can have a bigger smile at bar when we speak about our car.

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,583 Posts
Great job on this thread GU2 and great job with that head change!! I am about to do my own and it looks not too bad,I have all the tools on the ready inc a new torque wrench and just waiting now for my head and head kit to arrive and I shall start the project.I'm debating putting on a lower K turbo I have as a spare too as I'm at it,I can hear a whine out of mine now.
One question for you, how did you clean & prepare the block prior to fitting the head,method used?
Also,how did you take off that annoying head drain pipe?? Not looking forward to that part🙈 Last head I removed I just pulled the whole lot off together 😅

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,583 Posts
Hi Ross,
Just spotted this on your Rad and was wondering why this is open under the cap 🤔😯
I stuck a bolt in my rad I had years ago which was similar to this with some gasket sealant to prevent any Coolant loss or pressure loss, aftermarket rad for you.
The rad I use now is Normal for the Patrol and does not have that outlet.

1901 - 1920 of 1962 Posts