Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1961 - 1975 of 1975 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,961 ·
Eclipse Turbo Observations Continued
Just back from a 1000k trip up north, mainly on backroads (Bruce Hway is a bloody nightmare at the moment). Very happy with performance of the old Trol, throttle response is fanbloodytastic.

Will need further numbers before claiming anything but fuel eco on this trip was quite encouraging, for sure with the mods I've done over the years when I put my foot down it will chew up the gas, but normal driving (not necessarily conservative) does yield reasonable results, as said earlier AFR went up by one point and the figures for this trip are showing a slight improvement.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,962 ·
Eclipse Turbo Observations Continued
Got a few more K's up on it now, I must say the responsiveness right through the range and particularly at bottom end is fanbloodytastic, the old Eclipse was designed to act just as good as the GT2052 at the bottom end, which it did. Had to go to Brisbane and back on Saturday, another good all-round test, it doesn't pull from any lower revs in 4th gear but from 1300rpm it pulls away more smoothly, no feathering required. Impressed.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,963 ·
Eclipse Turbo Observations Continued.
Wife wanted to go to Toowoomba Flower Festival so headed off yesterday morning, 400k round trip and another good test of the Eclipse (and digibooster :eek:) going through all those steep climbs on the back ways through Peachester, Crows Nest, etc.
The instant throttle response is still amazing me, a very pleasant drive (except for the corrugations on some of those back roads, worst I've seen it). the other thing standing out is fuel eco, not massive but gratefully accepted, I have a long spreadsheet for fuel, servicing etc, the fuel sheet has a rolling average of the last 6 fill ups and a trend has shown, I'm 0.5L/100k better off, on the verge of breaking back into 10's after quite a while in upper 11's.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,392 Posts
Best sorted zd going around and still in love after 21 years..
Bet misso gee gets jealous about the way you look at her.;)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,965 ·
Best sorted zd going around and still in love after 21 years..
Bet misso gee gets jealous about the way you look at her.;)
Funny you should say that, we were watching TV the other night and something came up about where things stand in peoples lives and she said "I know my place is after the Patrol", looks like I've got some work to do :rolleyes:.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,392 Posts
Us Blokes are different to the fairer sex.. wouldnt see many ladies still in love with a 21 year old vehicle .

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,967 ·
EMP Test
Did an EMP test today seeing as I haven't done one in a while, normal driving it sits around or slightly over 1-1, max boost is set at 25psi or just over, if I hit the loud pedal really hard for a several seconds boost will go just over that, the highest I saw it was 1.5-1 flat stick, I'm happy.

EMP pickup point at end of exhaust manifold. two things that made this job easy was the new magnetic base light I picked up from a tool shop and my step that goes over the wheel, great little aids.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Rim Automotive exterior Hood

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

EMP test gauge
Brown Wood Clock Gauge Measuring instrument

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
I wish I had drilled and tapped a hole in the blanking plate that I made for the end of the manifold. It would have made it so much easier now to remove a plug and fit the exhaust pressure fitting. Now I have to remove my heat shield then the plate and drill it. Just one of those things my ribs and back don't like doing bent over the bonnet any more. But one day I will get myself a roundtoit.

Also I like that step idea, I have been using a set of fold out plastic steps, but they tend to slip back a bit just as I lean over too far, which can give me a nasty surprise and tweak the back a bit.

So the figure 1.5-1 is that exhaust to inlet ratio. Not bad if that's at full throttle. Is the exhaust turbine side much bigger on the new Eclipse than the old one?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,969 ·
The heat shield actually has an access hole for the EMP test attachment, I just haven't refitted the shield yet since fitting the new turbo. Yes that is emp to imp ratio. As far as I know the turbine is exactly the same size, may be slightly lighter, comp wheel is much lighter and also different shape. I know what you mean mate, I use an old thin pillow over the mudguard, after I broke my ribs playing with the Patrol they healed with a large raised lump that gets sore when I lean on my chest, getting old is no fun sometimes Geordie :mad:

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,086 Posts
The turbine wheel is a crap load lighter and a very different blade shape hence why the turbo has very nice transitions with less EMP.(would be EFR insane if we had ball bearings) The turbine housing is also shaped differently from the old. Old wheel will not fit new housing nor does the new wheel fit the old turbine housing. The comp wheel is quite different as well as is the matching comp housing. The only bit that's the same is the CHRA and its bearings and thrust washer.

The wheel step is a life saver i have had one for many years. I actually built a fixed version from light RHS in the late 70's to reach into my silly jacked up on 35's F100 460 big block. But now upgraded to the hinged one. Only issue is i always forget to remove it when going on a test drive so it gets run over at least once a week and no damage so far.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,971 ·
Spoolup
The Trol has been sitting in the driveway since EMP test the other day, yesterday I dismantled the test gear and the gauge I had taped to the windscreen and took it for a quick drive to my test strip to make sure I hadn't 'dislodged' anything. Did something I haven't done in years, 4th gear from 1300rpm and watch what boost gauge read, 11psi at 1500rpm and bloody 26psi (max at which I set digibooster) at 2000rpm, damn this thing spools up quick! Tried another thing from years ago, what reading when free revving? 3 pumps of the throttle and it hit 26psi.
So did a couple of test runs 60-100Kph in 4th and knocked a few tenths of the previous best. I'm happy.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,973 ·
This thread its just the most crazy long term data dump ever. My patrol gets jealous when it hears I've been reading about yours...
Lol......

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,587 Posts
Nice thread GU2,
Sounds like your Patrol is making serious power now!
It's always exciting playing around with them and reaping the benefits.

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,975 ·
Nice thread GU2,
Sounds like your Patrol is making serious power now!
It's always exciting playing around with them and reaping the benefits.
Thanks Dan appreciate that. Nice to drive, that's the criterion, I have never been after the most horsepower I can get, just the best 'driveabilty' I can manage.

1961 - 1975 of 1975 Posts