Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening Gentlemen,

Bottom line up front: I have a number of accumulated issues which are preventing me from providing my 248,000 kilometre old GU the TLC it deserves.

Background

I am not a mechanical retard; I simply have limited experience and no local friends that can help me out with Patrols. In an attempt to learn the vehicle, I have conducted my own basic servicing successfully for a while now and lurked these forums for months.

This evening, I was conducting my second fuel filter change in conjunction with an oil/oil filter change. It went relatively successfully as I only had minor spillage; however, the filter would not prime. I pumped it close to a thousand times over an hour in between doing the oil change and other tasks to no avail. This is my pressing issue at present. My other issues alluded to in the title will be addressed as secondary matters.

Fuel filter priming

About six months ago I experienced difficulty maintaining a basic idle after not starting my vehicle for a week. This was fixed by priming the filter four to six times resulting in Robert being your Mother's brother. After resuming a more regular usage pattern, this issue subsided. I fear that I have found it again having disconnected the fuel lines this evening.

Having zero knowledge of how the fuel lines track along the vehicle, whether the IP is pre- or post-filter, et cetera, I removed the filter-out line and placed an old soft drink bottle underneath to attempt to witness flow without success. There are no visible leaks on the tarp or concrete which leads me to believe it is air. I cannot figure out where though.

I am not super comfortable tearing my fuel system apart without supervision, so advice is welcomed. I've read about fault finding with clear hoses; however, more research and workshop manual time will be required tomorrow.

Further, the fuel within the lines was sufficient to start the engine for approximately 5 seconds before it starved and the 'SUB TANK' indicator came on before I hastily turned the system off. Can I crank the engine to assist priming the line without doing damage to the engine?

I have not checked any fault codes because I have never done them before and would need to go back to the stickys to ascertain that process.

NADS

Good old NADS threads! :p I have everything I need to complete the installation—short of experience working on cars! Here are some quick-fire questions that I have not been able to find answers for:

• Has anyone attempted to install/successfully installed a mechanical VDO boost gauge in conjunction with an HPD intercooler? The threads do not match out of the respective boxes and I am stuck.
  • Will a Dremel be enough to cut through the heat shield, provided I can every remove the bastard?
  • Is 7.5A wiring enough for the gauge wiring? The workshop manual read like everything was 15A; however, when I pulled the fascia off, all the console wiring was tiny!

So yeah, I apologise for any grammatical errors or if any information is missing, but I needed a scotch to write this because I'm rather bummed. Please throw any/all suggestions below and I'll work through them as best as I can.

·
Registered
nissan
206 Posts
Hi gentleman, when you took out the old fuel filter did you change over the little black washer/O ring from the old to the new filter? If not it could be sucking in air.
just a thought.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Regarding your fuel:

Is your driveway on a slope? How full is your fuel tank? I have this same issue when I change my fuel filter as the fuel drains back into the tank. Pumping my primer thing seems to do nothing of use apart give me a good workout. The only way I could reprime it was to use my air compressor to blow in the fuel filler until fuel came up, then shove it back on.

Do you live in the Adelaide hills? Happy to give you a hand if you are stuck.

The hpd intercooler will accept a threaded barb for the hose. I'm not sure what size it is but hpd do supply them if you get stuck (they will post it too).

A dremel should go through the heatsheild however a grinder will make shorter work of it. Again, happy to help if you get stuck.

I'm not sure how much power the gauge would use but 15a seems excessive. Did it come with an inline fuse?

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Edit just saw that you live in Albury/Wodonga - I must have been thinking of someone else..

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
I'm not up wth zd tech, But I would say failing the above suggestions, it sounds like the lift pump is shot, and possibly be I good time to mount a fuel pump in there.

·
Registered
nissan
110 Posts
Hello,
I have a HPD intercooler and a mechanical VDO boost gauge that I have installed myself.

However, mine is a 2001 TD42T.

My HPD intercooler has a barb on it that accepts the boost hose which goes straight to the VDO gauge. There are no threaded fittings.

If you require screw in fittings, PIRTEK is your friend.

Regards

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you for your initial responses.

4wheeler: Yes, I did replace the lower O-ring. After reinforcing failure for 10 minutes, I took the assembly apart again and reassembled everything ensuring that all seals were a little tighter than previous without any success.

dronus4x4: I must apologise for your confusion as I haven't posted for ages and had neglected to update my location until last night! I used to live in the Adelaide Hills and attended the forum meet up last year at Marion :p

When I get the nose into the garage, the surface is sufficiently level as the driveway is horrible—it is currently sitting on a good 20° angle or so with its bum facing down which won't help immediately. Fuel capacity is at just under half on the gauge. I picked up a cheap small compressor the other week but can get some hose to try your method. Do you just use a rag to create a seal at the filler point?

Also: the VDO kit comes with a little flow restrictor which I'm unsure about. I can't see how that would aid a correct reading... I guess I'll give both companies a call today! No in-line fuses were provided.

Boundry Rider: One of those little pump has definitely jumped up the list of mods from 'nice to have' to 'before next fuel filter change'!

2bukoo: Cool, thanks for that. You obviously didn't use that little restrictor that came with the kit?

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Ahh yes I thought I recognized you :)

Try it with the nose facing down hill.

GU patrols don't come with a lift pump, but it is a popular mod. I need one too..

Yes I just wrap a rag around the air compressor hose and shove it in, sealing the best I can. If you loosen the pipe on the filter closest to the IP (the one at the front of the car) it should fill the new filter. Alternatively you should fill the new filter with diesel first. I'm convinced the hand pump works best with something in there.
I found also that it works best with more than 1/2 tank.

I'd like to make up a rubber bung that has a hole in it to do this... Or just fit a lift pump!!

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
Boundry Rider: One of those little pump has definitely jumped up the list of mods from 'nice to have' to 'before next fuel filter change'!
One of these feeds my 6.5 full time. Mounted in the quarter guard behind the taillight. 6.5 don't have a mechanical pump only just this electrical one.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
With the vdo gauge the restrictor is used to reduce boost bounce but
I also use bit of the cotton bud to reduce noise in gauge.

·
Registered
nissan
110 Posts
Thank you for your initial responses.

2bukoo: Cool, thanks for that. You obviously didn't use that little restrictor that came with the kit?
It's been a while since I installed mine and yes, now I recall that little restrictor. It goes at the gauge end. I remember being stumped by it, but I am sure it states when you should or should not use it on the instructions and that solved it for me.

I just had a quick look for my instructions but with no luck. I remember it being a problem at install time but the instructions did clear it up.

I'm sure I used it and it fit with the gauge fittings supplied. It's the I/C end that has no threads on mine, just a push on barb.

I'm out of time at the mo, I'll try and find my instructions later, unless you have your instruction sheet...

So you're in luck, I just found my instructions, so i"ll just edit this post.

The fitting kit (tube) on mine is also an 'oil line kit' (PN 230.013 & 230.013) used either for oil or air gauges.

The fitting instructions have a note: Insert the air restrictor - p/n 10027 from gauge side OR air restrictor - p/n230.015 from the engine/air manifold side, when installing a turbo pressure gauge/vacuum gauge in the vehicle.

I used 10027 from the gauge side because, as mentioned, I only have push on fittings at the manifold side.

10027 is like a little thumb tack with a hole through the middle (it's the only way I can think to describe it).
230.015 is like a tiny bullet with a hole through the middle.

I can take a photo of my instructions if you need further clarification. Hope this helps you!

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Progress update, Gentlemen!

I made a quick trip to Bunnings for the compressor hose/fittings I needed to buy anyway and was able to blow enough air to get fuel through the filter! A couple of unsuccessful crank/prime cycles later and bam, life. All in front of the wife who was impressed, so credit one Internet and hopefully your Karma will be in the mail soon.

2bukoo, I do have all of my instructions still and I'll sit down later this afternoon and digest your post after I get back to the hedge trimming and gutter cleaning that was today's actual task :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts