Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
According to Nissan they fitted two different turbos to the ZD3.0 DDTI engine used in the Patrol. Water cooled and air cooled but only fitted them for 7 months before going back to air cooled. Can anyone confirm this? The oil cooled is also bigger then the air cooled version.

I've double checked in Fast and it clearly says that they fitted these different turbo for Y61 Patrol.

If you have FAST global version 2014 look at GL and go to sec 144-Q-6 more details in sec 135 and 213.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,264 Posts
I know about an oil cooled and an oil and water cooled, but not an air cooled. The one on my 2000 is different to my 2007.

There was a thread regarding turbo swaps on ZD30s and I think it was DieselTuner that said they only fit the oil cooled version in replacement jobs.

EDIT:

Not the example I mentioned, but one of.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/di-turbo-fit-crd-84591/

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,557 Posts
They were either air cooled or water cooled, there wasn't an oil cooled as such, they both have oil going through them, the air cooled was fitted from sometime in July 2002, I have the numbers somewhere but would take me a while to find them, they are interchangeable just by blocking various ports, to my knowledge they are both the same turbo otherwise, one being bigger is news to me!

Mine is water cooled and I can fit an air cooled to it if I want to, had checked this out sometime back when I thought I had damaged my Turbo, but my personal opinion is that the water cooled is the better option, when you look at what Nissan did over the years you can see where various brackets and "non essential" fittings were dropped off in cost cutting exercises, there are heaps when I compare mine to say a 2004.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,264 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but by air-cooled you literally mean there is just no water cooling?

I ask because there is no air channels, heat sinks or extra material on the 'air-cooled' version to differentiate it from the water-cooled version. Essentially they both have the same amount of air cooling?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,557 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but by air-cooled you literally mean there is just no water cooling?

I ask because there is no air channels, heat sinks or extra material on the 'air-cooled' version to differentiate it from the water-cooled version. Essentially they both have the same amount of air cooling?
Ed Zackery. To fit an aircooled you need to block the water galleries on your pre July 2002.

Will move this to the DI section.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts