Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated in a previous thread, I am getting new tyres (was supposed to be today, long story, but couldnt sort it out today). A mate has thrown a spanner in the works and suggested I should get the BFGs instead of the Geolanders I always swear by. I was interested to hear from people who have had experience with either tyre, or better still, both. Also the guy at the tyre place said, and I quote, "no one ever gets 275s on Patrols, they always get 285s". Is there any truth to this, and are there any advantages/disadvantages to changing from my stock 275s to 285s?

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Hi Ralph, have a look at the Goodyear Duratrac too. I briefly owned a set of BFGs and wasn't impressed and got rid of them.

Going up to the larger size will impact the power and economy slightly. Whether you can actually measure any difference between 275 and 285 is questionable.

Fwiw if you want AT my choice would be Duratrac 285s.

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ralph, have a look at the Goodyear Duratrac too. I briefly owned a set of BFGs and wasn't impressed and got rid of them.

Going up to the larger size will impact the power and economy slightly. Whether you can actually measure any difference between 275 and 285 is questionable.

Fwiw if you want AT my choice would be Duratrac 285s.
Thanks, I was just googling duratracs, they look good and the reviews seem good. Are they quiet, good on the road? We do a fair bit of 4wding, but the car is my wife's daily car, dropping kids to school, shopping etc.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
BFG ATs are deadly in the wet, zero traction.

Stick to your first choice.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Thanks, I was just googling duratracs, they look good and the reviews seem good. Are they quiet, good on the road? We do a fair bit of 4wding, but the car is my wife's daily car, dropping kids to school, shopping etc.

Not sure how they sound Ralph... I run muddies.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Would the duratracs be a little too aggressive for sand compared to geolandars? We do quite a bit of 4wding in the sand.

They are more aggressive but I doubt it would be noticeably detrimental on sand... I've had no probs with muddies in sand with the right pressure so Duratrac would be fine. And you've got the 3.0 auto which loves sand so nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,167 Posts
If you were after a serious offroad mud tyre then BFG can't be beaten but for an All Terrain/daily driver stay with the Geolandars.

What size wheels do you run? Most people with Patrols will go for a Light Truck rated tyre for the extra sidewall strength and resistance against staking when pressures are lowered for offroad use. Geolandar 275s are not available in LT construction except for an 18" wheel. They are available in LT construction for both 265 and 285 in 16" & 17" wheel sizes. A Patrol is a heavy enough vehicle that you won't notice much deterioration in ride quality going to the heavier LT construction so it would be a good idea to stay with those tyres that have a size beginning with LT. Most importantly don't get a tyre where the size begins with P which stands for Passenger vehicle which have softer than standard sidewalls for extra comfort.

Have a look at the tyre sizes in the link below. You can compare the various sizes and see their overall height. For reference a stock size Patrol tyre is 31" high.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/geolandar_a_t_s

Cheers,

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
Another vote for the geolanders, They dont appear to be as agressive as the BFG but will out preform them in every enviroment,

I have had both The BFG and the Geo's on my patrol, Geolanders are a far better tyre in every rerspect.

The BFGs arnt too bad untill you get to about 50K kms then its like driving on Ice. My old set of geolanders still couldnt loose traction in the wet with 90,000kms on them.

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Yokos in the 275 dont come in light truck only the 285s. How important is it to get light truck tyres if driving at low pressures with a fair amount of weight in the car. If possible I would rather stick with stock size as we can keep our spare and save some money on buying a fifth tyre. We camp for extended periods in areas where there are no means to repair a tyre and I'd hate to be driving around in 4wd for weeks on end with one tyre a different size.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
We camp for extended periods in areas where there are no means to repair a tyre and I'd hate to be driving around in 4wd for weeks on end with one tyre a different size.
If you mount the spare on the front, in 4x4 you won't notice it and in 2wd you wouldn't notice it either.

Stick with LT tyres, stronger construction and sidewalls.

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd try and stay with LT tyres whichever brand you choose. What size 275s do you currently run?

Cheers,

PS. Pity you didn't get them a couple of weeks ago. Yokohama had a buy 3 get one free promo. http://www.bobjane.com.au/media/222047/june_yokohama_promo_termsconditions.pdf
Yeah that deal expired Friday and we went in on Monday and they wouldn't do it. I currently have the stock tyres that came on the car brand new, they have 30000 on them and we dont like them at all. I belive they are 275 65 r17. I have geolandars on my Ranger and love them.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Yeah that deal expired Friday and we went in on Monday and they wouldn't do it. I currently have the stock tyres that came on the car brand new, they have 30000 on them and we dont like them at all. I belive they are 275 65 r17. I have geolandars on my Ranger and love them.

Hey Ralph, out of curiosity what do you like/dislike between the two?

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Ralph, out of curiosity what do you like/dislike between the two?
Theres a few things, firstly the wear. My geos have nearly 60000 klms on them under constant load (work ute) and a fair bit of 4wding, and still look good. The stock ones have 30000 and look pretty worn. Also, the stock ones keep deflating, we are losing several psi a week, my geos I rarely check and rarely have to. The geos are more aggressive which is great for 4wding, yet on road they are quiet and great in the wet. The stock ones dont grip as well, and when 4wding at low pressures the wall doesnt look as 'strong' as the geos. Above all else, I have given my geos hell on my ranger and they stay strong, never had a puncture or a chip and still look great.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,167 Posts
I belive they are 275 65 r17.
Then I'd go for the Geolandar LT265/70R17 which is only 0.7 of an inch greater in height which is less difference than full tread to fully worn on the same tyre. You will have no problems using your 275/65R17 stockers as spares with that size tyre.

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, so after a week I think I'm starting to figure out which way we're going. We are thinking of getting the 285s in the geos, that way we get the light truck size and just keeping the 17" rims. Will having the 285s instead of the 275s affect power of the car or speedo or anything else I should factor in as opposed to the 275s?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts