Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Thats cool to watch, I wonder how they would cope with this one

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Excellent, the guy who invented roundabouts probably wasn't all bad but the guy who decided to put them on highways should be stuffed and burnt (and not necessarily in that order).

What about that monstrosity that was at the Brisbane airport, brilliant piece of lateral thinking :rolleyes:.

The 6 months I recently spent working in the US (Indiana) reminded me of how bad they really are. Sure they have them on small intersections over there but on main roads they are fly overs etc, you rocket on at your 60 - 70MPH.

Just returned from an annoying trip to Newcastle, man the number of times you go from 100-110k to 60k, to negotiate a bloody roundabout is ridiculous and dangerous then they have to put in those noisy strips to wake you up before you get there.

One thing we can always count on here is for local/state/federal governments to take the cheapest least thought out option.

Oh dear, cynical me.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What got me with this is the fact that the roundabout is simply painted on the road. It may have worked better if it was actually raised like ours are; though some you can simply drive over, like those stupid ones in narrow streets, but the major ones are an obstacle for all but drunk drivers.

Cheers

Ray

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts

I'll swear our Brisbane airport guy must have had a hand in designing that!

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Thats not the best one I have driven around, there is one that has a huge island in the middle that you drive the wrong way around then lots of smaller ones you drive the right way round, its a total mind f*$k

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
The airport one in bris is brilliant now, they turned into a normal turn left,right intersection and the flyovers work brilliantly, as geeyoutoo said..........

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
Seems that Germans dont have many roundabouts - or just dont understand the concept of how to use them.

Anyone been to Warrnambool - our town is full of them and in tourist season (now) every clueless ****wit seems to be confused by them.
Ive had people trying to turn right from the left lane THROUGH my car, ive had people use the left lane as a straight ahead lane (left lanes MUST turn left in the CBD), then theres the morons that feel the need to try and cross double white lines so they can park on the other side of the street.

Oh, we also have a peanut shaped roundabout at Safeway too!

·
Registered
nissan
270 Posts
Reminds me of figure 8 racing! LOL! But seriously, I would hate to see those drivers in Toowoomba, roundabouts on nearly every single intersection!

·
Registered
419 Posts
This one in Mooroolbark is pretty stupid as well.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
but biggles that one is awesome for drifties, especially the off camber part infront of teh cop shop going towards the car wash ;) lol

·
Registered
nissan gu
166 Posts
I have visited Germany a few times, no way they drive that bad :)

Its a tourist road near the airport I guess :grinroll::bananada::p:p

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
While not as devilish as that one, this is still stupidity galore here in Adelaide. Cheers
I worked for 7 yrs 100 mtrs from this and went through it a billion times....I developed some interesting techniques to stay alive and undented through here.

about a dozen very close calls tho.

Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts