Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Try get engineered or run the risk?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1997 GQ Patrol
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently running 37s and a 2 inch lift, thinking of getting a 6 inch lift and possibly getting 2 inch coil spacers, also thinking of running a 6 inch and downsizing to 35s.

Anyone out there gotten engineered for a 6 inch lift or above?

Also is it worth the hassle/cost to get it engineered if that's even possible, or should I just bit the bullet when I eventually get yellow stickered?

Nik Mitic's PARTBUSS is running 37s and don't remember him ever saying he's gotten them engineered nor been hassled out too much, and Sivan Heyns' GULAG is running 37s and a 6 inch lift, only ever remember him getting defected once.
Wheel Tire Sky Automotive carrying rack Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

Interested to hear your responses.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
20,812 Posts
Currently running 37s and a 2 inch lift, thinking of getting a 6 inch lift and possibly getting 2 inch coil spacers, also thinking of running a 6 inch and downsizing to 35s.
Don’t mean to rain on your parade, but why?

·
Registered
1997 GQ Patrol
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don’t mean to rain on your parade, but why?
Could say for better performance off road but then I wouldn't need such a big lift. In short just looking to have a fun build I can mess around with on the dunes and wouldn't hurt if it looked good too.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
20,812 Posts
Going to be sooooo unstable on dunes. Your decision, but be prepared to shell out shiploads of $s.

·
Registered
1997 GQ Patrol
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going to be sooooo unstable on dunes. Your decision, but be prepared to shell out shiploads of $s.
Yeah I know, Nothing sensible about owning an 97 GQ though.

"Your decision, but be prepared to shell out shiploads of $s."
To get engineered? I know the whole setups gonna make a dent in the wallet 😂.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
6,274 Posts
Having a legal vehicle is good when in an accident, as insurance will cover it.

Having an illegal vehicle will void your insurance in the case of an accident, and if someone is injured badly or killed you could be held liable for a damages claim that could not be repaid in two lifetimes.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,778 Posts

Having an illegal vehicle will void your insurance in the case of an accident, and if someone is injured badly or killed you could be held liable for a damages claim that could not be repaid in two lifetimes.
Absobloodylutely, the forgotten, possibly costly and lifechanging aspect.

·
Registered
1997 GQ Patrol
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

[/QUOTE
Absobloodylutely, the forgotten, possibly costly and lifechanging aspect.
Yeah, that's one of the main reasons I'm wanting to get it engineered. I've gotten all the kit installed by qualified mechanics, upgraded the brakes, upgraded to Tough Dog return to centre steering dampers, maintain and get it serviced regularly. I know the lift and tires negatively affect on road performance, but is it really worse than a car that's poorly maintained (a large percentage of cars currently "road legal".

·
Registered
234 Posts
Even if you have an accident that's not your fault you can be liable for everything as your car is illegally modified. A hell of alot of risk for minimal reward i say. To get properly engineered is not easy nor cheap. Have seen a few 4wds lately with big lifts and tyres with stickers so along as your aware of the risks involved then it's your call really. They don't drive very nicely when that big and roll over pretty bloody easily too!!!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,778 Posts
Another problem: 35"/37" tyres and a whopping great lift are very noticeable, so even if you get it engineered you'll probably be chatting with the constabulary on a regular basis.
Absobloodylutely. A couple of years ago I was at Bribie Island, at the entry to the Beach the RTA guys were setup to do inspections, the guys that spotted them and immediately did a U turn didn't see the cops around the corner who were nailing them as they went past, no win situation. Have seen the same thing on Teewah and Rainbow Beach where there's one way in and one way out.

To the OP, sorry but for my own info I must question the reasoning behind your endevour, mines got a 3" lift and 32" tyres and nothing has stopped it in 22 years so far. I've also done a hell of a lot of Beach driving at the places mentioned above as well as beaches in WA, NSW, Victoria and SA.

Wheel placement and going into a situation in the right gear and setup are very important.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,692 Posts
It’s all about the look, @geeyoutoo. They “justify” it by saying it’s to improve off-road capability but in reality capability has nothing to do with it. The bigger the wheels and higher the lift, the more it “slaps”. (That’s what my 14-year old daughter told me. Then again, that might be soooooo 2021. :oops:)

·
Registered
1997 GQ Patrol
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Even if you have an accident that's not your fault you can be liable for everything as your car is illegally modified. A hell of alot of risk for minimal reward i say. To get properly engineered is not easy nor cheap. Have seen a few 4wds lately with big lifts and tyres with stickers so along as your aware of the risks involved then it's your call really. They don't drive very nicely when that big and roll over pretty bloody easily too!!!
Exactly what I was thinking, getting the forms to fill out to hand to an engineer and hopefully get approved. I've settled on 35s and a 4 inch lift. Still seems like too much to ask for considering what you guys have said.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,778 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking, getting the forms to fill out to hand to an engineer and hopefully get approved. I've settled on 35s and a 4 inch lift. Still seems like too much to ask for considering what you guys have said.
At least we have gotten you thinking deeper, I said earlier in one of your threads, you could be making life changing decisions here.

·
Registered
1997 GQ Patrol
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At least we have gotten you thinking deeper, I said earlier in one of your threads, you could be making life changing decisions here.
Yeah, thanks all, it's not going to be spending much time on the road, was just wanting to get it engineered, for the occasional bottle-o/supermarket run.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
4,016 Posts
The same insurance risks apply pretty well everywhere, unless you're in a comp which has its own insurance. On the beach = on the road. On private property = still liable if someone is injured. Having your car registered, legal AND insured avoids all these problems.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
20,812 Posts
Yeah, thanks all, it's not going to be spending much time on the road, was just wanting to get it engineered, for the occasional bottle-o/supermarket run.
Could say for better performance off road but then I wouldn't need such a big lift. In short just looking to have a fun build I can mess around with on the dunes
Not many supermarkets or bottlo’s in the dunes. 😉🤣

• Haha
Reactions: evan_r
1 - 20 of 21 Posts