Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Silly Question for the Tech Guru's would you have a 3 lt factory New Long Engine balanced?before fitting
and would it give the engine better running, slight increase in KW NM ? better fuel economy
and would I need to have my 193,000km old injector 3lt pump checked ?motor comes with new injectors and glow plugs from factory.
old turbo was working fine keep it or replace?
Thanks
p.s no grenade Bull$%^& please

·
Registered
378 Posts
to balance the engine you would need to completely strip it which would require a new head gasket and a fair bit of labor sounds a little excessive to me

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
When I had my long motor installed, I just had all the old bolt on parts put back on. Why would you need to go to the extent of balancing the new engine? Throw it in and drive it as is I say.

Maybe get the IP serviced, I didnt bother but will head on down to Berrima diesel over christmas for a full shakedown of the IP.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not as much feed back as I thougt this would generate, I just thought if I put a solid flywheel on it would be good to balance it all up togther?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
its just cost.

if you where rebuilding a motor then getting it balanced doesn't add a big lot to the bill. however pulling apart a new engine will cost a fair bit more.
if you can pull part and reassembling the motor your self it may be worth the cost. however for a low rpm motor i don't think balancing will make a lot of difference.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To answer some of your other questions, balancing your engine internals will allow the engine to rev faster and more freely. This will produce more power and torque. And because of this, you will use less skinny pedal to get the same power as before = better economy.

As others have said though, the heads will need to be removed and the bottom end disassembled. The crank will be balanced and the conrods and pistons will all be weighed and modified so that they weigh the same. And then it all gets reassembled - new headgasket etc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you would they balance the new Solid flywheel and clutch when they do the crank?
I have not had any problems with the original standard duelmass clutch,but I am thinking while she is out do I put a new clutch in ,I am still in 2 minds at the benifits of a solid flywheel clutch any opinions??

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
4,691 Posts
IF the motor is all complete and ready to drop in
Drop it in and go
To balance as suggested requires a full tear down and maybe replacement of some parts
IF this engine you have ready to drop in is a nissan replacement im pritty sure any warranty it has will be null and void if you were to tear it to pieces

Blue printing (all correct tolerances) and balancing is a good thing
But for a run of the mill car,not required
This sorta stuff is mainly for high revving,minimal tolerance race type motors

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you would they balance the new Solid flywheel and clutch when they do the crank?
I have not had any problems with the original standard duelmass clutch,but I am thinking while she is out do I put a new clutch in ,I am still in 2 minds at the benifits of a solid flywheel clutch any opinions??
Flywheel and clutch will be balanced already - i can't imagine they can do much more.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Engines today are balanced to within a pooftenth of perfect from the factory , you would need a Dynamometer in your bum to detect any difference .

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Engines today are balanced to within a pooftenth of perfect from the factory , you would need a Dynamometer in your bum to detect any difference .

what does the balance shaft do in them then? besides seizing up like mine?

·
Registered
308 Posts
what does the balance shaft do in them then?

Two totally different things altogether .

Balancing an engine requires the removal or adding of metal to a crankshaft , if heavier counter weights can't be lightened , lighter counter weights are drilled and Mallory metal plugs are inserted as Mallory metal is heavier than steel . Con Rods are ground so they all weigh the same . Flywheels and other rotating masses are balanced . What I was meaning before is that the precision methods and machining of engines today means they are very well balanced from the factory .

Balance shafts are fitted mainly to four cylinder engine because they have an inherent balance problem because of the crank throws being 180* apart which is called a "flat crank" .

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have often woundered what "blueprinting" was I think in means having all compression chambers,bores ,rings, the same volume/size ?

That is correct , it involves methods such as fitting a Perspex plate with a hole drilled in it over the combustion chambers one at a time . The plate is sealed against the head with grease . A calibrated syringe is used to inject light oil through the hole until all the air is gone from the chamber . The amount in CC's is recorded and compared against the rest . Metal is removed from chambers until the amount of CC's held by all is the same .

Piston heights are measured and made the same by Fly Cutting the piston crowns . Crank throws may need to be corrected also . There are many other details but you get the idea .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts