Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a coil cab ute with 4" super soft spring, tough dog big bore adjustables, adjustable panhards, superflex arms and longer lower rear trailing arms.

I am currently about to fit a steel bar and winch so was figuring front springs may be a little soft for this. Meaning I'm thinking of changing my springs.

I understand slightly stiffer springs in the rear will help the front flex better? Is this true? How would you get the rear to flex better?

What does raising the shock tower heights achieve? Ability to use longer shocks without them bottoming out? Would that mean extended bump stops too?

What other options are there?

I use the car for beach driving, rock crawling and touring so I guess I need to find a compromise somewhere?

Sorry for the hundred questions

Cheers

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Shocks lenghts normally limit your flex, so the longer your shocks to more flex you can have, but for these shocks to fit you might raise shock mounts or lower bumpstops.
Flex you car up with shocks and take some measurements, disconnect the shocks and flex it up again and take some measurements between the shock mounts and good 4x4 shop should be able to sell you correct lenght shocks you need.
Yes fitting HD rear springs will make you frontend flex more.

I am running HD rear springs with superflex arms, 50mm raised shock towers, 50mm lowered front bump stops and 75mm lowered rear bumpstops.

·
Registered
nissan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I will give it a go.

Maybe a stupid question but when I disconnect my shocks and take measurements how do I know when to stop it flexing? I guess just before the spring falls out?

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Maybe a stupid question but when I disconnect my shocks and take measurements how do I know when to stop it flexing? I guess just before the spring falls out?
Stop when the downtravel has stopped and starts lifting the tyre into air or off the ground.

e.g. there was no point going any higher here as the rear drivers tyre going to lift off the ground.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Flex is overrated.

YMMV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts