Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased a 2003 ST 4.2ltr ute. Its been serviced every 5k since new and is completly stock standard except for suspension. We will be towing a van around Australia indefinatly. I need advise on what to do to it to get maximum performance. Its done 91k's. :driving:

·
Registered
517 Posts
First question is how much do you want to spend?

Exhaust will let the turbo spin up a little earlier and give a little more power however from experience, you really need to do a little more if your towing.

stage 1. Up boost (03 onwards, factory is 9-10psi) go to 12-15psi, 3inch exhaust & dump, pump advance and fuel adjustment. I originally set mine @ 12psi, power went from 75rwkw to 98rwkw, torque from 325nm to 408nm

stage 2. Turbo upgrade to Garrett 2860 or 2871 (or alternate brand...your choice). I went with 2860 as I wanted low down torque with 16-18psi. Same as above, tune, exhaust upgrade etc... You should expect to get around 120-130rwkw and 500nm+

Additional mods would be a better cooler. I went with an ARE upgrade cooler & scoop (plug and play) which will keep temps in check when towing. Plenty of other options out their.

·
Registered
82 Posts
TD42 upgrade...

Hi mate,

I agree totally with zoom0001, but I have the same 3" dump pipe and exhaust and an adjustable boost controller. I run a Jimmybills hi flow billet airbox lid. I am about to fit up a turbo kit purchased from ASE Turbos in Adelaide which have all associated plumming, water & oil braided lines, fittings and a Garrett GT2876R turbo. It has had the 4" inlet running 0.70 comp cover replaced with a 3" inlet running a 0.60 comp cover and a 0.64 rear on it with dump pipe and adaptor plate included. That should comfortably give me around the 130kw and 500nm plus output to the rear tyres. Dave from ASE is working on a top mount intercooler replacement and bonnet scoop to fit up to our patrols with should rival the one from ARE but come in alot cheaper.
Hope this helps.

rgds Keith..

·
Registered
297 Posts
Agree with the other posts. As a minimum I'd be doing 3" mandrel bent exhaust with dump pipe (Approx $900-1200). Then fitting a boost controller and getting it tuned to 12-15psi ($400-600). That should see you much happier with the towing performance than stock although they are still far from a powerhouse. If you want to spend the money, fit a Garrett (2860 or similar) and you will not be disappointed.

·
Banned
616 Posts
Interested that no one mentioned an aftermarket chip and I have been told in the past, combined with all of the above, even a snorkel will contribute in a small way ( more air in, more air out ) ???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas, much appreciated. Going with all of zoom001 Stage 1, Stage 2 will come later when I can slip it past my co-driver. Nev was pretty spot on, $900 for exhaust including Pyro Port, not sure about tuning side etc. Expecting about $500 to $600 with gauges to fit. Thanks again.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks fellas, much appreciated. Going with all of zoom001 Stage 1, Stage 2 will come later when I can slip it past my co-driver. Nev was pretty spot on, $900 for exhaust including Pyro Port, not sure about tuning side etc. Expecting about $500 to $600 with gauges to fit. Thanks again.
If you can afford it, try & go as far as you can in one go. I've wasted a lot of money re-tuning everytime a change was made. Note: Any changes you make after a tune will not be fully realised. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts