Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Going to try and suss my rough idle and slight miss this weekend since we’re all in lockdown.
Going to have a crack at the valve adjustment. Ive never had to put an engine to TDC before, so just after advice on how to physically do this?
Ie how do I rotate the engine to line the marks up?
I know from other makes with different engines, the direction of rotation needs to be one direction only - does this apply?
What should I be turning to rotate the engine? Do I simply use a socket on the alternator pulley for example?
Any tips or pics appreciated. I can’t find this info anywhere.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,849 Posts
First tip : Remove spark plugs.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,849 Posts
Tip two: Put clean cloths “chucks type kitchen cloths” in the spark plug holes to keep the inevitable debris out.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,849 Posts
Should turn easily without the plugs, I used to just rotate using the belts, but a ratchet on the crankshaft would probably be preferable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome thanks. I want to check the plug gaps anyway so makes sense. I heard the rear plugs might be a pain to get to?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All done, was actually very easy.
used a socket on the alternator, turned without removing the plugs.
got all the rocker cover screws out easily, but last rear one was difficult to tighten again.
valves were Easy to adjust - but wow we’re they all over the place! Can’t believe I paid someone to do them only 4 months ago and they were nowhere near consistent. So much quieter now, set to 0.20 cold.

Running smoother now, but haven’t completely gotten rid of the slightly rough idle. I’ve left the battery disconnected to see if anECU reset does the trick. How long do I need to leave it?

While I was at it, gave the throttle butterfly a bit of a clean but my carby cleaner nozzle was all blocked so only used degreaser. Pulled the top off the idle air control valve and there was lots of carbon so I gave it a bit of a clean. Didn’t completely remove it (there are two parts?) because I didn’t have a new gasket and didn’t want to stuff the old one. Probably could do with stripping the whole throttle body and cleaning it thoroughly?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts