·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Red:

89 LWB Maverick, 31"s, set up as a tourer, TB42

Stumpy:

90 SWB GQ, 32" muddies, dobinson springs, 3" lift, TB42: dual fuel, 9000lb warn, ARB rack and bully

date stamps wrong as the camera zeroed to default date

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Installed the first gas strut:

toyota hi ace struts, they are already fitted with brackets so literally a bolt in job once you find spare (and solid) real estate in the engine bay.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its for a toyota hi-ace.

bought it through ebay.

I chose the hi-ace struts because they're designed for a heavy load and the fact that they already have hinges mounted on them, so no need to dick around with ball mounts etc....

$59 for both struts..

the second strut will be fitted on the weekend once I clear the wiring around the master cylinder...

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fitted an N13 Twin Cam steering wheel into Red..

SN150107.jpg

$13 wheel puller
$20 for the wheel

removed centre nut with a wheel brace (17mm)
tightened back on using long socket and a 1/2" bar for leverage

horn connections are the same...

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey mate do you have closer pics on how you have mounted the struts
I've taken it off since Trav suggested that it might exert too much pressure and warp the bonnet.

I'm currently trying to find 2 x smaller units that aren't exerting so much poundage.

the hi-ace strut was pretty impressive, it would pop the bonnet upon release and once uncatched would send it straight up.

when I had the hi-ace strut on I placed it against the strongest part of the firewall and then lined it up against the bonnet at full supported extension (ie with original support bar in place)

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tradesman rack fitted to the Mav

rack off a 96 Jeep Cherokee - unfort not a perfect fit as cherokees are smaller in width (by a fraction) - and the width between the front and rear-most bars on Mavs/Patrols is not "square"

the trademan racks are a full gutter skid, so not as flexible to line up, but better load bearing

·
Registered
nissan
246 Posts
Nice mods. I´m realy liking the struts to hold the hood. I´ll think i´ll steal this idea and put some struts under my hood ;)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,092 Posts
sweet projects ya got there mate. thought they need to get dirty mate! any wheeling pics?

1 - 20 of 277 Posts