Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Im actually back from a massive hiatus. With only random browsing.
Facebook is the death of forum’s. Which is ****. As the information there is dominated by 20yr olds with no bloody idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,158 Posts
What's happened to this place , it used to be pumping with people and info now it's a ghost town!
Yeah it's a shame, when you scare people off for various reasons (and then the new forum software on top of that) you can't really attract them back, so the only hope is keeping new members. Fingers crossed that works out.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah it's a shame, when you scare people off for various reasons (and then the new forum software on top of that) you can't really attract them back, so the only hope is keeping new members. Fingers crossed that works out.
Here and the Landrover(aulro) forum are the last forums I am on that are still active.

Both have a wealth of usable information that I find is crap to extract from anywhere else.
Just wish photobucket and forum photos hadn’t crapped themselves over the years.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,809 Posts
I hate say it, but I think it's relevance!!!

I've got 6 nephews from 18-25, and I've got two apprentices under 20. Obviously a heap of mates with kids also in this age group. Out of all of them I think maybe 2 are interested in patrols - but nearly all of them are interested in dual cabs and as illustrated prior - Facebook I've lost count of how many members have sold their Patrols for something new, hang around for a while then drop off. Then of course there was the forum upgrade we had to have!!! Hell even one of the guys that came with me on the CSR this year sold his patrol and bought an off road kombie

Times are a changing, you'll always get the old diehards that just won't bugger off until they kick the bucket and a few young guns keen on getting on board, but you'll never see the quantity of members we used to have when the Mighty Patrol was relevant to new car buyers. Cause let's face it the Y62 just doesn't have the sales volume of any of its competitors!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Without sounding like a wet blanket,

There is just so much info on here that most is a rehash.
Td’s have been and gone and not many people persist once snapping cranks.
Zd’s aren’t made any more and there’s more then enough info already on here for upgrades and trouble shooting, there was just a nice new turbo released to brighten the boys up a little.
Rb-tb42/45/48 never have anything wrong.lol
Two 62 fb groups took off early in the piece when we knew we were on a winner while the diesel/live axle brigade couldn’t get their head around them, the group on here never really took off.

Conversion fb groups have taken off, be it barra, ls, Cummings, Duramax etc. we can thank cheap as chips tb45’s and millions of zd’s to provide cheap donor cars.

In every fb group there is the people in the know to msg direct to save listening to 17 years..
I never bothered with gu groups, well lasted a day or two and bailed. The west oz gu td page is an absolute laughing stock of groupies...all the other gu td pages aren’t far behind.

Once I test my new smaller efr and rebuilt to and let people know how it goes I’ll be taking a break from the rsl as well.

There just really isn’t anything new that’s needs knowing.
Well the now semi laughable cooling thread is about the only one that gets a bit of life when people need to talk bs.

I just msg select people direct or call them if I need info.

Edit- also extremely appreciate the info over the years.
And yes I can be opinionated, need someone to stir the pot🤠
About to have baby no3 as well. So won’t have much time for foruming..

·
Registered
621 Posts
And yes I can be opinionated, need someone to stir the pot
That’s when I did my best 3am posting with fresh minions in the house.
Mostly during the middle of the night hallway rocking.
Daughter was much more appreciative of having a phone sitting on her while tapping away than son. Plus I had Netflix when son turned up. So often had headphones on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
649 Posts
Without sounding like a wet blanket,

There is just so much info on here that most is a rehash.
Td’s have been and gone and not many people persist once snapping cranks.
Zd’s aren’t made any more and there’s more then enough info already on here for upgrades and trouble shooting, there was just a nice new turbo released to brighten the boys up a little.
Rb-tb42/45/48 never have anything wrong.lol
Two 62 fb groups took off early in the piece when we knew we were on a winner while the diesel/live axle brigade couldn’t get their head around them, the group on here never really took off.

Conversion fb groups have taken off, be it barra, ls, Cummings, Duramax etc. we can thank cheap as chips tb45’s and millions of zd’s to provide cheap donor cars.

In every fb group there is the people in the know to msg direct to save listening to 17 years..
I never bothered with gu groups, well lasted a day or two and bailed. The west oz gu td page is an absolute laughing stock of groupies...all the other gu td pages aren’t far behind.

Once I test my new smaller efr and rebuilt to and let people know how it goes I’ll be taking a break from the rsl as well.

There just really isn’t anything new that’s needs knowing.
Well the now semi laughable cooling thread is about the only one that gets a bit of life when people need to talk bs.

I just msg select people direct or call them if I need info.

And yes I can be opinionated, need someone to stir the pot🤠
On a couple of the ZD Faceache pages and TBH I'd rather look here for the info. Seems the facey mob are more concerned with pigeons.

·
Premium Member
24,774 Posts
On a couple of the ZD Faceache pages and TBH I'd rather look here for the info. Seems the facey mob are more concerned with pigeons.
The kids are interested in pigeons. That demographic aren't into forums either. Most other members are after reliable info which certainly can't be found on most fb sites. Hence me starting my own...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,158 Posts
Yeah I was going to do a thread in the conversion section, the step by step definitive guide to converting a patrol from ZD30 to a TD42, since it’s the most common conversion that gets done. A culmination of what I’ve learnt from doing my own, and sifting through countless threads on it, all centralized in one thread and basically a collection of info from dozens of people here. I have dozens and dozens of photos, a parts list for the whole job, part numbers of all the parts you’ll need and prices you would expect to pay, exact length and thread sizes for every last nut and bolt etc etc but I don’t think it’s worth the trouble. I realized this the other day when a bloke was complaining there was no guides on the intergooglefaceweb to shimming his patrol LSD. I knew there was, I wrote one up with heaps of pics a couple of years ago, but it took a fair bit of carefully worded searching to find it for him. Then I thought about it, I’ve also written very time consuming threads on rebuilding winches, chopping patrols in to dual cabs, electrical wiring, reverse/work light wiring, fixing leaking/oil spitting air lockers, rebuilding brake calipers, and whatever else, but you’d never know as this sort of stuff is too hard to find. As far as I know only one or two of them are in the archives, that’s if archive links even still work with the new software, but as far as I can tell no one actually uses the archives anyway. But we have stickies for links to ARBs website for air locker parts lists, geez you’d never find that on google, very handy lol

Then there’s the fact that, with this new abortion of forum software, if I zoom in on a relevant part of a pic and screen shot it, I can’t upload that pic because it says ‘file too large’, even though it’s now lower res haha! Not to mention sometimes pics take minutes to load. Or if I did it through tapatalk (far more efficient) then there’s a risk of the pics disappearing altogether, like what happened in the electrical 101 thread.

Having said all that, if I spent hours and hours doing a conversion thread, is there anyone left here to read it? All you hear is crickets most days lol

The OP is right, it’s a ghost town compared to a couple of years ago, why spend hours on something no one will read?

As for younger folk using FB, they don’t know any different I guess, forums are for ‘old farts’ I guess? How many users here under 30? Even 40? Especially if you discount the one hit wonders, ask one question and clear off.

Still, it would be nice to think all the info on here (unparalleled) would be retained for future googlers as patrols are bought by the next generation of 4wders...so hopefully the last one to leave, leaves the light on haha!

·
Registered
nissan
3,784 Posts
You're having one of those moments aren't you Lee. Time for a Turkey.
I would read it, I read all these how to's you do even if I thought I knew how to do it already. Or dont need to know the exact topic because you never know what little snipet you pick up mid topic.
I'm really kicking myself I didnt copy and paste all those threads and more importantly pictures you posted BC (before c o c k u p) when they were still available. I was going to but thought nah too much work and where would they go 😭

·
Registered
nissan
5,939 Posts
Having said all that, if I spent hours and hours doing a conversion thread, is there anyone left here to read it? All you hear is crickets most days lol
I'm not sure if the number of postings is much of a guide on overall forum traffic. The title page of the old forum would show you how many people were currently viewing each forum section and those numbers were often in the hundreds for the popular technical sections with only about 10% of them being registered members. It seemed pretty clear to me that most forum traffic was from randoms who weren't interested in participating in a forum but were just after info on modding or fixing problems with their Patrol.

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
876 Posts
I'm not sure if the number of postings is much of a guide on overall forum traffic. The title page of the old forum would show you how many people were currently viewing each forum section and those numbers were often in the hundreds for the popular technical sections with only about 10% of them being registered members. It seemed pretty clear to me that most forum traffic was from randoms who weren't interested in participating in a forum but were just after info on modding or fixing problems with their Patrol.
Correct. I was one of those randoms for a long time before I decided to join up and participate.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
665 Posts
Correct. I was one of those randoms for a long time before I decided to join up and participate.
Hmm, me too.

So it’s not just me then, I’ve been recently thinking that things have gotten pretty quiet around here and some very valid points have been made above, but personally I’ve lost interest due to the new format. Too hard to use and too hard to find stuff. It’s a real shame, I much preferred the old setup.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
How about we be more specific. There appears to be less comment and input from regular posters.
It appears quite a few have lost interest.
From my perspective the forum is less interesting without their new input.
Comment from regulars enriches the experience as you feel you know them a bit over time and build a bit more of a profile with each post.
At the heart of it we are social creatures, pack animals if you will.
The forum is more than just a repository of information, it is a collection of personalities.
Hopefully they will return as the new platform improves.

·
Registered
nissan
5,939 Posts
There appears to be less comment and input from regular posters.
It appears quite a few have lost interest.
Absolutely correct. Let's hope that things improve however they were already going downhill before the software change, probably because the current generation of Patrols are not as popular in the market place as the earlier ones and there are just less Patrol owners.

The point I was making to Leethal was that just because few people are posting does not mean that few people are viewing or that few people appreciate the information provided and the effort behind it.

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,158 Posts
I think it stands to reason that if there’s a significant drop in people posting, surely there’s a corresponding drop in people reading? A similar percentage anyway. Look at trips area as one example, I used to lap that up, drooling over other people’s holidays and adding to my list of required places to visit. Now, if you skip it for a month, you could often count on one hand the number of new posts. If there’s less new stuff to read, stands to reason folks won’t be around long once they’ve read whatever new content there is, unless they’ve searched for a particular problem and hopefully found an answer.

I see what you’re saying OB and to a large extent I agree with you, but I can assure you effort is not appreciated on all fronts, and without a doubt no good deed goes unpunished hehe 😎

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
649 Posts
Yeah I was going to do a thread in the conversion section, the step by step definitive guide to converting a patrol from ZD30 to a TD42, since it’s the most common conversion that gets done. A culmination of what I’ve learnt from doing my own, and sifting through countless threads on it, all centralized in one thread and basically a collection of info from dozens of people here. I have dozens and dozens of photos, a parts list for the whole job, part numbers of all the parts you’ll need and prices you would expect to pay, exact length and thread sizes for every last nut and bolt etc etc but I don’t think it’s worth the trouble. I realized this the other day when a bloke was complaining there was no guides on the intergooglefaceweb to shimming his patrol LSD. I knew there was, I wrote one up with heaps of pics a couple of years ago, but it took a fair bit of carefully worded searching to find it for him. Then I thought about it, I’ve also written very time consuming threads on rebuilding winches, chopping patrols in to dual cabs, electrical wiring, reverse/work light wiring, fixing leaking/oil spitting air lockers, rebuilding brake calipers, and whatever else, but you’d never know as this sort of stuff is too hard to find. As far as I know only one or two of them are in the archives, that’s if archive links even still work with the new software, but as far as I can tell no one actually uses the archives anyway. But we have stickies for links to ARBs website for air locker parts lists, geez you’d never find that on google, very handy lol

Then there’s the fact that, with this new abortion of forum software, if I zoom in on a relevant part of a pic and screen shot it, I can’t upload that pic because it says ‘file too large’, even though it’s now lower res haha! Not to mention sometimes pics take minutes to load. Or if I did it through tapatalk (far more efficient) then there’s a risk of the pics disappearing altogether, like what happened in the electrical 101 thread.

The OP is right, it’s a ghost town compared to a couple of years ago, why spend hours on something no one will read?

As for younger folk using FB, they don’t know any different I guess, forums are for ‘old farts’ I guess? How many users here under 30? Even 40? Especially if you discount the one hit wonders, ask one question and clear off.

Still, it would be nice to think all the info on here (unparalleled) would be retained for future googlers as patrols are bought by the next generation of 4wders...so hopefully the last one to leave, leaves the light on haha!
Those electrical section writeups were awesome mate and appreciate the help you gave some months back. Definitely showed some of us what was possible with enough pride of work and attention to detail and motivated me to have a go at making some stuff (safely and with tons of headroom on the circuits).

The Suzuki forum went this way a few years back, it changed hands and eventually died in the arse. All the great tech is still there apart from pics in some threads, but no one really participates much anymore because apart from the fact there's not many left, the best formula for a Sierra has been come up with (guard chop, 31-33s, lockers and 6.5 transfer gearing) so the only real draw card was the chat section.

Way more people here. I believe there's a lot more content potential here because you can build a Patrol in a lot of ways... not just as an offroad pig. I did the Rig of the Month thing over there. Initially it was fun but eventually it became a PITA because people got ****ty about orders of photos (even when I had to download them all and then re-host them personally) One guy even didnt want to pick the next month's,, or they didnt reply. Hence I picked a few myself.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts