Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,245 Posts
I think it stands to reason that if there’s a significant drop in people posting, surely there’s a corresponding drop in people reading? A similar percentage anyway. Look at trips area as one example, I used to lap that up, drooling over other people’s holidays and adding to my list of required places to visit. Now, if you skip it for a month, you could often count on one hand the number of new posts. If there’s less new stuff to read, stands to reason folks won’t be around long once they’ve read whatever new content there is, unless they’ve searched for a particular problem and hopefully found an answer.

I see what you’re saying OB and to a large extent I agree with you, but I can assure you effort is not appreciated on all fronts, and without a doubt no good deed goes unpunished hehe 😎
Not necessarily, they might be lurkers who are searching.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,419 Posts
Sierras are a dark art Marko, I admire anyone who can build them into weapons. Shame there’s not many around these days, would be a great toy I’d imagine!

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Sierras are a dark art Marko, I admire anyone who can build them into weapons. Shame there’s not many around these days, would be a great toy I’d imagine!
I have always wanted a LWB Sierra. But not many around that arnt rust buckets. Or they they want stupid money. And I’m not paying 10g for something that struggles to do the speed limit.

The problem with forums and posts. Are probably the fact there are more shops around willing to give half arsed advise. 20yrs ago we needed tech to do a 3” lift and fit 35’s.
Now you can buy that 3” lift from eBay (even if it will be totally cheap ****). And the information is easy to find on what needs trimming.

As for the older guys. Or more knowledgeable guys. Some get tired of the same question and giving the same answer.
I know on outerlimits I used to do a quick search and just post the good threads with the answer.
So atleast each new thread had a link to good tech.

As for myself. I went into lurking or dormant mode as I didn’t have a 4wd for awhile. Then had a Disco.

And now I don’t do all the hard off-road or go to every Comp like I used to with my old junk.

Thought I better post a pic from when I was cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
nissan
6,963 Posts
I think it stands to reason that if there’s a significant drop in people posting, surely there’s a corresponding drop in people reading?
This is true but only up to a point.
If there’s less new stuff to read, stands to reason folks won’t be around long once they’ve read whatever new content there is, unless they’ve searched for a particular problem and hopefully found an answer.
Most of the people that visit this site never hang around until they do another google search about a particular issue they have and P4x4 ends up top of the list again. I can remember someone asking me for info about Cape York some time back and I searched for some old posts I'd done years ago that I knew contained all the needed info. On the old forum there was some fine print off to the side that told you how many times a post had been viewed and I was interested to see that the posts in that thread had been viewed many thousands of times in the years since they had been made but no new posts had been added to the thread since about 12 months after it had started. Once a post is made it is there for ever and as it comes up in more people's searches and they click on it, it then comes up more often and gets clicked more often. Maybe things on P4x4 don't get so popular they become viral but it certainly pops up pretty often when you do a google search for help with a Nissan Patrol. Indeed your thread on "How to chop your patrol into a dual cab step by step" is the very first result in a google search on the subject. I guess my point is that just because most people don't respond doesn't mean you haven't helped them greatly.

·
Registered
nissan
2,015 Posts
One thing that turned me off the new platform is I can't find a way to change the number of posts on a page., which means I often have to keep loading pages which is a pain. Mind you there may well be a way. It took me months to figure out how I can see all the new posts since I last visited, which is what actually stopped me coming here every day as that was what I used to look at every time I checked in.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
How about we be more specific. There appears to be less comment and input from regular posters.
It appears quite a few have lost interest.
From my perspective the forum is less interesting without their new input.
Comment from regulars enriches the experience as you feel you know them a bit over time and build a bit more of a profile with each post.
At the heart of it we are social creatures, pack animals if you will.
The forum is more than just a repository of information, it is a collection of personalities.
Hopefully they will return as the new platform improves.
I’ve had to stop saying how good the 62 is... gu owners get hurt a little more each time 😙

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I’ve had to stop saying how good the 62 is... gu owners get hurt a little more each time
I don’t get hurt. I’m just jealous as I drive around in my under powered slow GU.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Got to say I am a little disappointed. I came here to learn from you guys being a mech novice.

I ran forums for my footy team for years. We even got status on NewsNow!
However a forum is a prickly pear. Say something wrong and it struggles. Changes don't help, clicks form ect.

I've learned a bunch, love my old bus and wish to keep it for some years to come hopefully (Rd28-1997).

So come on peeps.
Best

What's happened to this place , it used to be pumping with people and info now it's a ghost town!

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Got to say I am a little disappointed. I came here to learn from you guys being a mech novice.

I ran forums for my footy team for years. We even got status on NewsNow!
However a forum is a prickly pear. Say something wrong and it struggles. Changes don't help, clicks form ect.

I've learned a bunch, love my old bus and wish to keep it for some years to come hopefully (Rd28-1997).

So come on peeps.
Best
Yeah the rsl doesn’t like people to go against the grain.
Do you take the blue pill or the red pill 🤣

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,086 Posts
I have seen a quite active motorcycle forum go the same way. And it causes the same problems - FB pages see the same stuff asked over and over, without a good archive of information. Just today I saw a question from an owner on stuff that is easy to find on a forum, and a topic I have written pages and pages of stuff on. Happens every day, and I cannot keep answering the same stuff continuously, especially on complicated topics.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I’ve had to stop saying how good the 62 is... gu owners get hurt a little more each time 😙
Don't you ever get tired of being right simcoe. o_O

I totally disregard you as a nuffie in that respect
Computerised petty v8 in the middle of bf nowhere. No thanks
There is probably just as many computerised petrols running around our back paddocks as there are diesels and in reality how many do you actually see being flat bedded back home. If you are going to view it that way you may as well tar just about everything other than a TD42 with that same reliability brush these days. Have to say all the years I was 4wd club president around here, we would have had more petrols in our club and on trips that diesels and never had to rescue one. And I doubt a Y62 is any worse or better in computer terms than a current Amarok/Ranger/200 series etc etc. If my modern diesel ownership has taught me anything, it's that I feel modern electronic diesels are less confidence inspiring than petrols.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
There is probably just as many computerised petrols running around our back paddocks as there are diesels and in reality how many do you actually see being flat bedded back home. If you are going to view it that way you may as well tar just about everything other than a TD42 with that same reliability brush these days. Have to say all the years I was 4wd club president around here, we would have had more petrols in our club and on trips that diesels and never had to rescue one. And I doubt a Y62 is any worse or better in computer terms than a current Amarok/Ranger/200 series etc etc. If my modern diesel ownership has taught me anything, it's that I feel modern electronic diesels are less confidence inspiring than petrols.

Well no there are not as many petrol 4wds as diesels ime.
Evidence the woeful sales figures of the 62 vs the 200.
Does that make sense? Maybe not but that is the case.
The vast majority of the plethora of various twincabs are diesel.
With respect to computerised electronic control, sure they are all going that way.
I'm not.
I don't turn my 4wd over every few years.
I have no confidence an electronically controlled vehicle is going to be;
A. Reliable 15 or 20 years down the track, which concerns me in remote areas.
B. Fixable by me with my understanding of electronics.
I'll happily pass thanks.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
When I first met a mate who lives in Brokenhill 15yrs ago.
He was say then that it was about 50/50 petrols diesel. Including landcruiser utes.
And the only reason for the change to diesel is because there is only one petrol Ute currently available. And that’s the ram.

For me if I could afford a 62 that’s what I would have. But overseas there’s most of the popular 4wd still have a petrol option. And they aren’t the petrol drinkers they used to be in the 90’s.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,983 Posts
I totally disregard you as a nuffie in that respect
Computerised petty v8 in the middle of bf nowhere. No thanks
Come on Warty, on the CSR I saw ............. oh that's right none Plenty of GQs and GUs though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,072 Posts
Yeah it's a shame, when you scare people off for various reasons.
That's a couple of threads now that you've made similar comments in. Can you elaborate a bit on what is scaring people off?
Guess I've missed something

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,983 Posts
That's a couple of threads now that you've made similar comments in. Can you elaborate a bit on what is scaring people off?
Guess I've missed something

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Geez Guey, I though you where one of the ones that had been scared off Good to see you still hanging around, thought we may have lost you to the gay dual cab forum Or have you got your arse back in a Pootrol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Marko_SJ
21 - 40 of 132 Posts