Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Not many diesel dirt bikes or zuks on the stations I have been to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,681 Posts
Because of that petrol is everywhere.

I agree that the bulk of fuel used in the outback is diesel but that doesn't mean it is any more available than petrol is.
It is part of the explanation as to why people who live in those areas don't generally use petrol vehicles.
Some of that rubs off on the market as a whole imo. Some of those interested in travelling those areas look at what works for those living there at least in part.
Diesel is easy to store and it is required to run all of the heavy equipment.
You can guarantee every remote area property will have diesel, you cannot say the same for petrol. If you are stuck and need to beg or borrow from a station you could be plumb out of luck for petrol, they will have diesel however
Diesel is not going away soon out there and petrol is not taking over.
The narrative that diesel is dead is bunkum. It will be the dominant fuel in remote regions for years to come.

·
Registered
nissan
6,164 Posts
The narrative that diesel is dead is bunkum.
I recon it's dead in normal passenger cars, or at least dying and that is due to the limitations that are required for emissions compliance. Transport and heavy equipment will continue to run on diesel for the foreseeable future but they don't have to comply with the same Euro 6 regs that cars do.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,681 Posts
I recon it's dead in normal passenger cars, or at least dying and that is due to the limitations that are required for emissions compliance. Transport and heavy equipment will continue to run on diesel for the foreseeable future but they don't have to comply with the same Euro 6 regs that cars do.

Good thing the td has no electonics.
Yes I agree, I am in no rush to buy a bt50 either.
Cop that Yeti

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
21,854 Posts
Trucks are currently Euro5.

Foo

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,252 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Patrol Y61 DX EX Telstra service body
66 Posts
I retired 2 1/2 years ago, after 22 yrs in a service station in the time I read in industry magazines that china built 5 new refineries on their back border with Russia. All producing diesel only. South Korea was building a new refinery and before it was in full production in was producing more fuel than all of the refineries in Australia put together, that also was the majority produced was diesel. New York uses more Diesel in 1 month than the whole of Australia uses in 1 year . I was getting 3 loads of fuel a week almost 2 were diesel, this was in the mid north of SA. Most rural properties only kept small amounts of petrol for bike & stationary motors. A rep from LPG company told me they predicted servos to be out a retailing LPG within 10 years, Taxis' were already going to hybrids and then electric would take over. It will be interesting to see were the future goes.Petrol Vs Diesel I drive diesel because I purchase my fuel in bulk and it is much safer than petrol to store above ground thats the only reason :)

·
Registered
nissan
6,164 Posts
New York uses more Diesel in 1 month than the whole of Australia uses in 1 year .
That is hard to understand. The population of New York State is a little less than Australia and their distances are are a lot less. It's hard to believe they would use more than 10 times the amount we would. Should that have been "produces" instead of "uses" because Australia's fuel production is only a shadow of what it once was? In the last decade it's my understanding that due to Australian refinery closures (Clyde, Kurnell, Port Stanvac, Bulwer Island, Matraville) and increases in demand, we can no longer produce enough fuel for our needs even if we had the raw resources.

Military strategists say we should have 90 days of fuel reserves in the country with 60 days as a bare minimum. Instead we have 19 but t hat is a topic for another thread.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,918 Posts
Hmmmm! Multiple participants, variety of subject matter, 92 posts. Overall 347 Guests viewing the forum right now, not bad for a 'Ghost Town' lol.

·
Registered
2013 Patrol Y61 DX EX Telstra service body
66 Posts
That is hard to understand. The population of New York State is a little less than Australia and their distances are are a lot less. It's hard to believe they would use more than 10 times the amount we would. Should that have been "produces" instead of "uses" because Australia's fuel production is only a shadow of what it once was? In the last decade it's my understanding that due to Australian refinery closures (Clyde, Kurnell, Port Stanvac, Bulwer Island, Matraville) and increases in demand, we can no longer produce enough fuel for our needs even if we had the raw resources.

Military strategists say we should have 90 days of fuel reserves in the country with 60 days as a bare minimum. Instead we have 19 but t hat is a topic for another thread.
Think central heating I've never been there and doubt I ever will but how many people live there ? My daughter in law is Russian when it's cold the central heating in the town her family live in is started up and doesn't stop until the cold is over, does the whole town don't know about the yanks but presume it's similar, they run on diesel & kero = heating oil
I was telling the story to a fertiliser rep once & he told me there is 1 company in China buys more fertiliser a year than the whole of Australia. The rest of the world doesn't even know we're here IMO. showed the article to lots of people until the magazine was no longer presentable (dog eared) have read many interesting articles in trade magazines but have never seen them reprinted in mainstream papers.

·
Registered
nissan
6,164 Posts
Think central heating
The US is just like Australia and reverse cycle aircon has largely replaced fuel oil heaters due to their reduction in energy costs. This is especially the case in New York State where more electricity is generated by hydro power than any other state east of the Rocky Mountains. These days about 1/4 of New York homes are heated by petroleum products, mainly in older buildings, but in the past more than half of homes were heated by petroleum.
how many people live there ?
New York City has about 8mil. The greater New York metropolitan area including Long Island, parts of New Jersey and Conneticut has about 22mil while all of New York State has 19mil. Australia has 25mil. New York State's longest measurement is just over 500km while Australia's is just over 4000km.

I have no doubt that New York uses more diesel in heating than Australia does but Australia would have to use several times more than New York for transport, both by truck and train. It wouldn't surprise me at all that New York uses more diesel overall than Australia does but more in a month than we do in a year? Doesn't seem plausible.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,918 Posts
387 guests and 19 members on line this second, picked up 12 new members in the last 19 hours, 25 threads responded to in the last 15 hours. Not bad for a Ghost Town lol.

·
Registered
nissan
6,164 Posts
387 guests and 19 members on line this second
This info used to be on the front page of the old forum available to all but I don't see it now? I think we could also see what members were currently online. I always found it interesting that only 5 - 10% of current traffic was registered members and the balance were guests. Most of the posting activity from members was in the general section while most of the viewing by guests was in the technical sections, no doubt people following google searches on how to fix their Patrol. It would be interesting to be able to view this info occasionally.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I pointed out that remote Australia runs on diesel.
It will continue to whilst diesel powers agricultural, industrial and transport equipment, which it will for the foreseeable future.
It has storage advantages and greater energy density when compared to petrol.
At least part of the reason the 62 has sold so poorly here.

Oh it is only the series 2 and on that doesn't drink like a fish now?
Listening to you talk I thought they all had the fuel economy of a prius and the performance of a ferrari from day dot
I mean they like to rev and revs are so compatible with fuel economy. Remember that tow test where it sat at 5500 rpm in order to get going?
Despite the energy content of diesel which is 15% higher than petrol for the same volume the 62 is miserly whatever you do with it, tow, load it up or race Bathurst.
Must be an energy polariser in there or something?
Don’t you go all tangent on me...
my s1 gets better eco than the td on the hw and same towing.
S2+ get travelling figures td boys can only dream of and still pull up hills at what ever speed ya choose towing what ever 😙
And ac won’t cut out like yours and over heat either👌

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
One wonders why anyone would put themselves through such termoil and torture putting up with bowling club diesel freaks in a dying forum :).
Lol
Turmoil, you rsl old dudes are hilarious. Never wrong, diesel and live axles😂😂

I’m surprised you all have adopted coil springs. Leafs were the bees knees 100 years ago 👌

81 - 100 of 132 Posts