Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Long time lurker, First time poster hehe.

Just wanted to jump in and mention my thoughts re: Social Groups in 2019; they are felt not just by 4x4 clubs, but other technical/social clubs/friends/hobbyists.
But everyone's points are so spot on, I didn't quite think a site as large as this would have the same issues as other clubs...

A large social group I've been involved in for 10 years has been established for about 30 years. It's seen many changes (Originally a mailed publication if you knew how to signup....) and has several hundred members. It too used a forum for the longest time, full of history, write-ups, **** talking and most of all... people. However slowly people adapt to communicating differently, especially the younger generations to newer and newer Apps/Services. The content is no longer curated/moderated, it's free for someone to go and make their own group, add people to it and discuss whatever they need, inviting people organically as new people leave/join depending on what is discussed or how frequently. Unfortunately, this means alot of the story telling or journey can be lost, as chat is always in real time. It does however allow much better searching, but you have to know what you are looking for. "Browsing" old chat logs doesn't feel very Human-like or have the same effect as reading forums.

I love forums, always have since I was a small lad, I used them for modding the earliest video-games with people internationally and hacking modem's hardware ;)
These days, admittedly I rarely read them unless I'm trying to solve a specific problem, but it's nice to know that some are kept up to date (Both people & the admin's keeping up with the tech)
They're bloody brilliant at 3am when you find your problem you've been searching for hours...., or some other poor bastard that happened to come across the same set of problems you did. Even more fantastic when they've posted a easy fix with a cheap tool and a clear video instructions.... (i can dream).

Anywho, my patrol's back on the road tomorrow and I've got a bunch of work to finnnnnnaly get around to pull the trigger on... and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here (past&present), you've been very helpful :)
Almost makes me miss those many years on the Toyota Surf Forums.... I'll miss those guys, but I know why the ones that bought Patrol's never came back hehe :)

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,307 Posts
Lol
Turmoil, you rsl old dudes are hilarious. Never wrong, diesel and live axles😂😂

I’m surprised you all have adopted coil springs. Leafs were the bees knees 100 years ago 👌
No one is forcing you to put up with rsl types, last time it was bowling club guys, you sound a little confused, might be petrol fumes.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
No one is forcing you to put up with rsl types, last time it was bowling club guys, you sound a little confused, might be petrol fumes.
Prado owner at the servo last night must have been sick of stinky diesel. As they tried to run it on unleaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,307 Posts
Borrowing a line from Mark Twain "Reports of our death are greatly exaggerated" ;)

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
I certainly would read it and I'd I'd offer numerous cold beverages to author of said piece. Just about to undertake the transplant and all i have is a box of tools and a big hammer. Well, not quite that under done but the piece you speak of writing would be absolute gold to myself and I'm sure many others as well .

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,897 Posts
Prado owner at the servo last night must have been sick of stinky diesel. As they tried to run it on unleaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 Would have heaps of get up n go, for 15mins. :eek:

Foo

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,307 Posts
So, hows's the Ghost Town going????? I wrote somewhere else that I went over to My Patrol this morning for a look, I quite often do go around various forums to see what is happening, people reckon this is a ghost town, hold the phone! Threads on first page that haven't had a post in weeks or even months, the section equal to our Members Rides hasn't had a post since Oct 2018, there were 0 members and 23 guests, much different to ours in all ways and we only had 18 members on line and 319 guests when I checked both early this morning, at the same time.

Now looking back I reckon this place is just so much better to navigate than it was under vBulletin, sure takes time to get used to the change as was brought up in a conversation with Verticalscope, most of us hate change, change for change sake is WOFTAM, we all know this could have been handled better and Verticalscope recognises that, that is what we should take as a win. They have a very large stable of Forums of various types from video gamers to fishing to whatever you can think of (maybe even Parrots lol) that they are yet to convert and there are some big ones in there.

As said earlier, "reports of our death are greatly exagerated" ;).

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
921 Posts
Yes I reckon things are looking up. The "new" button is great.
Actually from a user point of view, the new format was quite manageable from the start, it's just getting much better as features are added.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,885 Posts
No one is forcing you to put up with rsl types, last time it was bowling club guys, you sound a little confused, might be burning rubber fumes.

Fixed.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,307 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
6,885 Posts
Ah yes, from the over heating engine, forgot about that, melting radiator hoses can give off nasty fumes.
Pfffttt.

Power you could only dream of. Pfft. I'd have a Y62 in a heart beat if I could afford it.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,307 Posts
Pfffttt.

Power you could only dream of. Pfft. I'd have a Y62 in a heart beat if I could afford it.
Oh I get it power is everything, damn I had forgotten about that from my boy racer days ;).

But anyway back to Ghost Town, what do you reckon?

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
19,386 Posts
The site is still a ghost town compared to what it once was.

But i'm sure you will correct me and tell me how i am wrong.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,307 Posts
The site is still a ghost town compared to what it once was.

But i'm sure you will correct me and tell me how i am wrong.
Mate if you had been taking any notice over the years, all forums have had big hits over those years, they are dying and we are no different, this is a well known fact and also one recognised by our owners, we probably never will return to the hay day but with so much work being put in by the people in the background it would be a crying shame to give up now, won't bore you with the hours of conversations that have taken place but many are as glass half full as I am at the prospects we have for the future.

I drove down to Eagle farm today and had a chat to Peter, we talk often on the phone, Peter is also a glass half full person and like me he is of the opinion we are turning a corner. I'm now involved with a group of world wide forum administrators and verticalscope developers, have been for around 2 weeks, it also includes the CEO of verticalscope who has a soft spot for forums as well as owning so many your mind would boggle, so it is in his best interests to work towards making this happen.

I won't hold you up anymore ;)..

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,338 Posts
As siad above, the old patrol is no longer a new thing.
And new dual cab utes are the rage.
Thankfully teaching my boy well that patrols are still awesome

Hes still set on a shorty gq patrol.
Now just to make that last for another5 to 10 years when he can get his own.

Maybe the mighty gq will get same following the old 40 series cruizers do.
But for now it seems young guys want them to thrash.

Few young guys learn to love them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
19,386 Posts
Mate if you had been taking any notice over the years, all forums have had big hits over those years, they are dying and we are no different, this is a well known fact and also one recognised by our owners, we probably never will return to the hay day but with so much work being put in by the people in the background it would be a crying shame to give up now, won't bore you with the hours of conversations that have taken place but many are as glass half full as I am at the prospects we have for the future.

I drove down to Eagle farm today and had a chat to Peter, we talk often on the phone, Peter is also a glass half full person and like me he is of the opinion we are turning a corner. I'm now involved with a group of world wide forum administrators and verticalscope developers, have been for around 2 weeks, it also includes the CEO of verticalscope who has a soft spot for forums as well as owning so many your mind would boggle, so it is in his best interests to work towards making this happen.

I won't hold you up anymore ;)..
Cliff notes?

101 - 120 of 132 Posts