Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just recently my 91 has started making this hard to explain noise. It happens maybe once a month or so as I drive it to and from work the gym etc maybe 25km daily. Rarley does it happen at highway speed and almost always in a stop and go situation. When it does happen it would be ongoing for the next few stops.
When down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and sometimes 1st weather the cluch is in or out it begins with a whirr, almost like a bearing or worm gear type sound.Then finishes with a clunck/bang, bang, bang, then all is fine I can drive away with no issues. Sometimes it will happen the next few times I stop and others it will be fine for weeks.

Hopefully you get some sort of idea from my description.

Transmission?
Hubs?

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
It is kind of hard to say without hearing it myself. If you get from Cow Town to Abbotsford, feel free to come by.

Usually most people complain of a banging noise when stopping or turning. This could be caused by worn bushings or even the firewall crack issue (mainly on the pre-91 models).

If you have auto hubs, I would check them first. Unscrew the hex bolts and inspect the hub for broken metal fragments, broken clutch spacers, or just being over packed with grease. I know that when i was prepping my wife's Safari that I found both auto hubs had been engaging and disengaging on their own. It is a well known problem with pre-1992 Y60s that were using regular gear oil in the t-case. I replaced her hubs with manual ones I bought in the US. I also filled her t-case with ATF when I dropped all the fluids. On my 5 spd, the auto hubs were okay. However, when I dropped the fluids, I put Redline MTL (a GL4 synthetic oil) in both the Tranny and T-case. Its not cheap but really made a difference in shifting. I fear that what was in it was a regular GL5 gear oil which is not good for the synchros.

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
I had something like that. Turned out to be water in my differential.

Luckily, an oil change made it go away.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Hmmmmmm, exhaust banging, uni gone.

I can't imagine it is the front prop shaft turning. Hubs are suspicious. Does this happen more the colder it is? Can you feel it?.

Mrowka, water in the front diff? get that out.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Been pondering,
stop and go/downshifting do not mix...please elab.
clutch in or out can't be clutch or tranny.
do your hubs turn freely with the wrench, can you feel the detents for auto and lock?

·
Registered
nissan
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been suspicious of the hubs, because of the clutch in or out situation. Stop and go as in when down shifting and coming to a stop it happens when shifting through 3rd then to second on some times 1st. However I can just be coating to a stop and not in gear and have it happen. This seams odd but it seams more apparent when there is a temp change and uaually when it is colder. The drivers side hubs turn freely with the wrench and I can feel the detents, the passenger side is stiff to turn for sure and is of concern. I can defenatly hear and feel and do get a defenate jaring from the front (I think)...

Exhaust is tight.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
Like I said before, you need to visually inspect the hubs. Just unbolt the hex bolts and take off the cover. It is relatively simple.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
You guys start looking after your safaris or I'll take them away....
Ya, the other one was up on jack stands the afternoon too. Got pulled over last night for tail light out and got a Notice & Order for the tail light out and 3 days to present it fixed. A pain but better than a VI. It wasn't the light or the bulb holder. Somewhere between the LH side and the RH side there was a break in the wire. I suspected the JDM trailer wiring tap and took the RH side wheel off for a better look. Two wheel studs were over torqued and the threads pealed off. I had to quickly cannibalize two studs from the 5spd and pull off the caliper and rotor on the auto. Hope the studs are a standard size because the rear calipers for the 5 spd are now rebuilt and ready to install.

Speaking of funny noises, I am now hearing them on the wife's auto. She and the kids ay it sounds the same. Guess I am hearing things.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Speaking of funny noises, I am now hearing them on the wife's auto. She and the kids ay it sounds the same. Guess I am hearing things.
Ok funny man, care to explain the funny noises? Do you hear voices?:crazy:

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
Ok funny man, care to explain the funny noises? Do you hear voices?:crazy:
Yep, always screaming "slow down!" or "too close!". ;) My wife has to be one of the most cautious co-pilots with no sense of distance. The other noises have disappeared now my right is is unplugged. For some weird reason it was amplifying the low vibration sounds of the engine.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
Nope, ...left speaker in our vehicles. Funny, that was the ear that also got plugged for two weeks. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just recently my 91 has started making this hard to explain noise. It happens maybe once a month or so as I drive it to and from work the gym etc maybe 25km daily. Rarley does it happen at highway speed and almost always in a stop and go situation. When it does happen it would be ongoing for the next few stops.
When down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and sometimes 1st weather the cluch is in or out it begins with a whirr, almost like a bearing or worm gear type sound.Then finishes with a clunck/bang, bang, bang, then all is fine I can drive away with no issues. Sometimes it will happen the next few times I stop and others it will be fine for weeks.

Hopefully you get some sort of idea from my description.

Transmission?
Hubs?
I Have the exact same thing!!! (I think you explained the noise perfectly :wink:) For me it only happens when the engine is cold (when first driven on a cold morning) and it only happens once. Pull away from my house, and the Whirr begins, and continues even while shifting up (1st, 2nd, 3rd). I only drive to the stop sign at the end of the street (200 yds) and when I am almost completely at a stop, Bang bang! Once again it doesn't matter if the clutch is in or out. As I said it only happens once and then I am golden.

I have a hard time believing its the hubs (not saying its not), because the actual bang is quite violent; shakes the whole truck. And it happens in 2WD or 4WD so it would seem odd that it would be the hubs.
The transmission is suspicious but, not having the clutch engaged would generally mean its not the issue.
The only thing that I can figure could do something like that, and that violently would be the engine.... but for the life of me I cant imagine what exactly? and there is (as far as I can tell, no loss of power when its making the whirr sound.

Waiting for this brutal winter to end so I can replace injectors, check valves, etc. Maybe I will find something then.

Seems odd that the Calgary Safaris are going to sh*t.....

Murray

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
I bet the "whirr" is just your fan. They all engage until the fluid warms up a bit and then just free rotate. The bang is likely a worn panhard or control arm bushing. This too is very common on the Y60s.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts