Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq 4.2 peterol lwb & mk turbo diesel shorty
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im having trobles with the glow plug light on my dash (mk 3.3 turbo diesel) it only glows for 3 seconds if i turn radio off and listen roughly about 20 seconds after light goes out i can hear relay clunk ready to start ,how can i get the light on the dash to stay on for the same amount of time it use to im not sure wat ive done to change it.

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
You could check the connection plug (located near the fuel filter) it could be full of mud. Just undo the connector and give it a spray with CRC of WD40.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Dont all the MQ/MKs do this
I dont think anyone relies on the light anymore
Go for the "clicking"relay sound

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Yeah, my 24v stays on as long as the relay.

Maybe it's because halving the voltage doubled the speed the light goes out...

Jokes! :p

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Mine used to flicker until I cleaned up the contacts!

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
im having trobles with the glow plug light on my dash (mk 3.3 turbo diesel) it only glows for 3 seconds if i turn radio off and listen roughly about 20 seconds after light goes out i can hear relay clunk ready to start ,how can i get the light on the dash to stay on for the same amount of time it use to im not sure wat ive done to change it.
The light only stays on for a short time. What you need to do is wait till you hear that relay drop out and then turn the key to start the engine. You will find it fires much easier than if you try just after the light goes out.

The light is only an indicator to say the glow circuit has activated.
I used to try and start the truck when the light went out and often had to glow it a second time.

After I read the supplement manual it has a timing diagram of the glow plug relay which explains it. Especially in cold weather don't try to start until the relay drops out.

Ric

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
My MK now has an SD33 replacing the SD33T, the engine glows for quite a few seconds. On occasions the light will go out before the glow timer has clicked off, so I am guessing that I have a similar issue, however I really don't care at the minute. Perhaps check how long the correct glow timer lasts, count the seconds then crank.

I just went out and checked mine, it hasn't been started for about 5 days. I counted 15 seconds from the glow light coming on, to the relay clicking off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts