Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering what everyone thinks about GQ vs GU. Don't get me wrong they are both great trucks! I have had a GQ shorty 5" lift TB42 bla bla bla, GQ wagon 6" lift 2.8 bla bla bla, GU wagon 5" lift TD42 bla bla bla and now i have gone back to another GQ wagon. I just think the GQ is a nicer truck overall. Nicer interior, gearbox and seating position. Whats everyone elses 2 cents worth??

·
Registered
202 Posts
gq's, cam when looked after look better i reckon cuz they look tougher. GUs are quiter and smoother and larger inside and dont get rattles. some things are just slightly more refined. cept i dont like the brown plastic on the earlier models of the gu's. ir eckon i'd have a gu if i had the money for a nice one but.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
And the can of worms is open !!!

Many have upgraded to the GU then resorted back to the GQ
(For obvious reasons)

For me
GQ all day everyday
Except bang for buck MQ /MK

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Many have upgraded to the GU then resorted back to the GQ
(For obvious reasons)

For me
GQ all day everyday
Yeah i agree , but i drove a mates GU Ti 4.5 on the weekend and it was friggin much more comfortable than my GQ Ti

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i like the front of the gu's but i like the back of the gq's. Might be able to chop a couple up and make a hybrid :)

·
Registered
nissan
334 Posts
It's the body too, they just look tuff/mean without even having to do any mods to them :p:D

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have a GU 2.8T/D and have recently bought a 97 GQ 4.2T/D and apart from some refinments i think the GQ is a very solid unit mechanicaly thats why i went back to the GQ & away from the computers etc. but thats just me everyone will have there valid points of veiw which is great . Cheers MO

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Ability and durability vs. comfort and computers!

GQ's....The last real Nissan 4WD... before they start to turn them into SUV's.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Obviously i'm biassed but as as a second hand buyer i dont think the changes made for the GU represent the price gap in the second hand marked. $ for ability the GQ has it all ova the GU.

But that said, the somewhat agricultural interior of my AD (DX) safari leaves much for improvement.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Bush pig,
Youll find that good GQs command similar money than GUs

The prices GQs are commanding and getting tells the story

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
149 Posts
my 2c worth

when i was 13 some family friends had GQ shortys for towing there boats and i drove them in the water ski park and feel in love.
I bought my first patrol Oct 2009 it was a MQ with 350 chev, i loved it but the mrs hated it cause it was old and no air con and rusty, went straight to a 98 GU 2.8 T/D, she loved it cause it looked flash and comfy, I thought it was the best, ran in to $$$ trouble so i sold it for a 91 GQ ST30, she hates it, too old, but air con works(lol), im ablosutly in love with my GQ, i dont really know why but i dont think any $$$ trouble in the world will make me sell the old girl, she will loose the rav4 first.haha

The best bit i think is when i ding her up(alittle) i dont worry to much because it isnt a 16K truck like my GU was and easy to fix

GO THE MIGHTY GQ!!

·
Registered
nissan
863 Posts
when i was 13 some family friends had GQ shortys for towing there boats and i drove them in the water ski park and feel in love.
I bought my first patrol Oct 2009 it was a MQ with 350 chev, i loved it but the mrs hated it cause it was old and no air con and rusty, went straight to a 98 GU 2.8 T/D, she loved it cause it looked flash and comfy, I thought it was the best, ran in to $$$ trouble so i sold it for a 91 GQ ST30, she hates it, too old, but air con works(lol), im ablosutly in love with my GQ, i dont really know why but i dont think any $$$ trouble in the world will make me sell the old girl, she will loose the rav4 first.haha

The best bit i think is when i ding her up(alittle) i dont worry to much because it isnt a 16K truck like my GU was and easy to fix

GO THE MIGHTY GQ!!
Exactly right.
We bought a GQ for 2 reasons
1- price, we couldn't really afford a decent GU, but got a nice '88 GQ

2- kids, we have 3 kids & the eldest is only 6, the interior on the gq isn't that flashy so it doesn't matter if they get it a bit messy (or if we get it muddy from offroading)

Price of repairs is cheaper too....

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Mate I have a TD42 GQ, couldn,t afford a GU, and even if I could ,I couldn,t see the sense in bush bashing up something that could owe me 10k more than my GQ through the same torture, scars and damage. If ya can afford drive a GU through bush tracks, all good, and yes the one time I have driven one ( mates) it felt like a limo! But I was terrified I might scratch it ( wasn,t mine obviously) Still reckon when ya park 'em side by side one looks tougher than the other, let you guess! I reckon leave the GU for the ' better off ' folk and when they come down in price we can start smashin 'em ! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
patrol lover

after having 4 gqs i think they are pretty good , gu s are nice to but alot more things to go wrong and harder to modify on a budget but at least i dont get to upset when i break something on mine because least u no you can get bits easy

·
Registered
nissan
458 Posts
Lately i've been thinking about selling my GU its just sitting there with a blown motor. It was a St-L version extremely comfy. All the bells and whistles. I want another one but i dont wanna spend over 10 grand for one. I only want one as a family car. Shopping trolley.

Im up to my 15th GQ patrol and i tell you now im always gonna have a GQ in my yard.
I would choose the GQ to set it up for touring unless i had a spare 35grand for a TD42 GU which you dont wanna scratch. Hard call.

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
IMO if you want a 4x4 that can do the autoroute ks comfortably go the GU, but if all you want is a reliable truck for around town driving and off-roading, you can't beat the GQ. Another very serious point to consider is your budget and what motor do you want.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Tom,
Good point especially regarding motors
A GU 2.8 can be had for less money than what the 4.2 GQs are commanding
Theres plenty on here that are paying mid to late teens for 4.2 GQs

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
A far few comp truck driver upgraded to the GU but then for some odd went back to GQ!! **** Manell was one I can name.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,957 Posts
what you want is a GQ because its cheaper and lighter and smaller, you want a GU because its diffs are better, and its quieter, has a better dash, (ill never buy a leafy)

iv owned both, iv just sold my GU 4.2 wagon, and ill buy another one. im also looking for a GQ as an offroad car. because you can afford to drive a GQ with reckless abandon.

I always have a tear in my eye looking at old videos of my GQ 4.2diesel, my GU was a instrument of great ability offroad, and it sort of made it hard to get close to. . . . it was like a tool, instead of something i could be passionate about. dunno if that makes sense. . . . . GQ =passion, GU =Better, but hard to love.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts