Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys new on here be ready a lots you guys no your stuff, might need some help going to change a 1990 maverick from auto to manaul on the weekend if i get all the parts in time the wrecker said he would try to get the parts out of a gq he has there by Thursday, is there anything i need to watch out for as this is the first time i am doing this in a 4x4 drive and will be doing it at home in the garage

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
Have a quick search, This topic comes up quite often and there's plenty of info.
The main issue is the wiring. If you have the wiring diagrams and know how to read them you will be right. Also the boxes are bloody heavy so remove the transfer separatly if you can to make it a bit easier.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the heads up i would have tried to do it in one hit, the wiring part your talking about is so the motor will start and the revise lights still work

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
Yeah you'll need to bridge the inhibator switch circuit so the engine will start. Mines bridged at one of the connectors near the battery I think. Been ages since I did it but pretty sure it was there. I think I changed to the manual harness for the gearbox/ transfer because I had one spare but you could probably just cut and solder what you've got to make the lights work. I think there is an extra switch on the transfer for the autos too, but you just leave it unconnected with the manual.

·
Registered
nissan gq swb
483 Posts
cjd, can I ask why you are ditching the auto for the manual? I have an auto as well, but not sure if I want to change(getting old, and lazy:lol:)

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don't like autos that much and this one has **** its self, reco auto around $2800 change over (not fitted) from wholesale automatic transmissions in melb, can get parts for manaul conversion from niss4x4 in williamstown melb for $1k i did get quotes of up to $1300

·
Registered
nissan gq swb
483 Posts
Yeah, I see a lot of manual trans and cases for not a lot of money on Ebay.
I may get some bits oneday just in case I need to swap. Or get a spare auto, and rebuild it myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts