Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats a good brand of DIY window tint?
Not for my Patrol, thats covered. It's for my runabout/work wagon 2wd and I want to tint the rear tailgate window medium, the back side windows and back door windows dark, and the front door windows light. I need to keep the UV and heat off my gear and myself. The Ford a/cond is good but the wagon has a lot of glass. :neutral:

Any good tints out there?

Cheers, sudso

·
Registered
Nissan
1,442 Posts
Hey Dave

Ive did a bit of looking around for tint fro my troll about 6 months back and found tint from Super Cheap Auto, The brand is Altrex.

It was out on sale for $25 a roll. I ended up going for %5 ultra dark black smoke.

What i love the most about it is that its not that crappy purple on the inside and it came with a 5 year warranty

Oh and i only did it from the b pillar back\

Cheers Matt

·
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt, I remember now when you posted up the awesome job you did of your tinting! ;) Looks brilliant. How is it holding up? Obviously it depends on the prep and care factor of the bloke doing it too.
Does the Altrex come in lighter shades too obviously? The 5% would be perfect for my B pillar back as well.
I know the horrible purple schit you're talking about, the original owner of my GQ had it on the all the doors and rear windows. The one piece glass behind the C pillars are a nice smoke colour though.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,442 Posts
No worries!!

Yeah man seems to be fine so far, no bubbling or peeling :iconbana:

Well i guess its like any thing, prep is a huge part of anything.

Yes they also do a %35(Legal), %20 and %5. I just figured because it has cost me stuff all to do i would just do it as dark as possible and if i get defected for it its not like i have just wasted 400 bucks.

With that said, haven't been looked at by the cops for it :)

·
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries!!

Yeah man seems to be fine so far, no bubbling or peeling :iconbana:

Well i guess its like any thing, prep is a huge part of anything.

Yes they also do a %35(Legal), %20 and %5. I just figured because it has cost me stuff all to do i would just do it as dark as possible and if i get defected for it its not like i have just wasted 400 bucks.

With that said, haven't been looked at by the cops for it :)
C pillar back you can black right out legally if you want but not ideal.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,689 Posts
3M for window tint.

Warrenty is irrelevant because unless you are a professional tinter they won't cover it.

·
Registered
nissan
1,207 Posts
Yes^ (nothing to do with the tint) but i kinda like all those photos actually Matt :punkrock:

·
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3M for window tint.
I thought that today too. A mate is a rep for 3M and I saw him this morning so he's going to get me some prices for rolls.
Another mate here in our club has a paint and panel shop that also does a bit of tinting work and he reckons Sunguard is the go. I had that on my Rodeo and it was excellent stuff.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Love the look of your tint and wouldnt mind doing my own. Do you have to remove the glass or can it be done with the windows in place?

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,689 Posts
The most important thing about tinting is getting everything clean.
Even the smallest amount of dust will cause bubbles and ruin the job.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
sudso said:
C pillar back you can black right out legally if you want
apparently not.. theres another thread with ADR's and **** in it... was only recent too. that was my plan but its expensive to get removed.

·
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
apparently not.. theres another thread with ADR's and **** in it... was only recent too. that was my plan but its expensive to get removed.
So does that mean rigs with drawers or gear stacked right up to the roof mean it's illegal too since you cant see out the the back side windows?
I wont be blacking mine out on the work bus. I'll be making drawers for the Patrol too so I wont be able to see out those windows anyway.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
893 Posts
that link didnt work nissankid

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
So does that mean rigs with drawers or gear stacked right up to the roof mean it's illegal too since you cant see out the the back side windows?
I wont be blacking mine out on the work bus. I'll be making drawers for the Patrol too so I wont be able to see out those windows anyway.
Trucksters just having a go at me and my corrigated iron rear windshield, bit below the belt buddy lol, at least she keeps the squirrels out

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
sudso said:
dont shoot the messenger.. We have had this thread many times and some dude on here has the actual adr that was discussed.

what bout meat carters, what about tradey vans, what about blah blah blah...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts