Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000 GU Patrol wagon TD converted
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, needing a hand with another issue.
Got a gu with a td42 in it that will start and idle fine but as soon as it's revved to 1k rpm it will miss fire and carry on. Motor ran fine when it was removed. I replaced bottom end bearings and haven't touched the top. Fuel pump is timed. I had injectors serviced and washers replaced. New fuel filter. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like it's sucking air? Check all fuel hose joints, or temp replace last hose with clear hose and look for bubbles to confirm. I had a cracked solid fuel line which was a PITA to find, hopefully not your issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like it's sucking air? Check all fuel hose joints, or temp replace last hose with clear hose and look for bubbles to confirm. I had a cracked solid fuel line which was a PITA to find, hopefully not your issue.
That does sound like a pain. I'm going to chat with my boss (head mechanic) and see what he reckons before I get carried away. He has the ability to fix things like magic 😂 its almost annoying

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
1,091 Posts
Can also be as simple as an issue from the fuel filter not sealing properly on the primer pump, is the primer pump hard when you pump it? Also the fitting on the bottom (water seperator) can also be an area where it sucks in air if not sealed properly. I would be checking around the fuel filter that you recently replaced first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can also be as simple as an issue from the fuel filter not sealing properly on the primer pump, is the primer pump hard when you pump it? Also the fitting on the bottom (water seperator) can also be an area where it sucks in air if not sealed properly. I would be checking around the fuel filter that you recently replaced first.
Ill check the primer pump when I get home and see what it does

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
1,091 Posts
Ill check the primer pump when I get home and see what it does
Should be hard all the time, if its not get someone to keep pumping it while you start and rev the vehicle and see if your problem goes away if it does then you know what the cause is.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,806 Posts
Could also check down inside the inlet to the IP (remove the banjo bolt).
The gauze strainer, if still present, might be restricted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could also check down inside the inlet to the IP (remove the banjo bolt).
The gauze strainer, if still present, might be restricted.
Not there anymore, checked yesterday

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should be hard all the time, if its not get someone to keep pumping it while you start and rev the vehicle and see if your problem goes away if it does then you know what the cause is.
Doesnt go hard, leaking from the pump. Looks like a plate. Which im told has an o ring behind it. Jim
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Machine Engineering

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Primed it and fuel leaked from the banjo from the filter. Tightened it, and now it squirts from the bottom of the filter. The little water drain bung.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hows it run now?
Same as before. I've decided to degrease all the injectors and let it dry. Then run it tomorrow to try and narrow down on injector 5's leak. I'm beginning to think the fuel pipes might be the issue. A crack somewhere

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
1,091 Posts
Same as before. I've decided to degrease all the injectors and let it dry. Then run it tomorrow to try and narrow down on injector 5's leak. I'm beginning to think the fuel pipes might be the issue. A crack somewhere
If you did the injectors its very easy to break one of the steel hoses while removing from the injectors.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I reckon thats what happened although it was leaking before I did injectors
yep I reckon a cracked injector pipe, renown for cracking when doing injector removal. I’ve always replaced that pipe when doing injectors

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yep I reckon a cracked injector pipe, renown for cracking when doing injector removal. I’ve always replaced that pipe when doing injectors
Ok so late response. After degreasing the fuel pipes and return rail, and then having it run and idle, there are no visible signs of fuel leaking from the injectors, return or pump. I am checking the pump lift tomorrow and making sure that's smicko. Then I guess if that's OK valve clearances after that. It's odd, I had my boss, the head mechanic at work who has a gq42, come and have a squiz. Got him scratching his head too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fuel pump lift has been reset. All back together. Bypassed the fuel filter for the time being. Ran better but now misses at 12000 rpm. The 4x4 wreckers told me to check my fuel lines. On the pump which port should go to cylinder 1? I know the firing order but I'm unsure which is the right outlet. Can't find a definite answer on google.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts