Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after having gotten my dumb asz stuck Sunday afternoon, I decided that my '94 LWB and I need:
  • a 2" spring lift;
  • slightly taller tires; and
  • better driving skills (not necessarily in that order).
What's more, my wife agreed to the first two! So I gotta move fast before she changes her mind.

So what tires can I fit on my car (stock or no more than 2" spring lift) without scrubbing? (Around here, you can't really ask a tire dealer for advice. In this country, stuff is sold on the principle of "buyer beware" so I need your help.) I am sort of inclined to something tall and narrow, like a 235/85R16.

I currently have a set of 265/75R16 and a set of 255/75R15 tires. I have a set of 15" and a set of 16" rims. This being Ukraine, I get to do a lot of snow/rain/asphalt/mud/gravel/ice driving, and that's before going off-road.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
285/75/16s mate or a set of 33s will serve you well. Look at a Mud tyre of some description, not sure what is available there. I have a set of Kuhmo KL71s and reckon they are great, check in the tyre section for some great reviews.

What offset are the rims? this will make a bit of a difference when fitting bigger tyres and you might have to swap rims if you have a crappy offset.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
38x13.5x15 will only need a minor gaurd massage with a grinder, lol

seriously same as above on the right offset rims should see no scrap on 2" lift , reckon on standard hieght you'll have issues at full streach on the rear, but that's guessing that you have a waggon body and not a ute/flatbed body ;)

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
285/75/16s mate or a set of 33s will serve you well. Look at a Mud tyre of some description, not sure what is available there. I have a set of Kuhmo KL71s and reckon they are great, check in the tyre section for some great reviews.

What offset are the rims? this will make a bit of a difference when fitting bigger tyres and you might have to swap rims if you have a crappy offset.
Will 285/75/16 scrub at stock height?

Far as I know, my 16" rims are standard GQ offset. No clue on the 15" rims.

The Kumho KL71s are a prime contender, as they seem to do almost everything fairly well. How do they like snow or ice? Some other candidates are Hankook MTs, Michelin MTs and the Nokian MTs. I guess KMs are also a fairly safe choice.

We can get a decent selection of MT tires in Ukraine (but not Simex), but the prices for almost any tire are highway robbery. For instance, 235/85R16 KL71s are almost USD250/tire, plus balancing and install. You'll pay (a lot) more for larger sizes. And good luck getting any dealer here to honor a warranty.

So I can only afford to do this right the first time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts